Question about a transfer to GC...

RiverRat24

I heard someone mention today that theres possibly a player from Honaker transferring to GC for basketball.  Does anyone know if there's any truth to this or not?  First I've heard of it but I'm out of the loop where I'm working so much OT lately.  

Appreciate the info 93Tiger.  I had heard only 1 kid was transferring and was told he played basketball for Honaker last year and was a solid player.  so was the info I heard accurate? (minus there's 2 and not 1) 

Most people over this way thought their dad was getting the head coaching job. School board wanted it to go to a teacher at the school so it turned into typical politics the teacher got it. So they're moving to Gate City. One of the boys will be a JR the other will be in the 9th. The JR was all conference as freshmen and sophomore but that's playing in the CRC it will be big step up in 2a and yalls conference. He was better as a freshmen broke the career 3pt record at Honaker in his Fr year almost made 100 3s.  Tanner Robinette probably deserves some of that credit for getting doubled and triple teamed.  Great shooter I'm sure he will fit in over there. The Fr would have played varsity at honaker this year and would have been a star over here playing 1A. It will be interesting to see how they do playing at GC. But we wish them the best no hard feelings. When they 1st made the announcement I thought the whole team would transfer but it sounds like everything has settled down some. 

well I hate a political debacle has pushed them away from Honaker.....sadly more times than not that's the culprit for parents and kids packing up and moving to another school.  But I for one am more than happy to have them come play/be a part of GC.  It will be a big step up for them but if they were successful at Honaker they will fit right in at GC.  It will be like playing with Robinette for them.....excpet there will be 2-3 players drawing alot of attention in Mac, Zac, and Dean.  So there will be ample opportunities for them to score. Once they get to practicing with the guys and start to mesh they will be a huge asset whether it be starting or coming off the bench.   GC, like most teams around the area, can use all the depth they can get.  

Larry maybe you could answer this for me.  Does the Maxwell kid that transferred from DB play basketball too.....or is he strictly a football player?

2 hours ago, RiverRat24 said:

well I hate a political debacle has pushed them away from Honaker.....sadly more times than not that's the culprit for parents and kids packing up and moving to another school.  But I for one am more than happy to have them come play/be a part of GC.  It will be a big step up for them but if they were successful at Honaker they will fit right in at GC.  It will be like playing with Robinette for them.....excpet there will be 2-3 players drawing alot of attention in Mac, Zac, and Dean.  So there will be ample opportunities for them to score. Once they get to practicing with the guys and start to mesh they will be a huge asset whether it be starting or coming off the bench.   GC, like most teams around the area, can use all the depth they can get.  

Larry maybe you could answer this for me.  Does the Maxwell kid that transferred from DB play basketball too.....or is he strictly a football player?

He didn't play basketball last season. Not sure if he just sat last year out or just doesn't play. I know he didn't play last year because he was at almost every GC game. 

22 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

He didn't play basketball last season. Not sure if he just sat last year out or just doesn't play. I know he didn't play last year because he was at almost every GC game. 

was thinking since one of you guys made the comment about him being at almost every GC basketball game last year that he evidently didn't play....but there's a first for everything.  DBs basketball team has fell off the map though due to kids transferring to play for the Greenies ....so I can see why he might not want to play for them even if he liked some Hoops 

I helped coach football when Tra was in 7th he was by far the best QB in the league. I know he's good at basketball but I think football is his sport. Our football has went downhill last couple of years I had high hopes him and the rest of that group would get us back playing for championships. We have good line, backs and receivers with him at Qb could have been special. 

Not going to lie............this sounds a little exciting, but I will believe it when I see it. (not saying you guys do not know what you are talking about. just saying that parents' plans can change.)

When this thread started, I was hoping that the kid would be 6'10" tall and weigh 275 lbs. However, as already pointed out, we can use depth. Being able to give kids some extra rest during the games, and bringing in fresh legs would be great for us. Fresh legs will help those jump shots fall. May also allow us to get more kids involved and get back to playing a little tougher defense.

If these kids are as good as advertised, and we see the expected improvement from George & Compton, and Mac & Ervin elevate their games a little..........we should (baring injuries) have a special team next year.

im the same way.....in wait and see mode.   Things like this are subject to change very quickly.  If it happens then thats great....if it doesn't then maybe it means they resolved some things at Honaker and that's great too.

Not sure the kid that is the oldest can play at GC. He was good because of the drive and kick p[laying single A ball. As mentioned, much of his success came from Tanner Robinette getting triple teamed in the paint. The kid is 5'8 and maybe 120 pounds... if it is the same fam/kids I am thinking it is. 

McClung and Ervin both attract plenty of attention when they drive to the bucket.  If he can shoot the rock and likes playing around the perimeter then it would be no different at GC.....the basket is the same size in GC as it is in any of the 1A schools.  If GC isn't going to have a true post presence (not counting out George at all....i think he will do well) then they really need to be lights out from the arc.  Bring on all the shooters....they will have ample opportunity to get open looks. If George does prove to be a good post presence....then even better that GC has plenty of shooters aside from Mac, Zac, and Dean.

5'8 or 6'8, if you can shoot the ball, you can shoot the ball. Like RR said, Mac and Zac will drive enough and pick up a double team enough times to dish to this kid and Dean for open 3's ALOT. All Conference is All Conference no matter what conference it's in. And to do it as a Fr and So isn't easy. We need role players at GC, and if this kids job is score 6-9 points from the behind the arc, then so be it. Kimbler helped us in that department last season, and Kimbler's points always came at the right time. If he comes in and fills this spot, then that's great. I rather see 7 players score 10 each rather than to see Mac and Zac combine for 65 of 80 points.

Gate City needs an inside presence to win a state title because of the defensive side of the ball.  With a tall inside player that can change and contest shots around the rim, it takes Gate City from a top 4/final four like team to a state champion type team. GC has the scorers, and the on ball perimeter D will be good enough, but that on ball perimeter D can get tired when its doing 80% of the scoring. This is why a tall, inside defensive presence for GC could be the difference in state semis and state title. The kid doesn't need to score 14 per game, but only needs to simply change shots and contest shots and create some "one shot and dones" for the opponents. If GC can develop this, then GC can and will win a state title.

I think George and Scotty both know that George will be the key to GC's late season success. Scotty played George as much as possible last year as a Freshman. George looks to be at least 6'6 maybe even 6'7 with very long arms. If George continues to develop and holds that mentality of "I own the paint" then I truly and honestly believe GC brings it home this coming season. (If no major injuries occur) No matter what Mac, Zac, Dean, Compton, D. Vermillion do, George is the key. 

George has the mindset and the edge to him that you want your big man to have.... just hope he has added a little to his frame to have the body to back it up.  The kid is as gritty as they come.  If he had another 40 lbs to him he would be scary.  I really believe he will will be one of the most improved players on the team this year.....with Ervin right along with him.