Rivalry Game(s)

Tigers_07

3 minutes ago, RCITYHOO said:

So if consolidation happens then Narrows might win???

I think both schools win if it ever happens....no reason to have 2 schools in this county.

Narrows people are worried their kids wouldn't get a fair shake in sports which is total BS....the Cook boys were from narrows and played at Giles and they sure weren't passed over for a Giles person

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

Not everything else.

VT's women's lacrosse hasn't ever beaten UVA, in 18 matches.  VT's men's tennis hasn't beaten UVA since before I went to college.  VT's women's basketball is 2-22 in its last 24 against UVA, including a 76-27 beatdown of a #19 VT in Blacksburg last year.  VT men's basketball is 3-11 against UVA in the Tony Bennett era.  Until Mark Bernadino's exit, neither of VT's swimming/diving programs were in the same universe as UVA's.  Neither VT golf program has been competitive with UVA this decade.  I'm not even counting baseball, where VT has outperformed itself in the rivalry but still falls well short of UVA (3-11 in the O'Connor era).

There's a whole bunch of lopsidedness in this rivalry, but it largely favors UVA.  The only two sports that really favor VT on a consistent basis are football and softball.  That's it.

And wrestling. 

52 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

I think both schools win if it ever happens....no reason to have 2 schools in this county.

Narrows people are worried their kids wouldn't get a fair shake in sports which is total BS....the Cook boys were from narrows and played at Giles and they sure weren't passed over for a Giles person

Besides Blaker has Narrows had a kid that could have played for Giles in the past 5 years? IMO don't think it would make a difference in Giles football program. As for the Gook boy's Steve wasn't a fool, them boys could have played anywhere. But I do agree they would get a fair shot cause Waterhead plays to win. I'm saying if the boy's from Narrows want to play football consolidation wouldn't work out to good for them. But I do agree 2 schools is 1 too many.

18 hours ago, RichlandsAlum said:

And on a personal note, one of my best friends just married a Tazewell grad.  She's a lovely gal, I'm happy for them, and I certainly wish them all the best.  But I've got to be honest in that I'm struggling more than a little bit with accepting this "mixed marriage."  And I still have a general aversion to green as a primary color for any athletic team.

I understand this completely having married a Beaver girl myself.  That's the main reason we take the last week of August as our vacation week at the beach...saves us a lot of money by not having to go through a divorce....

Seriously, the last time we went to a Graham-Bluefield game was in 2001...and I was left sitting by myself after halftime....

3 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

There's a whole bunch of lopsidedness in this rivalry, but it largely favors UVA.  The only two sports that really favor VT on a consistent basis are football and softball.  That's it.

I know this full well.  I'm just trying to somewhat keep the peace because Hokiebird7 and myself get along about as well as CNN and the Trump administration. 

1 hour ago, RCITYHOO said:

Besides Blaker has Narrows had a kid that could have played for Giles in the past 5 years? IMO don't think it would make a difference in Giles football program. As for the Gook boy's Steve wasn't a fool, them boys could have played anywhere. But I do agree they would get a fair shot cause Waterhead plays to win. I'm saying if the boy's from Narrows want to play football consolidation wouldn't work out to good for them. But I do agree 2 schools is 1 too many.

Of course they have had players other than Blaker that could have played for Giles...I'm sure some non skilled players people never hear about could have easily started for Giles 

8 minutes ago, SW_VA_boy said:

I know this full well.  I'm just trying to somewhat keep the peace because Hokiebird7 and myself get along about as well as CNN and the Trump administration. 

I have nothing against you buddy, don't know where you thought I did.

We don't agree on consolidation...big deal...Giles people and narrows people don't...not a big deal....not like it's ever gonna happen anyway

8 hours ago, GMan said:

I understand this completely having married a Beaver girl myself.  That's the main reason we take the last week of August as our vacation week at the beach...saves us a lot of money by not having to go through a divorce....

Seriously, the last time we went to a Graham-Bluefield game was in 2001...and I was left sitting by myself after halftime....

I married a Hokie.  Enough said!

Hey Ryan, 

Just curious, who is the other running back I hear Richlands is going to be running a lot this year other than James White. I saw him out there the other day but didn't know him, he looked pretty quick and bulky. I heard good things but never got a name. 

