Pike County Central's Classification

Golden_Tsunami

Hurley plays Pike County Central on 9/8/2017. According to the Kentucky High School Athletic Association's official website, Pike County Central is classified as a 3A school, but on the VHSL, Pike County Central is listed as a 2A school on the master schedule. That could be a factor in points at the end of the season which might decide a home field game versus an away game when the playoffs come if Hurley is in the post season. Why doesn't the VHSL have them listed as a 3A school? 

37 minutes ago, Rebel_Yell said:

I checked their enrollment, and it has them currently listed as 706 students. You're right. They would be at the high end of the scale of 2A schools in Virginia.

Is the enrollment of 706 from grades 9 through 12 or 10 through 12?  In the state of Va when enrollments are given, how are they done? For example, Tazewell High. I don't know Tazewell's enrollment, but let's say they are 600. I guess they are close to that. Is that 600 calculated as grades 9 through 12 or grades 10 through 12? I ask this because there are variances with some schools having High School as grades 10 through 12 or even grades 7 through 12. 

Virginia does their enrollment for classification based on 9th-12th population. However, junior varsity is 8th-10th and varsity is 10th-12th. There is a limit on the amount of time that a junior varsity participant can play in a varsity game in Virginia. That must not be a stipulation in the state of Kentucky because several of the junior varsity basketball team members for Phelps High School played the majority of the varsity basketball game against Hurley this year.

1 hour ago, Rebel_Yell said:

I checked their enrollment, and it has them currently listed as 706 students. You're right. They would be at the high end of the scale of 2A schools in Virginia.

Is the enrollment of 706 from grades 9 through 12 or 10 through 12?  In the state of Va when enrollments are given, how are they done? For example, Tazewell High. I don't know Tazewell's enrollment, but let's say they are 600. I guess they are close to that. Is that 600 calculated as grades 9 through 12 or grades 10 through 12? I ask this because there are variances with some schools having High School as grades 10 through 12 or even grades 7 through 12. 

In KY JV basically doesn't count, basketball players routinely play a full JV game, then rotate in during the Varsity game. 

Enrollments are 9-12.

VAs classification system is so drastically different than KYs or WVs due to VA having a lot more schools and having a vast difference in enrollments with schools participating that vary from under 200 students to schools with close to 3,000