new districts/conferences

Tigers_07

Conferences are gone.  It's a 4-region set-up as it was in years past with a few caveats.  Several districts in our area have/are changing significantly.  Specifically, the Mountain Empire, Three Rivers and Southwest.

http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/alignment-final-24-region-alignment-plan1.pdf

http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/alignment-2017-18-2018-19-final-district-alignment-plan.pdf

1 hour ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

What does this mean for the playoff picture? Are we still gonna let 2-8 teams in the playoffs? 

That 8th place spot could be a bad team, but you're not gonna see several bad teams in like it used to be. Lol. 

5 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

At least this is 1000 times better than that garbage playoff system we had the last few years

Only difference is it keeps travel down isn't it?

1 hour ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Yea but that was the stupidest part of it...the travel was just plain stupid

I liked the idea of it but the travel was a bit much. The state semis was the worst part of it. There was no good reason to flip the teams around for those games. 

15 hours ago, FBDevotee said:

Here are my preseason picks for VHSL Class 2 Region D playoff teams (I think 4 wins gets you in):

Union, Graham, Gate City, Richlands, Central, Lee, Marion, Ridgeview

Hope you're right about Ridgeview.  Hell, after the way last season went, I would be happy with just winning a district game.  I certainly think three of the four non conference games we have are winnable (Grundy, Shelby Valley and Pike Central).

Are the 8 teams you have listed in order of what you think they will be seeded?  If so, I think Richlands is at worse a 2 seed.

Richlands is gonna pick up some pretty big points with two very good 4A teams on the schedule this year. Even if they drop a couple of games, they will still likely outpoint a lot of teams. I see them no worse than 3rd. Just depends on how some other teams do as well. 

The problem I have with it is.....there are still 32 teams that make the playoffs across the state in each Divsion.  That's just to many for my preference, especially since we have 6 Divisions.  I remember back in the day when there was 3 divisions or A, AA, and AA with 4 regions for each level, so that's a total of.......12 regions for the entire state and we had 48 teams in the state of Va make the playoffs total.  We now have........32x6=192 teams in the state make the playoffs.   I even liked it most when there were 6 divisions and there were 24 total regions for the state with 4 teams making the playoffs in each region for a total of 96 teams in the state making the playoffs.  192 teams is just a bit much.  I like the way the new playoff system is designed overall compared to what we recently had and am in favor of it.  I just wish it could have been 4 teams per region, or if not that, then 6 teams make the playoffs in each region with the top 2 seeds getting a bye in week one. That's somewhat of a meeting in the middle I guess.  Either way, high school football is still fun and I will still watch and pay at the gate.

I have a question on districts.  Do they mean anything other than you of course will play each school in your district every year?  Meaning......you automatically do not get in the playoffs by winning your district?  

P.S. Talking about playing up....in the Richmond area (Dominion District) George Wythe of Richmond is Division/"Class" 3 and there are 9 total teams in this district.  Four of those 9 teams are Class/Division 6.  One of those 9 teams is Class/Division 5, and 3 of the 9 teams are Class 4, and then there is George Wythe at Div/Class 3 who will play "up' a minimum of 8 times in the season.  Five of those 8 games for George Wythe are against teams at least 2 Classes or more higher.  It may be safe to say, or at least arguable to say that George Wythe has one of the toughest schedules in Virginia.  M. Walker in the Colonial has a tougher situation with 9 teams in that District and M. Walker is Class 2, and they have 6 other teams in the district that are Class 5.  That's playing up 3 classes/divisions above your level at least 6 out of 10 games for the season.  I don't know much about Richmond area football, but that sure does look tough on paper for George Wythe of Richmond and Maggie Walker.  If Maggie Walker somehow goes 6-4 in regular season, then look out for them for heavens sake.

1 hour ago, TTownTigers said:

I have a question on districts.  Do they mean anything other than you of course will play each school in your district every year?  Meaning......you automatically do not get in the playoffs by winning your district?  

P.S. Talking about playing up....in the Richmond area (Dominion District) George Wythe of Richmond is Division/"Class" 3 and there are 9 total teams in this district.  Four of those 9 teams are Class/Division 6.  One of those 9 teams is Class/Division 5, and 3 of the 9 teams are Class 4, and then there is George Wythe at Div/Class 3 who will play "up' a minimum of 8 times in the season.  Five of those 8 games for George Wythe are against teams at least 2 Classes or more higher.  It may be safe to say, or at least arguable to say that George Wythe has one of the toughest schedules in Virginia.  M. Walker in the Colonial has a tougher situation with 9 teams in that District and M. Walker is Class 2, and they have 6 other teams in the district that are Class 5.  That's playing up 3 classes/divisions above your level at least 6 out of 10 games for the season.  I don't know much about Richmond area football, but that sure does look tough on paper for George Wythe of Richmond and Maggie Walker.  If Maggie Walker somehow goes 6-4 in regular season, then look out for them for heavens sake.

Maggie Walker doesn't have a football team.