VHSL post 2017 Master Schedule: here is link

edrforshey

Just now, cityofRaven said:

I'm yet to hear why this 30 minute change was made/needed in the first place...

Neither have I.  Probably something to do with kids being out too late, safety, or something that a 30 minute time difference won't fix.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of the change, but it's not a hill that I'm going to die on in terms of outrage.

I think the change is because the games are lasting much longer and everyone is getting home much later. There are also less and less local schools in the area so travel has gradually gotten further. Changing the time is just addressing a symptom of the problem.  The real problem is the time it takes to play a game. It is time that we adopted the NFL clock rules. When the ball goes out of bounds and when there is an incomplete pass the clock starts when the ball is set. There is also no need to stop the clock on first downs unless it is in the final two minutes.  Another thing that slows down the games is the fact that they change the ball every play when most of the time that is not necessary. 

The only reason that the clock stops on out of bounds plays and incomplete passes is because back in the day they played the game with only one football. They had to run down the pigskin after an incomplete pass. Sideline plays took a while too because there were no bleachers. The field was roped off and fans stood behind the ropes. When a player went out of bounds it took a little bit of time to find him, get the ball, and mark it. So they made the rule to stop the clock. Those are no longer factors so let's get the clock moving.

One more thing that I have observed. After scores it takes forever to line up for the kickoff. I have timed up to five minutes from the extra point attempt to the actual kickoff. I see no reason not to have a 60 second time between extra point attempt, field goal made, or safety before the ball must be put back in play.

49 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Interestingly, to the sunset on October 1 in Gate City, VA is 7:15 PM.  So you go from playing after sunset to playing when the sun is so substantially low on the horizon that any obstruction will block it.  By October 11, sunsets are after 7:00 PM, so that point is wholly and entirely moot.

That's about half the season where the sunlight argument is irrelevant.

It takes about 23 days to account for 30 minutes' difference in sunsets.  You're trading not starting in pitch black darkness in late October / early November for a wee bit more sun in August and September.  

It's the most nonsensical, logicless possible argument against the new start time.  Team preparations, I get.  Fans not getting to the games in time, I get.  "The way we've always done it, don't fix what ain't broken", I get.  

So much angst about the weather?  Patently absurd.  No one arguing this point is correct in any modicum whatsoever, thus speaketh the logic police.

The only point about the weather I was getting at is that when the sun is gone the game is more enjoyable for everyone. (sun being in your face wise, not hot wise) We did this early on in the season, the first 3 or so games just for the edge of not looking into the sun and making our opponents stare into for a quarter of play. The sun was mostly gone by the start of the 2nd qtr when we had to face the west. By October it didn't matter, That's RiverRat's arguement, not mine. 

But I don't care either way. I played on multiple Saturdays while the sun was out. When I was a player it didn't matter when, where, or what time, I just wanted to hit somebody who wasn't wearing Gate City across their chest. But the weather is not even my arguement. It was just the sun being if your face. It is a legit factor in outdoor sports. And unlike baseball, football players don't have the luxury of wearing sunglasses. For example: 30 more minutes of sun in late August could be the factor of James Mitchell dropping a touchdown pass early in a game that later comes up big for the other team winning. That's how I was thinking of it. Not that "someone may get hot"

And another point not brought up is that, if these kids are leaving school 30-45 minutes early for class leave for away games at 7:30, they'll be getting out of school 1 hour or more earlier now. Because of 30 minutes kids miss more education, some moms and dads gotta leave work that much earlier, everyone will be rushed (speeding) to try to make it to games. All that just because someone doesn't want to get home at 11pm vs 10:30pm on the WEEKEND! 

1 hour ago, Bluefield researcher said:

I think the change is because the games are lasting much longer and everyone is getting home much later. There are also less and less local schools in the area so travel has gradually gotten further. Changing the time is just addressing a symptom of the problem.  The real problem is the time it takes to play a game. It is time that we adopted the NFL clock rules. When the ball goes out of bounds and when there is an incomplete pass the clock starts when the ball is set. There is also no need to stop the clock on first downs unless it is in the final two minutes.  Another thing that slows down the games is the fact that they change the ball every play when most of the time that is not necessary. 

The only reason that the clock stops on out of bounds plays and incomplete passes is because back in the day they played the game with only one football. They had to run down the pigskin after an incomplete pass. Sideline plays took a while too because there were no bleachers. The field was roped off and fans stood behind the ropes. When a player went out of bounds it took a little bit of time to find him, get the ball, and mark it. So they made the rule to stop the clock. Those are no longer factors so let's get the clock moving.

One more thing that I have observed. After scores it takes forever to line up for the kickoff. I have timed up to five minutes from the extra point attempt to the actual kickoff. I see no reason not to have a 60 second time between extra point attempt, field goal made, or safety before the ball must be put back in play.

