Rivalry Game(s)

Tigers_07

4 minutes ago, tbgfan said:

The year that happened was 2005 on 9/30.  Tazewell scored a FG to make final score 27-3

Richlands Football

Date          Opponent       Score     Yards

8/26           Gate City        35-0         78

09/02         Honaker          37-0        37

09/09         Grundy            48-0       57

09/16         Abingdon         36-0       48

09/23         Graham           30-0       40

09/30         Tazewell          27-3      110

10/07         Marion             47-3          5

10/21         Va High           44-0       121

10/28         Carroll Co          7-6       160  (CC scored TD with 1 minute in game)

11/11         Lebanon         54-14      395

Remember it well  We at least bragged about the points scored and holding to the lowest score all season at least until the wtf game at CC

5 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

Gate City-Union or PV/APPY,respect is always there but...GATE CITY has in the past ran the scores up when the game was waaaaay over and the fact that half of the visitor sideline has gate city sitting there dont help,YES I KNOW PHIL has been known to run up the score too, but we dont take up half of the visitors stands with our fans, but Ihave heard that UNION FANS and there band might pay GATE CITY back by taking over the visitor sideline

There is no visitor side at Gate City. There is a visitor section. 

6 hours ago, stu_bean said:

Hasn't been forever ago yet...but look when both teams were good at how many fans packed into the stadiums at Tazewell and Richlands.  The year of the regional playoffs was packed at Tazewell and it was cold, wet, and windy on a saturday.

Can't remember the year but when Richlands had given up 0 points and the Dogs put a field goal on them the place erupted.  That passion is still more than there, it's just in hibernation for now!

On the note earlier I feel the same way about sports teams in dark blue as well.  Thankfully both of us are Tazewell grads and even though the kids are home schooled they have the passion for Bulldogs instilled in them.

I remember that fondly. I can recall wondering why those Tazewell fans were crazy. Lol

12 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

I remember that fondly. I can recall wondering why those Tazewell fans were crazy. Lol

If I remember right we even score those points first and was ahead for a couple of minutes at least lol

There have been so many great players from all over southwest va to play high school ball that were never recruited for college,I guess Thomas Jones opened the eyes of many, they all said he was too small too slow, only played at a small school, then came Heath MILLER,and BRADSHAW, ED CLARK was a man beast among boys.I remember watching him play in a old timers game, and to quote a player from that day "30 years later and he is still the best running back he has ever seen, and he hasnt lost a step"

2 hours ago, stu_bean said:

If I remember right we even score those points first and was ahead for a couple of minutes at least lol

I also remember 2005 or 2006 (not sure which year) when Richlands went the first 4 games of the season without giving up a single point and Tazewell scored a FG near the end of the game in the 5th game of the season and you would have thought Tazewell had won the Super Bowl lol.

13 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

I also remember 2005 or 2006 (not sure which year) when Richlands went the first 4 games of the season without giving up a single point and Tazewell scored a FG near the end of the game in the 5th game of the season and you would have thought Tazewell had won the Super Bowl lol.

Richlands did start that season with 4 shutouts but Tazewell actually went up 3-0 in the first half of that game and was only trailing 7-3 at the half if I remember correctly. I do remember the Tazewell side going crazy and they being up 3-0 

24 minutes ago, EH31 said:

Richlands did start that season with 4 shutouts but Tazewell actually went up 3-0 in the first half of that game and was only trailing 7-3 at the half if I remember correctly. I do remember the Tazewell side going crazy and they being up 3-0 

Tomato....tomato? Lol. I knew the final was something to 3. Just thought the FG at the end. Lol

One of the best games I have seen was in 2007 when Graham went down to Richlands and upset the Blues and ended their, I believe, 33 game regular season winning streak. Before and now after that game it has been all Richlands. It is always nice though win the "underdog" comes out with a W in a rivalry game. Especially when it is a county rivalry.

23 minutes ago, bgibb said:

One of the best games I have seen was in 2007 when Graham went down to Richlands and upset the Blues and ended their, I believe, 33 game regular season winning streak. Before and now after that game it has been all Richlands. It is always nice though win the "underdog" comes out with a W in a rivalry game. Especially when it is a county rivalry.

That was my senior year. Let's not talk about that....

