VHSL post 2017 Master Schedule: here is link

edrforshey

Couple of quick takeaways, the Mountain District is called the "Mountain 7." Interesting. Also, Richlands has moved their home games to 7:00pm this year instead of 7:30. Only the Bluefield game in Mitchell is at 7:30. I don't like that. 

14 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Couple of quick takeaways, the Mountain District is called the "Mountain 7." Interesting. Also, Richlands has moved their home games to 7:00pm this year instead of 7:30. Only the Bluefield game in Mitchell is at 7:30. I don't like that. 

I don't like it either. Already tough making it to Richlands by 7:30 for me. 

The Mountain Empire and Three Rivers have moved to 7PM as well.  

I also noticed Grayson will be the lone member of the MED competing in Region D.  Not sure how I missed that before?!?!?  Must be some concession involving Grayson jerking the VHSL around over the move to the SWD.  Not sure but interesting.

1 hour ago, cityofRaven said:

And WVVA still won't have the ends of games/postgame interviews on their highlight show.

There will never be a game that gets the end on the show. It's not possible. 

Having worked there for 2 months now, I've realized  just how hard they work for even a normal night, much less a football Friday. 

They have 26 schools they cover. There are 2 sports guys. They have to send out reporters to get highlights of the games they can't get to. Those reporters then have to use the internet to send the clips back to the station. Matthew and I did this for a baseball semi in Charleston a few weeks back and it took him 50 minutes to send in a 45 second VO and a 25 second interview clip, plus Matt's 15 second standup  

They try to get each highlight around the 45 second mark. When you add up sometimes 15+ games of clips coming in, and add on the fact that they have to actually edit and make their "shot sheets" for every single game, it's not a quick process. 

Games end on average around 10:15 or so. If they stayed to the end of every game they had to cover, A: it wouldn't be possible because there aren't enough reporters or cameras, and B: they wouldn't get ANY highlights back to the station at all, and there would be no Football Friday. 

You guys can hate on AJ and Matt and WVVA all you want, but after working there and being a part of it, I have so much more respect for those guys up there. 

Tazewell County is in the 59 News and WOAY market along with WVVA. When was the last time you saw a 59 News car at a Richlands or Tazewell home football game NOT against Graham or Bluefield? WVVA has archive footage of every home game for the TazCo teams for the last decade plus footage they get from other NBC stations in other markets. We are so lucky at Richlands/Tazewell/Graham that they cover our schools, because the other 2 stations in the market damn sure don't and won't. 

/endrant 

Not hating on anyone and I know as well as you do what it takes to do these shows. It was piss poor long before they showed up.

A lot of other stations have no problem at getting post game interviews and game winning touchdowns for their show is all I'm saying. 

I'll use RHS as an example. It's a 45 min drive from Richlands to WVVA. Last year all but 1 of our games ended after 10. Factor in a 5 min interview. Then getting back to the car and fighting traffic out, you're lucky to get back at 11, with a shoe starting at 11:15. 

It took us 10 min to get the clips loaded into Avid last night when I shot the WV Miners game. And then another 10-15 to edit it all together. And that's just a 5-6 clip highlight of baseball. 

They could probably do it for Graham, Bluefield and Princeton. But it's just not feisable given the sheer amount of highlights. There's so much more to it than even I thought there would be, and I'm going to school for this. 

I like the 7:30 games for being able to get to games by 6 without too many rushes throughout the season.  Its a push to make the 7:00 games to be at the school by 5:30.  On the other hand, with non mercy rule games taking so long to play since the 3 yard and a cloud of dust days are gone it is nice to still get off the field around 10.  

I think with the boom of social media the Friday Night football shows have lost some of their importance(that's not the word I want but its all I got), id much rather see a more comprehensive football round up  with better/more video and interviews with players and coaches on Saturday morning. FB or twitter provides all the scores

32 minutes ago, redtiger said:

I think with the boom of social media the Friday Night football shows have lost some of their importance(that's not the word I want but its all I got), id much rather see a more comprehensive football round up  with better/more video and interviews with players and coaches on Saturday morning. FB or twitter provides all the scores

That may be true, but the majority of the demographic that watch local news is older, and probably not a bit Twitter market. They still rely on local news stations for their scores and such. It doesn't make a difference to those of us who are younger and know the power of Twitter, but the demos rarely overlap. That's my opinion, anyways.

16 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

Man, these 7pm games are gonna be awful! I'll barely make it home games when I'm working day shifts, guess I'll have to leave even earlier on away games. 

Definitely makes it tough. 

Another negative to earlier start time is the players and fans having to fight the sun/scorching heat for an extra 30 mins.  If it got cold in October like it used to this wouldn't be an issue....but it stays in the 80s all the way into and usually through October now and will make for a miserably hot and schveaty experience for 3/4 of the season.  I'll go ahead and buy stocks in Monkey Butt powder now...SWVA is gonna be RIPE!

8 hours ago, RiverRat24 said:

Another negative to earlier start time is the players and fans having to fight the sun/scorching heat for an extra 30 mins.  If it got cold in October like it used to this wouldn't be an issue....but it stays in the 80s all the way into and usually through October now and will make for a miserably hot and schveaty experience for 3/4 of the season.  I'll go ahead and buy stocks in Monkey Butt powder now...SWVA is gonna be RIPE!

That's probably the weakest excuse imaginable, with all due respect.

First, humidity tends to make the air feel hotter than it actually is; there is virtually no humidity in October in the mountains.  Second, after October 10, there have only been 5 recorded times that the temperature has topped 80 degrees (at least in Tazewell County), the worst of which is a sweltering 83.  Third, those daytime highs are usually set between 3-4 PM, hours before kickoff. Fourth, a 30-minute start difference may change the temperature by a whopping 1-2 degrees.