On 7/13/2017 at 1:18 PM, Bluefield researcher said:

Bluefield - Graham is the best. Played every year since 1938. Come to see it. Party starts at 10 a.m. Tailgating, live music, radio station remote broadcasts. When any other game can claim that then come talk.

Great rivalries that are just a cut below but still great.

Richlands-Tazewell: I know it hasn't meant much lately but this goes back to 1926. Played every year but 1943 when the war caused the board to drop teams at Tazewell and Richlands. For whatever reason Tazewell has always put more emphasis on the Richlands game than Graham.

Bluefield - Princeton - goes back to 1924. How many schools can say that they were actually banned from playing each other in any sport for four full years? Bluefield and Princeton were not allowed to play anything from 1966-1969 due to the intense rivalry with misbehavior on the field/court and in the stands.

Virginia High - Tennessee High - Goes back to about 1915?  This would be right there with Bluefield-Graham if the Bearcats were better and if the festivities were there. There was a time when they shared the same field until Gene Malcolm came along. 

Honaker - Lebanon - I attended one of these once and it surprised me the level of animosity towards each other. Got a lot better when Honaker got better.

Abingdon - Marion - played every year usually at the end of the season and the series is very close.

Some other good ones.

Twin Springs - Rye Cove

Narrows - Giles

Galax - Grayson

George Wythe - Radford

Giles - Blacksburg

And then those that have died.

Appalachia - Powell Valley - every bit as good as Bluefield-Graham. Such a shame it is gone.

Welch - Gary - The battle for the barrel. Always played on Thanksgiving in the early days and Veterans Day in later days. Bands, Cheerleaders ,etc were in the parade and then went to the game.

J. J. Kelly - J. I. Burton.  Again such a shame it is gone

Haysi - Clintwood

With George Wythe coming into the MED, I expect GW-Galax to become one of the regions best rivalries in every sport very quickly. 

On 7/15/2017 at 3:36 PM, Hoosyadaddy said:

I miss the wise co matchups 

appy/PV

JJK/JIB

Coeburn/Wise

nobody had beef with pound. Luckily. They'd got messed up. 

You weren't at the Haysi/JJ Kelly Region D basketball tournament game that year when a bunch of Pound students showed up and sat on the Haysi side and taunted the Kelly players all night leading to Stephen Niece pulling a Ron Artest and running into the stands throwing haymakers at anyone moving then.

On 7/15/2017 at 5:03 PM, Leatherhead Larry said:

Gate City - Union: classic hatred 

Union - Richlands: it never disappoints  

I hate we lost Gate City - Va High, it was never really a rivalry since Va High only beat GC like 9 times in 40 tries. But man there was always bad blood there. 

Can't speak for every BSG/Appy citizen, but I have never heard anyone mentioning a hatred for GC. Rivaly? Yes! Want to beat them? YES! Hatred? Don't see it. Even though it's not really a rivalry, Central would come far closer to hatred than GC. After last year's issues, Letcher Central may be creeping up on that hatred scale as well.

GC and Richlands are definitely Union's biggest rivalry games. Without a doubt, but I think it's more about respect than hate.

I'll buy you a hot dog to prove it. :)

1 hour ago, swva_havok_fan said:

You weren't at the Haysi/JJ Kelly Region D basketball tournament game that year when a bunch of Pound students showed up and sat on the Haysi side and taunted the Kelly players all night leading to Stephen Niece pulling a Ron Artest and running into the stands throwing haymakers at anyone moving then.

I think it's safe to say that Pound still hates Wise. haha

Hey local_insight

There's a new kid transferred in from  Pikeview other than him it's Trey Booker that's competing for RB! I hear if Richlands goes to the Power I formation that they'll probably have the Griffin & Johnson kid at RB's what a backfield that'll be!! Can't wait for the season to start!!

17 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Can't speak for every BSG/Appy citizen, but I have never heard anyone mentioning a hatred for GC. Rivaly? Yes! Want to beat them? YES! Hatred? Don't see it. Even though it's not really a rivalry, Central would come far closer to hatred than GC. After last year's issues, Letcher Central may be creeping up on that hatred scale as well.

GC and Richlands are definitely Union's biggest rivalry games. Without a doubt, but I think it's more about respect than hate.

