Union?

Jason

What do they return besides Mitchell? I was under the impression they returned the most of all the teams in SWVA but after glancing at the poll posts I am thinking I need to change my predictions. 

Most of skill guys are back , o line may have 1 or two starters back, on "d" STIDHAM is back as well as MITCHELL, ZIRKLE  and several more.ALL will depend on line play, several of new guys had plenty of snaps due to blowouts and injuries last year. Everyone is talking about MITCHELL,but you better watch 17, DAKOTA OWENS and the JENKINS kid. BAILEY TURNER will return at QB but the line will be the key

May be easier to say what they lost.

#5 - DT
#9 - RB/SS
#21 - WR/DB
#24 - LB
#60 - C
#62 - G
#64 -T

Did lose a couple of reserve DTs that saw a lot of time.

Going to have a good RB group. Receivers should be good. Obviously, have some holes to fill on the line, but I'm hearing we have some nice plugs. :)

On the positive side, the 2017 Union Bears will be an experienced and veteran team with 20+ seniors. The O-line will have some new members but I believe it will be big and deep. I think the overall speed of the skill players will be outstanding. I think the potential is there for a fantastic season.

On the negative side, the schedule is very challenging and I suspect the team's regular season record will suffer as compared to the last couple years. Although I am excited about the visits of Morristown West, Richlands, and Gate City to Bullitt Park this year, that is quite a gauntlet! Those programs will bring some fired up teams and great fan support. When you consider that Union also plays the larger classification schools of Letcher County Central and Abingdon, as well as traditional rivals Lee High and Wise Central, you've got to acknowledge a tough schedule.

Although I am a little uncertain as to number of wins to be expected, I'm certain that Union High's game will be very entertaining. 

NOBODY GETS BETTER BY PLAYING CREAM PUFF TEAMS, I look for the passing game to be opened up big time, and for the "d" to run different stunts to make the most out of the skill guys speed...can we say BLITZ every down, with man to man on the outside

Look for the transfer from lee to be starting on defense at DE or LB, Nick Polier, he's just a sophmore, been watching him in practice and the kid loves to hit and goes 110% at all times. 

1 hour ago, FBDevotee said:

To Jarhead - do you know/suspect who the starting defensive backs are likely to be for the Bears? Or the safety? (As a Bear's fan, I realize that there are a number of exciting possibilities.) 

the possibilities are endless IMO, do you move James back to safety so he can scan the whole field? or leave him up front on the end, do you put Polier at LB or leave him on the line beside big Jeb and Barnett, or do you put some quicker speed like Dakota Owens at safety but is not as tall? Travis has alot of different options this year. Again, that's just my opinion

James will stay put on d, look for the younger Jenkins kid to be on a island, Jeb Stidham and Barnett will be down inside, Owens will be d backfield with Zirkle at LB , the Gibson kid decided not to play and that would have been another db and back up Qb, this is all a guess of course, based on last year. We should be quick, not Appomattox quick but still better than last year

Pretty good start for the Bears. Started a little slow on offense. O line is going to take a little work. Once things settled in they moved the ball really well. Wide receivers are going to be hard to handle. Defense looks very solid up front, Secondary should come along okay. Score with starters on the field was 24- 10. Elizabethton was a solid opponent. Very strong up front defensively.

I agree with all of that ^ and add that is the most solid I have seen our run defense, unless Betsy was incredibly bad.  If memory serves, Betsy only had one run longer than 5 yards with the majority around 2 yards or less. Their passing attack was a good test as well. QB was the size of a D1 college team (6'5" 215) and had good timing. Their receivers ran pretty good timing routes. He didn't do very well scanning the field though.

Considering that was our first scrimmage and their 3rd, I was very impressed.

Edit.....according to their hudl page that was Betsy's 4th scrimmage.

Betsy will blow through 4A in Region 1 with the exception of Greenville, they will not be challenged at all. Region 1 4A consists of Elizabethton, Greenville, Grainger Co., Sullivan East, Sullivan South, Sullivan Central and Union Co.  They should have little competition from Region 2 4A  (Anderson Co. Chatt. Central, East Hamilton, East Ridge, Hixson, Sequoyah, Chatt. Howard) 4A is going to very good to Betsy, all of the Knoxville area schools chose to play in 5A and Besty is playing up to avoid Alcoa in 3A. Coach Witten also has a reputation of not playing his starters or showing anything to the public at scrimmages. I am glad that Union showed them they can play football in SW Va. too because a lot of fans and media don't think anyone over the border can play. Betsy may make it to the title game of 4A this season and if they do it will make Union look real good.

Did Union run mostly from the spread yesterday.  I thought we may throw more this year with Turner having more experience and a good group of receivers and also did Stidham play any on the O-Line or are they just using him on defense this year.

Mostly from the spread and they spread it around. This year's group of WR are as talented as any they have had, possibly more. Turner is noticeably more comfortable in the passing game compared to the start of last season. He looks better that he did even late in the season last year when he played very well. Stidham started on the O line but only played one series, I think he's to valuable on D to use on the O line. The O line is really the only question mark at this point IMO. From center to right guard they are ok, not spectacular. The left side seems to still be a work in progress.

Your right about Stidham playing offense but I would use him inside the 10 or on a 4th and 1.  How'd the kid from Lee look and I seen on twitter were the Gibson kid was playing some at QB and thought i read were someone said he wasn't playing this season so was it him or just wrong name on twitter.

18 minutes ago, EH31 said:

Hey, has Mac McClung enrolled at Oak Hill Academy yet? 

Why would he?  Hasn't he already committed to Rutgers?  That's a waste of time of you ask me. College basketball coaches never watch high school games anymore anyway.  They already know who they want when they go.watch the big summer AAU tourneys. 

7 minutes ago, HowTheWestWasWon2017 said:

Why would he?  Hasn't he already committed to Rutgers?  That's a waste of time of you ask me. College basketball coaches never watch high school games anymore anyway.  They already know who they want when they go.watch the big summer AAU tourneys. 

He's referencing that Insight once said he had knowledge of the situation that McClung would leave GC to go to Oak Hill. I believe that's how it went, anyways.