The "that's how we've always done it" excuse is even better than this.

53 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

First, humidity tends to make the air feel hotter than it actually is; there is virtually no humidity in October in the mountains.  Second, after October 10, there have only been 5 recorded times that the temperature has topped 80 degrees (at least in Tazewell County), the worst of which is a sweltering 83.  Third, those daytime highs are usually set between 3-4 PM, hours before kickoff. Fourth, a 30-minute start difference may change the temperature by a whopping 1-2 degrees.

Take that science junk elsewhere, hippie!

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

That's probably the weakest excuse imaginable, with all due respect.

The "that's how we've always done it" excuse is even better than this.

well, with all due respect, it was a statement and not an excuse for anything.  Calling it an excuse doesn't even make any sense in what I stated....excuse for what? I claimed it was a negative or "Con" if you will.  I never used it as a reason to not go to the games so I'm not sure where your going with this one.  A bit of a reach on your part.  Unless you was referring to me buying stocks in Monkey Butt....in which it's a damn good excuse to do that because the sun will be blaring for an extra 30 mins of a game and in GC at Legion Field it beams down right on your face until the sun goes completely down.  

Furthermore, I didn't look at statistics on weather over the past century before I made a general post....but if I did Tazewell County would have nothing to do with Scott County as temperatures and humidity between the two areas do vary a bit. Also, degree of temperature change isn't alot different in that 30 min span were discussing here at kickoff....i agree with you there.  But the sun will be out another 30 mins and history has it....that glowing ball of fire in the sky does make a difference in the temperature.  No need for statistics to figure that one out.  

And lastly, for the record, in Gate City the record high for every single day in the month of October is over 80°.....with the first half of the month actually being closer to the 90° mark. 

I said all of this to conclude by saying.....i really don't give a rat's ass when the games start or how hot it is. I wasn't actually being serious in my previous post.  I'll be in the bleachers sweating like everyone else with a slice of pizza and a smile like I have been for years.  

Rat is right though. Some stadiums become far less pleasurable to play at as a player and to watch at as a fan with 30 more minutes of sun. Gate City being one of those. As a player early on in the season, we always tried to defend the west endzone at Legion (credit union/scoreboard) due to the sun to start the game. Plus you would have the scoreboard in your vision for the 2nd quarter. And I honestly believe if teams bounce back from 7 to 7:30 games it will mess with their preparations for getting ready. Every team has a routine, and one they are comfortable with. If you rush it, you become off mentally which can affect your play. I don't really care about the heat, and the players won't either. The players will have spent all summer in the miserable sun anyways. They won't think twice about it. But they will have to be sure they are extra hydrated, just like always early on in the season. And as fans, my friends and I usually leave for away games around 4:30. Now we'll have to leave at 4. It just puts everything into a rush on a Friday, that shouldn't be rushed. If football games were played during the middle of the week 7pm makes more sense. But on the weekend it doesn't matter. But I'll take 7pm kickoffs and have 4 regions back. I'll make that sacrifice for sure. 

1 hour ago, RiverRat24 said:

well, with all due respect, it was a statement and not an excuse for anything.  Calling it an excuse doesn't even make any sense in what I stated....excuse for what? I claimed it was a negative or "Con" if you will.  I never used it as a reason to not go to the games so I'm not sure where your going with this one.  A bit of a reach on your part.  Unless you was referring to me buying stocks in Monkey Butt....in which it's a damn good excuse to do that because the sun will be blaring for an extra 30 mins of a game and in GC at Legion Field it beams down right on your face until the sun goes completely down.  

Furthermore, I didn't look at statistics on weather over the past century before I made a general post....but if I did Tazewell County would have nothing to do with Scott County as temperatures and humidity between the two areas do vary a bit. Also, degree of temperature change isn't alot different in that 30 min span were discussing here at kickoff....i agree with you there.  But the sun will be out another 30 mins and history has it....that glowing ball of fire in the sky does make a difference in the temperature.  No need for statistics to figure that one out.  

And lastly, for the record, in Gate City the record high for every single day in the month of October is over 80°.....with the first half of the month actually being closer to the 90° mark. 

I said all of this to conclude by saying.....i really don't give a rat's ass when the games start or how hot it is. I wasn't actually being serious in my previous post.  I'll be in the bleachers sweating like everyone else with a slice of pizza and a smile like I have been for years.  

I actually edited my original post to be a little kinder toward you, as it could have been read as disparaging in its original format.  You made me sincerely regret doing so, and I will never make that mistake with you again.

You were the one to whine and moan about that legendary Appalachian October heat, for which many treatises have been written and documentaries made.  And frankly, thinking that 30 minutes' difference is meaningful in that regard is asinine.

Toughen up, buttercup.

43 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

Rat is right though. Some stadiums become far less pleasurable to play at as a player and to watch at as a fan with 30 more minutes of sun. Gate City being one of those. As a player early on in the season, we always tried to defend the west endzone at Legion (credit union/scoreboard) due to the sun to start the game.

Interestingly, to the sunset on October 1 in Gate City, VA is 7:15 PM.  So you go from playing after sunset to playing when the sun is so substantially low on the horizon that any obstruction will block it.  By October 11, sunsets are after 7:00 PM, so that point is wholly and entirely moot.

That's about half the season where the sunlight argument is irrelevant.

It takes about 23 days to account for 30 minutes' difference in sunsets.  You're trading not starting in pitch black darkness in late October / early November for a wee bit more sun in August and September.  

It's the most nonsensical, logicless possible argument against the new start time.  Team preparations, I get.  Fans not getting to the games in time, I get.  "The way we've always done it, don't fix what ain't broken", I get.  

So much angst about the weather?  Patently absurd.  No one arguing this point is correct in any modicum whatsoever, thus speaketh the logic police.