I'll buy you a hot dog to prove it. :)

There are BSG people who dislike GC. A lot. There's still some bitterness from the PV days. A fair amount of Appalachia people feel the same way about Gate City. But Union as a whole hating GC? There's some there, of course. Right now though, the rivalry is more respectful than it was pre-consolidation. 

Central is more of a hated team among Union faithful in Big Stone and Appalachia. Not saying that the two should hate each other but they do. It's the hate rivalry of Wise County. Lee High is one too. The Letcher Central series is starting to brew some bad blood. 

I have never heard anyone in Big Stone or Appalachia say that they hate Richlands. There is a lot of mutual respect between Union and Richlands. 

2 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

It's the same in Richlands. We (as the knowledgeable fan base) have so much respect for Union and GC. Those series are fun (GC will be back eventually and the series will be fun again). 

Yea I agree,  most of my friends don't have any ill will toward Union or Gate City,  they have a lot respect and look so forward to the games each year !  Matter of fact,  most of us pull for Union and Gate City in the playoffs with the exception of course of when we play them.

Also have respect for Graham,  but there maybe a "little" more animosity  ( maybe a little hate with some ) with the Gmen though.  I know when I played ball for the blues,  many of the guys hated Graham about as much as Tazewell..........maybe hated Tazewell a little more,  but it was close......may have had something to do with the fact that Carlock dominated us for a while back then.

Most use to, and many still hate Tazewell but the series hasn't been as competitive over the last several years, but if / when the dogs come back to where they belong that will probably be about as close to a hated rival again as the blues have.  

1 hour ago, Bigrhsfan said:

Yea I agree,  most of my friends don't have any ill will toward Union or Gate City,  they have a lot respect and look so forward to the games each year !  Matter of fact,  most of us pull for Union and Gate City in the playoffs with the exception of course of when we play them.

Also have respect for Graham,  but there maybe a "little" more animosity  ( maybe a little hate with some ) with the Gmen though.  I know when I played ball for the blues,  many of the guys hated Graham about as much as Tazewell..........maybe hated Tazewell a little more,  but it was close......may have had something to do with the fact that Carlock dominated us for a while back then.

Most use to, and many still hate Tazewell but the series hasn't been as competitive over the last several years, but if / when the dogs come back to where they belong that will probably be about as close to a hated rival again as the blues have.  

Hasn't been forever ago yet...but look when both teams were good at how many fans packed into the stadiums at Tazewell and Richlands.  The year of the regional playoffs was packed at Tazewell and it was cold, wet, and windy on a saturday.

Can't remember the year but when Richlands had given up 0 points and the Dogs put a field goal on them the place erupted.  That passion is still more than there, it's just in hibernation for now!

On the note earlier I feel the same way about sports teams in dark blue as well.  Thankfully both of us are Tazewell grads and even though the kids are home schooled they have the passion for Bulldogs instilled in them.

Gate City-Union or PV/APPY,respect is always there but...GATE CITY has in the past ran the scores up when the game was waaaaay over and the fact that half of the visitor sideline has gate city sitting there dont help,YES I KNOW PHIL has been known to run up the score too, but we dont take up half of the visitors stands with our fans, but Ihave heard that UNION FANS and there band might pay GATE CITY back by taking over the visitor sideline

GC fans take up the visitors side because the home side cannot accommodate all of them. Correct me GC fans if I am wrong. 

I personally don't really care that they do in general. As long as all parties show some class toward each other. 

There are some GC fans who will instigate. There are people who start with the GC fans too. I have seen it myself. I have heard it from people who have witnessed it. It does happen. GC fans are not always the ones instigating. 

2 hours ago, stu_bean said:

Can't remember the year but when Richlands had given up 0 points and the Dogs put a field goal on them the place erupted.  That passion is still more than there, it's just in hibernation for now!

The year that happened was 2005 on 9/30.  Tazewell scored a FG to make final score 27-3

Richlands Football

Date          Opponent       Score     Yards

8/26           Gate City        35-0         78

09/02         Honaker          37-0        37

09/09         Grundy            48-0       57

09/16         Abingdon         36-0       48

09/23         Graham           30-0       40

09/30         Tazewell          27-3      110

10/07         Marion             47-3          5

10/21         Va High           44-0       121

10/28         Carroll Co          7-6       160  (CC scored TD with 1 minute in game)

11/11         Lebanon         54-14      395