SWVA Sports Podcast Preseason Poll

Ryan4VT

Explain the podcast a little more if you don't mind Ryan. Is it just you or are you going to have a co-host? Is it a weekly thing?

I'm sure you know what you're doing but let me know if you need any help with getting the RSS set up and getting it on iTunes. 

8 hours ago, Bluefield researcher said:

I think we need a class A and Class B poll.

Class A teams IMO.

Princeton
Bluefield
Richlands
Tazewell
Graham
Pulaski County
Gate City
Lee
Union
Abingdon
Giles
Pikeview
Virginia High
Carroll County
Central
Fort Chiswell
Marion
Lebanon
Patrick Henry
John Battle
Grayson County
Radford
Ridgeview

Class B

Thomas Walker
Montcalm
River View
Mount View
James Monroe
George Wythe
Eastside
J. I. Burton
Grundy
Twin Valley
Hurley
Twin Springs
Rye Cove
Castlewood
Honaker
Chilhowie
Rural Retreat
Holston
Galax
Northwood
Narrows
Bland County

I did this list out of my head with what I think are about correct enrollment numbers. If you disagree
please state why because I may be wrong. If I left anyone off my apologies. Also, there isn't much point
in the poll if you are leaving off West Virginia teams intentionally.

I would move PH to group B and GW and Galax to Group A

I like this idea better simply because I have a hard time putting many teams from 1A Region D in a top 10 for the area. Could possibly be the softest Region in the state.

3 hours ago, Tigers_07 said:

or we could rank the top 5 from each class/region as followed

The only reason I didn't do this was because of Abingdon & the few WV schools this site covers. 

But, for purposes of the podcast, we can do top 5 of each region. 

8 hours ago, EH31 said:

Explain the podcast a little more if you don't mind Ryan. Is it just you or are you going to have a co-host? Is it a weekly thing?

I'm sure you know what you're doing but let me know if you need any help with getting the RSS set up and getting it on iTunes. 

Still working out the fine details. Due to my limited time in SWVA, I will likely host it primarily alone. With that said, it's not just going to be talking all the time on every episode. I want to interview coaches, interview the sports writers from the local papers, interview some of you guys. I think that could be really cool. I'll also go over some games from the previous week and preview a few big ones during the next week. It's a really fluid idea right now. 

I'll definitely take you up on the RSS and such, though. 

8 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Still working out the fine details. Due to my limited time in SWVA, I will likely host it primarily alone. With that said, it's not just going to be talking all the time on every episode. I want to interview coaches, interview the sports writers from the local papers, interview some of you guys. I think that could be really cool. I'll also go over some games from the previous week and preview a few big ones during the next week. It's a really fluid idea right now. 

I'll definitely take you up on the RSS and such, though. 

I think it's a cool idea. Over the years people have brought up having a "SWVA Gameday" show which was an interesting idea but not practical. With a podcast you can achieve most of the basis of that idea. And with Skype and a recorder you can do interviews and bring people on without  ever having  to leave your house. I like it.

21 minutes ago, EH31 said:

I think it's a cool idea. Over the years people have brought up having a "SWVA Gameday" show which was an interesting idea but not practical. With a podcast you can achieve most of the basis of that idea. And with Skype and a recorder you can do interviews and bring people on without  ever having  to leave your house. I like it.

Exactly. And I already have the recording equipment to do it. 

On 7/7/2017 at 10:18 AM, Ryan4VT said:

I left off Princeton because of the coaching turnover and the fact that they haven't been as strong recently.

Coaching change will be a good thing for Princeton...

4 hours ago, GMan said:

Coaching change will be a good thing for Princeton...

I'm sure it will, but until I see how they do with the change, I chose to leave them off. It's a preseason poll, anyways. It'll change vastly when the season gets underway. 

20 minutes ago, EH31 said:

Curious - If $100 was on the line how many people would actually take Lee, Chilhowie, JI Burton, or Marion to win vs. Bluefield? 

There's not a lot of separation between teams 7-20, really.  I think the Top 6 are a clear cut above the field.  The middle group will sort itself out soon enough.

Bluefield has the talent to go 10-0. The line has been working very hard in the weight room this year which took me by surprise. Talked to a few of them and they said they were not happy with how they performed last year. No one in this area has as much talent returning as the Beavers.

1 hour ago, local_insight said:

Looks as if Richlands has gotten 2 transfers from Alabama. Not for sure how big or what grade, but I heard one was 6'5 250 or 260 and the other 6'3 240. 

Not sure on the details. 

State Champs 2017

1 hour ago, local_insight said:

Looks as if Richlands has gotten 2 transfers from Alabama. Not for sure how big or what grade, but I heard one was 6'5 250 or 260 and the other 6'3 240. 

Not sure on the details. 

Not sure who your sources are, but mine say that's not the case. And they've never been wrong in the past. 

On 7/8/2017 at 11:35 PM, Tigers_07 said:

Bluefield will win, but out of the four there, i think Burton could give Bluefield a run

Seen both play recently enough in person to confidently say Bluefield by less than 20 would be a disappointment.