But what about the good old days when kickoffs were 8pm and teams from Grundy and Richlands would travel to EC Glass in Lynchburg and Harrisonburg for Friday night games?

4 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Grundy played in Lynchburg 4 times. three of the four were before classes had started. That is not to say that there were not some long distance games cause there were. Richlands went to Harrisonburg once.

Fair enough but for the sake of the argument, this distance/time thing shouldn't be an issue for Friday nights.

Just now, cityofRaven said:

Fair enough but for the sake of the argument, this distance/time thing shouldn't be an issue for Friday nights.

Agreed. But parents today run the show. It would help to shorten the length of the games though.

5 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

I actually edited my original post to be a little kinder toward you, as it could have been read as disparaging in its original format.  You made me sincerely regret doing so, and I will never make that mistake with you again.

You were the one to whine and moan about that legendary Appalachian October heat, for which many treatises have been written and documentaries made.  And frankly, thinking that 30 minutes' difference is meaningful in that regard is asinine.

Toughen up, buttercup.

My first post I was obviously just having a little fun hence the "Monkey Butt" comment i made. What compelled you to analyze and throw statistics/science on something i was joking about in the first place is beyond me. If that's your MO, ill be sure to keep my chest waders handy. (only to wade right in and start slinging with you of course)

Sorry fellas....didnt mean to hijack the thread. If I was being totally serious about this 30 minute change in time the only real negative i see is the precedent were setting for the future generations that education is to be put on the backburner to sports.  I'm all for sports on all levels....but I'm a firm believer in the 40 year plan versus the 4-14 year plan. 

Wonder if our opener at V High will be delayed like it has the past two times down there?  That has to be the worst situation there.  Last time the kickoff happened around 8:45.

On other rants it will make it more interesting for me now that I work an hour from home but get off earlier on fridays.  Go home just in time to turn around and leave!  At Marion will be the fun one this year.  Leave Atkins, go home grab my boy and then come back across the mountains.  Fun fun!

Only good thing I'll say is if it is uniform across all area teams then no wondering when does this game start?

16 hours ago, stu_bean said:

Wonder if our opener at V High will be delayed like it has the past two times down there?  That has to be the worst situation there.  Last time the kickoff happened around 8:45.

On other rants it will make it more interesting for me now that I work an hour from home but get off earlier on fridays.  Go home just in time to turn around and leave!  At Marion will be the fun one this year.  Leave Atkins, go home grab my boy and then come back across the mountains.  Fun fun!

Only good thing I'll say is if it is uniform across all area teams then no wondering when does this game start?

Shouldn't be this time.  The Bristol Pirates are away at Elizabethton that night.

I know what you mean about that though.  That was a logistical nightmare trying to get all the fans out of the baseball park and cars out of the parking lot for a game ending at 7 pm and trying to get cars in the parking lot and fans into the football stadium for a game scheduled to start at 7:30.

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 10:38 AM, UVAObserver said:

Neither have I.  Probably something to do with kids being out too late, safety, or something that a 30 minute time difference won't fix.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of the change, but it's not a hill that I'm going to die on in terms of outrage.

Just wondering but could it have something to do with the fact that 99% of the teams run the spread now and throw the ball 50+ times a game? I mean the games sometimes seem like they last forever.

I remember the days of the 8:00pm kickoffs but back then most team ran the ball most of the time and games were usually over by 10:00pm or so

12 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Yea we have no input on these things lol

Just hope there is a good matchup fairly close in week #11

Richlands had the last week BYE for a while. I used it to go scout. Went to Appomattox a few years ago 

Correct me if I am wrong, and believe me you all will, but not that long ago, the games didn't start till eight and everyone complained that games ending too late. I don't why the change was needed, and I like the seven o'clock kick for the playoff's because it's dark at 6 or 6:30. And if it's cloudy or rains the sun isn't going to be a factor anyway. Everything changes that is why life is adjustments and how you deal with them.

17 minutes ago, SXSW said:

Correct me if I am wrong, and believe me you all will, but not that long ago, the games didn't start till eight and everyone complained that games ending too late. I don't why the change was needed, and I like the seven o'clock kick for the playoff's because it's dark at 6 or 6:30. And if it's cloudy or rains the sun isn't going to be a factor anyway. Everything changes that is why life is adjustments and how you deal with them.

But that extra 30 minutes of sunlight and heat are just too much for the delicate, fragile bodies of our Scott County friends to handle...

Maybe the laws of physics change the closer you get to the Devil's Bathtub, similar to how entering Montgomery County makes a person run a 40-meter dash three tenths quicker than he ever did before.

You may be closer to the truth than you think, some of those hollers in Scott County in the winter the sun doesn't come up till 10am and sets at 2pm. But the kickoffs at Gate City will start at 7:30 won't they!