Question about a transfer to GC...

RiverRat24

The older Boyd kid won't help with anything in the post but y'all are getting one of the if not the best pure spot up shooter in southwest va. I know the competition isn't great  in 1A but he had 15-20 vs George Wythe and Lancaster last year and both were good teams. I disagree with Dick You don't hit 160-170 3 pointers and score 700-800 points as Fr and soph and not be good enough to go from 1A-2A. Other than Gate City we've been as good if not better than anyone else in the area for the last 3 years.  I think we will be really good again this year and could beat anyone again outside of GC or Graham. The last 3 years we've beat George Wythe 2x, Graham, Eastside 2x, won tournaments at Virginia High and Wise lost last possession games to Richlands and Union. Most impressive went to state all 3 years. I wish we played in a better conference and saw better comp all year instead of just in tournaments. 

I would like the see these kids play at GC.....but I'll sit back in wait and see mode. Alot can change before school starts back.

Which brings to question, how long does a student have to enroll at a new high school? I'm sure there's a dead line of sorts....im just not aware of when it needs to be done. 

Y'all Gate City boys go talk your coach into coming over to Honaker to play a benefit game. It will be a packed house and throw in transfers coming back to play I can guarantee y'all our kids will play their ass off and play it like its a state championship game. We came over there and lost by 3-4 a couple years ago everyone thought we would get smoked. I would like to see return match over here. I know y'all have some D1 kids but our kids have the heart of D1 kids. Play hard and never quit. 

On 6/28/2017 at 7:28 PM, 93Tiger said:

The older Boyd kid won't help with anything in the post but y'all are getting one of the if not the best pure spot up shooter in southwest va. I know the competition isn't great  in 1A but he had 15-20 vs George Wythe and Lancaster last year and both were good teams. I disagree with Dick You don't hit 160-170 3 pointers and score 700-800 points as Fr and soph and not be good enough to go from 1A-2A. Other than Gate City we've been as good if not better than anyone else in the area for the last 3 years.  I think we will be really good again this year and could beat anyone again outside of GC or Graham. The last 3 years we've beat George Wythe 2x, Graham, Eastside 2x, won tournaments at Virginia High and Wise lost last possession games to Richlands and Union. Most impressive went to state all 3 years. I wish we played in a better conference and saw better comp all year instead of just in tournaments. 

You sure know a lot of his stats... sound kind of like his father. Maybe his uncle. 

From what I hear GC had better get all the young talent they can get because after the McClung, Ervin and Dean kids leave there will not be anything left to work with. 

Friend of mine went and watched them at Tech. Said Dean was the only real player they had and they got trashed bad every game. 

GC fans better pack the stands early the next two years. All the info I get is that the fun will be gone just as quick as it came. 

Hoping the 'Cats have a strong transition to the AA ranks this year after playing in the A league for awhile. 

Dick I've not missed maybe 5 games honaker has played since around 2010 I could tell you close to what any good players at the school have averaged that have played since then. Dunham told me at the end of last year he had 4 returning starters that would all break 1000 pts next year and it was going to the best chance to win state since Robinettes Jr year. A lot has changed since then. 

6 hours ago, HowTheWestWasWon2017 said:

From what I hear GC had better get all the young talent they can get because after the McClung, Ervin and Dean kids leave there will not be anything left to work with. 

Friend of mine went and watched them at Tech. Said Dean was the only real player they had and they got trashed bad every game. 

GC fans better pack the stands early the next two years. All the info I get is that the fun will be gone just as quick as it came. 

Hoping the 'Cats have a strong transition to the AA ranks this year after playing in the A league for awhile. 

hahahahahahahaha   Pretty funny.

Yeah..........GC has not played pretty decent basketball for a number of years now. I expect a total collapse in two years. May not win a game.

15 hours ago, 93Tiger said:

Y'all Gate City boys go talk your coach into coming over to Honaker to play a benefit game. It will be a packed house and throw in transfers coming back to play I can guarantee y'all our kids will play their ass off and play it like its a state championship game. We came over there and lost by 3-4 a couple years ago everyone thought we would get smoked. I would like to see return match over here. I know y'all have some D1 kids but our kids have the heart of D1 kids. Play hard and never quit. 

Sometimes when you play hard, you still lose. Gate City also plays hard and with all things equal, the talent level favors Gate City. Equally important, Gate City has some talented kids and a couple are D1, but don't forget that the reasons these kids are D1 is not because of talent alone. There is the hard work mentality and motivation to be good, and to get better. For example, McClung is and has been a gym rat since age 5.  He's talented for sure, but years of practice and hard work has helped him perfect that talent to make him D1.  I guess what I'm saying is....two teams can play hard and because Honaker plays hard doesn't mean the other team can't play equally as hard or have the same desire to win.

4 hours ago, TTownTigers said:

Sometimes when you play hard, you still lose. Gate City also plays hard and with all things equal, the talent level favors Gate City. Equally important, Gate City has some talented kids and a couple are D1, but don't forget that the reasons these kids are D1 is not because of talent alone. There is the hard work mentality and motivation to be good, and to get better. For example, McClung is and has been a gym rat since age 5.  He's talented for sure, but years of practice and hard work has helped him perfect that talent to make him D1.  I guess what I'm saying is....two teams can play hard and because Honaker plays hard doesn't mean the other team can't play equally as hard or have the same desire to win.

I'm not saying we would beat GC it would be a fun atmosphere with kids giving it their all. It would have a playoff feel to it just for a benefit game and they owe us a return trip. 

2 hours ago, 93Tiger said:

I'm not saying we would beat GC it would be a fun atmosphere with kids giving it their all. It would have a playoff feel to it just for a benefit game and they owe us a return trip. 

I agree that would be a cool atmosphere.  The 2 times I have been to Honaker, there was an awesome crowd that was loud and made it tough for the opponent.  The atmosphere was fantastic. Heck, you never know until the two teams play in that....Honaker maybe could take down the Gate.  I guess GC would have to be favored on paper with what is returning, but you never know until they play the games and no doubt, GC does owe the Honaker a return trip. I hope Honaker can go far in the playoffs and kick some butt outside of SWVA.

I think this will be our last year of having a shot for awhile. We had 3 upcoming 9th graders who will be great players. Looks like 2 Transferred and I would be shocked if the other kid stays past this year.  We've been bit more than any school in Southwest Va. would've had 2 more State baseball titles if kids would just stay put. I blame Lebron going to Miami for kids always looking to play with their friends and not care about loyalty. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2017 at 7:28 PM, 93Tiger said:

So you are saying GC is getting a couple of brothers from?  Honaker?  I must have missed something in this thread or forum.