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

That was my senior year. Let's not talk about that....

We could talk about how only having 10 players on the line of scrimmage for an XP let Richlands get another region championship the next year lol 

On 7/20/2017 at 9:11 AM, jarhead24219 said:

There have been so many great players from all over southwest va to play high school ball that were never recruited for college,I guess Thomas Jones opened the eyes of many, they all said he was too small too slow, only played at a small school, then came Heath MILLER,and BRADSHAW, ED CLARK was a man beast among boys.I remember watching him play in a old timers game, and to quote a player from that day "30 years later and he is still the best running back he has ever seen, and he hasnt lost a step"

Don't forget Mike Compton from Richlands.  He was recruited to several D1 schools and went on to play for WVU and was drafted by the Lions, and won 2 Super Bowls with the Patriots, and I think he was before Thomas Jones.

1 hour ago, EH31 said:

We could talk about how only having 10 players on the line of scrimmage for an XP let Richlands get another region championship the next year lol 

That's one of those moments I don't care to remember either...

5 hours ago, EH31 said:

I used to have both FG attempts on my old YouTube before it was deactivated for whatever reason. 

22 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

Only having 10 players on the line of scrimmage?   What is this in reference to?

Tazewell had a XP to tie the game (regional championship 2008) in OT I believe (may have been the end of the 4th) and kicked and made it, but there weren't enough players on the line for the kick, so they had to retry it and the kicker missed the second try and Richlands won the Region. 

6 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Tazewell had a XP to tie the game (regional championship 2008) in OT I believe (may have been the end of the 4th) and kicked and made it, but there weren't enough players on the line for the kick, so they had to retry it and the kicker missed the second try and Richlands won the Region. 

It was overtime. It's heartbreaking to think about, much less watch again so I'm glad YouTube deactivated you lol 

on a side note, with playing graham the week before and with the snow that came the night before that might've been the worst field conditions I ever played on...and I played 3 years at Pocahontas lol I remember the first time I hit the ground that day I broke an ice puddle with my elbow and it only got worse after that 

7 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

10 would definitely qualify as having enough on the LOS though.  Heck, the only way you could kick a PAT with 10 on the line would be via drop kick.

8 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

10 would definitely qualify as having enough on the LOS though.  Heck, the only way you could kick a PAT with 10 on the line would be via drop kick.

Haha! I realized I typed that wrong after I wrote it but I never went back to edit it. Not enough on the LOS was what it should've read. 

On 7/19/2017 at 7:04 PM, jarhead24219 said:

Well said, I hope you like standing at Bullet

Idk what is more sad. The fact that Union fans think they can fill up the home and away side. Or the fact you're a Union "fan" and don't know how to spell "Bullitt Park" correctly. 

But anyways,

1) I'll have a seat because I'm always there when the gates open. 

2) I don't really need a seat because I stand the whole game. 

3) If there are that many Union fans waiting to get into the gate way before I do, I say y'all need to go find a job instead of just hanging out at BULLITT not Bullet all day. 

Just now, Leatherhead Larry said:

Idk what is more sad. The fact that Union fans think they can fill up the home and away side. Or the fact you're a Union "fan" and don't know how to spell "Bullitt Park" correctly. 

But anyways,

1) I'll have a seat because I'm always there when the gates open. 

2) I don't really need a seat because I stand the whole game. 

3) If there are that many Union fans waiting to get into the gate way before I do, I say y'all need to go find a job instead of just hanging out at BULLITT not Bullet all day. 

And like I said in my original post, pure hatred. I always hated Powell Valley and I'll always hate Union. Rivals hate each other, I'll continue to do so. 

On 7/21/2017 at 10:49 PM, EH31 said:

It was overtime. It's heartbreaking to think about, much less watch again so I'm glad YouTube deactivated you lol 

on a side note, with playing graham the week before and with the snow that came the night before that might've been the worst field conditions I ever played on...and I played 3 years at Pocahontas lol I remember the first time I hit the ground that day I broke an ice puddle with my elbow and it only got worse after that 

Heartbreaking moment for everybody.  Heck of a game and shame it had to end that way, which I might add was questionable from many perspectives...but more of a shame because that missed XP was the last thing from TJ Rasnick and we all know the story there.