Teams who should play

trumpet1988

We have people discussing rivalry games they look forward to watching this season. We have threads about worst places to watch a game and the best. What about teams between whom we wouldn't mind seeing matchups?

Union vs. Graham

Union vs. Bluefield

Union vs. Giles.

Gate City vs. Giles

Gate City vs. Graham (I know the two teams used to play but I would like to see the rivalry renew).

Wouldn't mind a yearly series between Richlands and Giles, myself.

2 hours ago, trumpet1988 said:

We have people discussing rivalry games they look forward to watching this season. We have threads about worst places to watch a game and the best. What about teams between whom we wouldn't mind seeing matchups?

Union vs. Graham

Union vs. Bluefield

Union vs. Giles.

Gate City vs. Giles

Gate City vs. Graham (I know the two teams used to play but I would like to see the rivalry renew).

Wouldn't mind a yearly series between Richlands and Giles, myself.

Graham will be coming to Gate City for a benefit game this year. 

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

Maybe poor Gate City

Everyone is over hyping Graham. They got a good WR and RB, a decent QB. They will be weaker on D this year. Lost a good athlete to Bluefield. They will be good, but will not make it out of region D. Whoever is clicking better between Union and Richlands will represent our Region. Richlands will be better on D this year, but the offense is still a mystery. Probably more of a running game this year. Union has the best player in the state, a solid QB and always a running game. With a good Defense. Gate City will surprise many people also.

Hope I'm right anyways. 

Union/Abingdon - this is the first year of this matchup. And it's probably only because Abingdon is now in the district. 

Gate City/Marion - glad this one is back it. I guess it has always made too much sense to play Marion. 2017 will be the first time these 2 have met since 2000! 

Gate City/Graham - it may happen if Akers sticks around at GC with his connections at Graham. I wouldn't mind it. 

I used to love it when the Gate played Marion early on and on the road when it matched up with a VT home game. A vacation day would be taken that Friday and arriving at Hungry Mother the Thursday night before. Gameday was on Friday with a nice campfire on Friday night after the game and off to Blacksburg on Saturday morning with breakfast at the ole Iron Skillet in Wytheville/Fort Chiswell on the way up (Don't think that is there anymore). Times were fun, except the couple of years in the late 80s when Marion had a kid named Puckett that was a human tank wearing football cleats.  Talking about smashmouth football. Geeesh!

It's hard to imagine how time flies and how its been since 2000, and it seems like yesterday when we were having the Scarlet Hurricane on the agenda. 

P.S. one poster wrote how Giles and Union should play. I would love the matchup, but man thats a good 3 hour haul. That's like Graham playing Wilson Memorial or Giles playing Nottoway. 3 hours is a long way.

3 hours ago, TTownTigers said:

I used to love it when the Gate played Marion early on and on the road when it matched up with a VT home game. A vacation day would be taken that Friday and arriving at Hungry Mother the Thursday night before. Gameday was on Friday with a nice campfire on Friday night after the game and off to Blacksburg on Saturday morning with breakfast at the ole Iron Skillet in Wytheville/Fort Chiswell on the way up (Don't think that is there anymore). Times were fun, except the couple of years in the late 80s when Marion had a kid named Puckett that was a human tank wearing football cleats.  Talking about smashmouth football. Geeesh!

It's hard to imagine how time flies and how its been since 2000, and it seems like yesterday when we were having the Scarlet Hurricane on the agenda. 

P.S. one poster wrote how Giles and Union should play. I would love the matchup, but man thats a good 3 hour haul. That's like Graham playing Wilson Memorial or Giles playing Nottoway. 3 hours is a long way.

Ever watched Two A Days? Popular reality TV show about 11-12 years ago that focused on Hoover HS in Hoover, Alabama outside of Birmingham. They were a monster team, Hoover. In 2005 they played against Allen D. Nease HS from Ponte Vedra Beach, FL, which is outside of Jacksonville I do believe. Their quarterback that season was Tim Tebow, who was in his senior year at Nease. Nease came to Hoover. Nease had a 7.5 hour drive to Hoover. Hoover won 50-29. 

