New Turf at Mitchell

cityofRaven

On 5/25/2017 at 1:02 PM, cityofRaven said:

Saw the new turf at Mitchell was down. Wonder how much of a life span the field's at Ernie Hicks and Fuller Field have left in them?

On looks alone Richlands turf still looks brand new.  I'm not sure what wore it out so quickly at Mitchell I guess they play 10+ high school games, 6 college games plus a season of college practices, little league, middle school and JV games, the concerts couldn't have helped any either 

9 hours ago, techfan said:

I'm not sure what wore it out so quickly at Mitchell I guess they play 10+ high school games, 6 college games plus a season of college practices, little league, middle school and JV games, the concerts couldn't have helped any either 

The snowplow that Bluefield College used to clear snow of the field is what destroyed it....its only been mentioned about 1,000 or so times...

6 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

Ok serious question for a moment.  We all know that a snow plow or blade is a bad idea on turf...what would be the best way for removal when the need arises again?

One of those fancy machines the NFL uses? I guess snowblowers could work, maybe. That's actually a really good question. 

I saw several snow/leaf blowers being used at Salem during the D3 National Championship game once.  Been several years ago but I would assume that would/should be commonplace.  Seems like they were only concentrating on the 5 and 10 yard lines though.  Not the entire field

I also recall some controversy over the use of some form of "ice melt" chemical compound that led to several players receiving severe skin irritations requiring medical treatment.  I don't believe that took place in Salem though.  

34 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

Ok serious question for a moment.  We all know that a snow plow or blade is a bad idea on turf...what would be the best way for removal when the need arises again?

Yeah snowblowers would be the best option. Most places if they know they are expecting a lot of snow will tarp it and shovel off from there. 

2 hours ago, mv91 said:

Shew!!!  As a Dolphins fan, that Snowplow game brings back bad memories!!  lol

Yeh, I was a Dolphins fan back in the day, and I think that, at age 15, was the first time I dropped the F-bomb in front of my mom...it was something like "What the f**???  That ain't f***ing fair!!!!!"  I got the "its only a game" speech afterwards.  Don't guess she realized I had picked the Dolphins on a parlay card that weekend...it was more than just a game, I had money riding on that game...