3. Graham

4. Bluefield

5. Abingdon

6. George Wythe

7. Giles

8. Galax

9. Chilhowie

10. Va. High

I know I may seem biased by being the only person to add the Bearcats, but let me explain why. As a former Bearcat myself, I understand the importance that Bristol has always placed on baseball. Football is mainly an afterthought in our town, and most schools in our region rarely fear our football teams like they do our baseball teams. There are a couple reasons that our community actually has high expectations for the team this year. This year's Junior class is one of the best groups of athletes that VHS has had in a single class, in a very long time. There are a number of kids in that class that have started multiple sports since their Freshman year, which is a rarity there. Dating back 3 years, as 8th graders, this team destroyed everyone in their path, including Gate City, and a 30 point win over an undefeated Richlands team at the end of the year. That NEVER happens in the same year in football at VHS. This same group that has seen significant playing time over the last 2 seasons, have become very battle tested, having to take their lumps against the strong Richlands, Gate City, Abingdon, and other teams. They have also had to start their playoffs against the defending State Champs in both years, at Glenvar, and at Appomattox. They have seen what it takes to be successful. Now, I don't have Grand Illusions of a State title, or anything of that nature, but getting to the playoffs and winning a game or two is considered a highly successful football season at VHS and I believe it is not out of the realm of possibility. We will surely find out this season, as our schedule has become significantly tougher by adding @ Union for the benefit game, adding @ Graham, and having to travel to Abingdon the very next week. We also added @ Wise Central, who should be improved from last year, as well as an improved Battle team. @ Marion, will definitely be no cakewalk either, and Chilhowie is in the same boat as us, with a talented group of Juniors, that I predict will be a force at the 1A level, should also be a tough game. Our yearly matchup with powerhouse Richlands has been moved from early season to Week 11. Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to explain that I'm not a complete Homer, but more of a realist.

I'm surprised that Wise Central isn't on a few more lists. Injuries destroyed the Warriors last year (team would have probably won 8 games healthy). Healthy and 13 seniors on this squad along with promising newcomers like CJ Crabtree and the 2017 Warrior squad has the makings of a pretty solid squad if they have better luck this year avoiding injuries,and I'm not saying this as a Warrior fan but a general observation (folks who know me know I shoot straight and If I thought they'd be down i'd call it that way). This distric the Warriors are in will be a rugged one this year. I am sure Abingdon will get the nod by most to win it,but teams like Central and Union will have a say

47 minutes ago, Unchained said:

I'm surprised that Wise Central isn't on a few more lists. Injuries destroyed the Warriors last year (team would have probably won 8 games healthy). Healthy and 13 seniors on this squad along with promising newcomers like CJ Crabtree and the 2017 Warrior squad has the makings of a pretty solid squad if they have better luck this year avoiding injuries,and I'm not saying this as a Warrior fan but a general observation (folks who know me know I shoot straight and If I thought they'd be down i'd call it that way). This distric the Warriors are in will be a rugged one this year. I am sure Abingdon will get the nod by most to win it,but teams like Central and Union will have a say

I think most are saying Union will win the district. 

8 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

That's a team that's going to surprise some folks.  My dark horse pick to reach the state semis in A.

Are Northwood and PH not very good or something?

13 hours ago, Hoosyadaddy said:

I think that's the first HOGO team I've seen. What up wit dat

I put them on my list last week, for the same reasons as UVA. We were upset by Chilhowie at their place last year. My son knows a lot of those boys in their Junior class. They have some legit speed. Especially in the Sanchez kid.

Yeah the Sanchez kid is good legit talent. I'm curious to see how losing Delp will affect them. And PH is going to be good again but they lost a few good kids. And you don't replace Dakota. But I will say the kid they had to back him up last year was either a Fr. or a So. and he had the potential to be special. 

1 hour ago, 02GW12 said:

Yeah the Sanchez kid is good legit talent. I'm curious to see how losing Delp will affect them. And PH is going to be good again but they lost a few good kids. And you don't replace Dakota. But I will say the kid they had to back him up last year was either a Fr. or a So. and he had the potential to be special. 

Yeah, that's my biggest question for them is how are they going to replace Delp. He was productive....yeah, Dakota was usually a man amongst boys when he was on the field. Too bad we didn't get to see him fully healthy for the whole season

11 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Not as good as Chilhowie.

12 hours ago, Hoosyadaddy said:

Are Northwood and PH not very good or something?

I still have a hard time putting anyone from 1A Region D in a top 10 for the area. Quite possibly the softest Region in the state.

• GMan locked and unpinned this topic