Scrimmages

Hokiebird7

11 minutes ago, gchs791 said:

I will save my judgement till after they play Graham.Gate City 34 Volunteer 7.Fair passing team , some power runners , not much size or speed. Seen to get better the longer they played or Volunteer was getting  wore down I heard they were very young.Right now i would say 4-6 to 6-4.

I'm with you there. Graham will show us where these young men are. 

From Lebanon tonight:

Ridgeview 6, Lebanon 6

Ridgeview 34, Rural Retreat 0

Didn't stay for the Lebanon vs. Rural Retreat finale.  Wolfpack offense looked very good.  Mixed it up quite a bit with the pass and run.  Look foward to seeing how they do against Burton and whoever else they play next Friday in Norton.

5 hours ago, Hogo_Observer said:

Any info on the Chilhowie @ Honaker scrimmage?

While the first team was in it looked like Chilhowie 5 Honaker 2. Both looked good up front Chilhowie has a little more skill to spread the ball around to. Still need to keep eyes on 4. QB for Honaker put on a show though.

11 hours ago, Hogo_Observer said:

Any info on the Chilhowie @ Honaker scrimmage?

I had Chilhowie at 6-3 with Chilhowie jv 1-0 on tiger jv,Chilhowie was faster team broke 3or 4 long td runs.Honaker looked to me little better at this point this year compared to last year at this time.Had 3 starting lineman and a rb out.Hylton  had good showing.

My thoughts from the GC/Volunteer scrimmage. 

1) Score correction from what has been posted on here: GC 34 Volunteer 14. Starters vs Starters GC 21-7. Reserves vs Reserves GC 13-7

2) Sallee is GC's QB, it's not even a competition in my book. That's been proved the past 2 weeks. We look flow extremely better with Sallee under center. I think the game is too quick for Vermillion at QB. I love the kid but he's more benifical elsewhere. 

3) It's hard to make a fair judgement on a team when you stop them on 3rd down over and over, but they get to keep going because the coaches agreed on 10 plays each drive unless you get a first down. In a real game, teams will be punting the rock. It's also hard to tell anything due the fact GC rotated players in and out the entire time. But I'm glad we did. Akers is doing his best to develop depth.  

4) GC can throw it. I hope Akers just isn't showing his hand, but I hope we have some shotgun formations. You need more than the wishbone to be succesful when other teams will load 9 in the box. I would go ahead and start Calhoun, Cregor and the Fletcher kid (#44 Sophomore) in the backfield.  

5) I saw great things, and I seen things we need to work on. The good thing about what we need to work on are easy fixes. Some film work and individual coaching will solve a lot of things the next 2 weeks. Overall I'm glad we outscored Volunteer. If we didn't I would feel a whole lot worse about it. We'll know more next Friday with Graham in a more realistic game situation. 

1st string - 10 plays and switch 

Narrows 2 PikeView 1 -  Would have been 3-1 if not for a holding call on a pass play that negated the score.  Narrows ran out of plays inside the PikeView 10 another possession.  PikeView's one score was one of the 3 or 4 plays all day that went for more than 10 yards.  Narrows' scores were on a pick 6 and a nice pass play on a deep ball to the corner of the end zone.

2nd string - 10 plays and switch

Narrows 3 PikeView 0 -  Two passing scores and one rushing.  

Game situation - 2 possessions each

0-0  Both teams looked tired by this point.  Narrows more so.  Several players cramping up.

In all, like how to line play looked.  No one on either side injured other than cramping.  Way too many fumbles for my liking and that needs addressed very quickly.  Top 2 things to work on after today seem to be conditioning and ball security.

I don't see gate city quarterback competition as cut and dry as you do Larry.  Depends on what gate city's bread in butter is going to be.  Sallee wins the passing game hands down while vermillion wins the running game hands down. My two cents worth.  Akers has already made his mind up though because of the article/interview in the paper plus I'm sure he wants to keep his job.   I agree with you Larry about vermillion can be used elsewhere but he is not.  Offensively for him it's QB or nothing. On the other hand QB is the only place for Sallee. 

1 hour ago, mw0729 said:

I don't see gate city quarterback competition as cut and dry as you do Larry.  Depends on what gate city's bread in butter is going to be.  Sallee wins the passing game hands down while vermillion wins the running game hands down. My two cents worth.  Akers has already made his mind up though because of the article/interview in the paper plus I'm sure he wants to keep his job.   I agree with you Larry about vermillion can be used elsewhere but he is not.  Offensively for him it's QB or nothing. On the other hand QB is the only place for Sallee. 

I see them rotating some. 

Regarding the GC/Volunteer scrimmage, I saw some good things.  I would be very encouraged with a 6-4 season.  But with our schedule, it will probably be 4-6 or 5-5.  Akers did rotate an awful lot of players in.  1st team and 2nd team were playing side by side the whole night.  I think that is a good strategy for a scrimmage and gives everybody experience.  I think Sallee finds open receivers better, and might have a better arm.  I think Vermillion is harder nosed and is probably the better runner.  Both players have strengths and weaknesses, just like everyone else.  I think Noe would be the better option at RB, if he can turn it up inside and stay healthy.  Calhoun is a stud and can put the hit on you.  #56 can lay the hit also.  I hope Vermillion and Noe are ok.  I think they got hurt a little bit.  But seemed to be ok on the sidelines.  I hope the RB for Volunteer, #5, is not hurt bad.  He looked to me to be their best player by far, and scored their only varsity TD on a brilliant run.  He hurt his knee or his leg on the next series on a bonecrushing high and low hit, and limped off and never returned.  I like Barry Jones.  He looked to have a good scheme.  I just don't think Volunteer has the athletes.

1 hour ago, GMan said:

What time is Giles/Bluefield on Friday? I got a day off before heading on vacation and may attend...

You mean you don't wanna come see Grundy @ Richlands on your off day?!! Lmao