The game was played on a Saturday. 

It is feasible and it would take some planning. 

13 hours ago, trumpet1988 said:

Ever watched Two A Days? Popular reality TV show about 11-12 years ago that focused on Hoover HS in Hoover, Alabama outside of Birmingham. They were a monster team, Hoover. In 2005 they played against Allen D. Nease HS from Ponte Vedra Beach, FL, which is outside of Jacksonville I do believe. Their quarterback that season was Tim Tebow, who was in his senior year at Nease. Nease came to Hoover. Nease had a 7.5 hour drive to Hoover. Hoover won 50-29. 

The game was played on a Saturday. 

It is feasible and it would take some planning. 

When my dad was still alive I'd go visit him a few times each fall in Bessemer,AL and we'd drive over to watch Hoover. They were always unbelievable to watch but that 2005 team was the best I've ever seen 

11 hours ago, Widespread_Panic said:

UVA Wise/Emory & Henry - should happen every year. How these schools let this series get cancelled is a mind blower from a financial stand point. 

JIB/Wise Central - Great historical rivalry. Norton and Wise will always be a heated contest. 

I wouldn't mind seeing ETSU vs UVA Wise. 

A few that I think would be or would have been interesting from a Richlands fan point of view - 

Past - 

Richlands/Mount View

Richlands/Haysi

Present -

Richlands/Ridgeview

Richlands/JI Burton

Richlands/Galax

Richlands/George Wythe

Richlands/Belfry

Richlands/Tennessee High

Richlands/Princeton

Richlands/Woodrow Wilson

59 minutes ago, mv91 said:

Richlands/Giles

Richlands/Salem

Richlands/Ridgeview

Salem folks still haven't let the past rest. I work in Salem and wear my Richlands stuff from time to time to work and I got cussed out by a guy walking out of the ballpark one day. Asked me to check my flip flops to see if they were regulation. If I wasn't still around my bosses and such, I'd have told him where he can stick those cleats. 

1 hour ago, mv91 said:

Wow, that's just crazy to cuss someone out from something that happened almost 25 years ago!!

Yea, I figured there would be issue with Salem.  Just figured it would be some good games!!

At least it looks like you guys are admitting it happened now lol 

1 hour ago, EH31 said:

I don't think I've ever said it didn't happen lol. I was 2 when it happened (I was at the game), so it's not like I had any firsthand knowledge lol. I've always assumed it did happen. 

1 hour ago, EH31 said:

I guess I should have said "supposedly happened". lol

I was at the game and the cleats didn't look too long to me!!  Wait, on second thought, I couldn't see the cleats from the mud!!!! lol

5 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Salem folks still haven't let the past rest. I work in Salem and wear my Richlands stuff from time to time to work and I got cussed out by a guy walking out of the ballpark one day. Asked me to check my flip flops to see if they were regulation. If I wasn't still around my bosses and such, I'd have told him where he can stick those cleats. 

Knowing what really went on makes this even funnier

If Cleatgate had happened to some school who was a perennial loser and caught fire in one magical season, I could see the fans still being angry.  But for God's sake, Salem is only the most successful program in this half of Virginia in my lifetime.

It'd be like a Chicago Bulls fan forgetting those 6 titles and getting pissy about losing to the Magic in 1995.

1 minute ago, UVAObserver said:

If Cleatgate had happened to some school who was a perennial loser and caught fire in one magical season, I could see the fans still being angry.  But for God's sake, Salem is only the most successful program in this half of Virginia in my lifetime.

It'd be like a Chicago Bulls fan forgetting those 6 titles and getting pissy about losing to the Magic in 1995.

But the Magic didn't resort to cheating to win either.