Graham @ Gate City

EH31

I'm here.  Graham has scored their TD's on speed and athleticism alone.  GC has moved the ball all night, but hadn't punched it in.  #10 for Gmen reminds me of a young Vince Young.  Graham is very sloppy and undisciplined.  In my opinion, GC has won the line of scrimmage.  They just don't have any speed.  If Graham cleans some things up, they could be very good.

50 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

Starters for both out to start the 4th. Starters vs starters was 14-0 Graham. #3 for Graham had his shoulder dislocated. Not sure if they ever got it back in. He was screaming pretty bad with them working on him. They took him to GC's fieldhouse to work some more. 

33 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

#3 in a sling now. 

That's Jazier Reed, was hoping for big things from him this season.

Not sure what to make of what I saw tonight.

Through three quarters the GC QBs were a combined 1-7 with four interceptions. Add in a fumble and GC had 5 turnovers through 3 quarters. 

Saw that someone posted about GC being big, but I did not see it. Now we do have a couple of big RBs, but not much other size to speak of. Graham appeared to have a much larger line on both sides of the ball. Actually.........if you lined up the starters for both teams, Graham had a huge size advantage. 

Graham has got to work on the shotgun snap. They had problems with it all night. 

I believe that GC will be able to run the ball on teams not named Richlands or Union. 

We have got to work on a short passing game. Believe we will see a lot of teams covering our receivers one on one and loading up the box to stop the run. 

The next couple of weeks will tell both teams where they are at. 

23 minutes ago, GMan said:

That's Jazier Reed, was hoping for big things from him this season.

Injuries like Reed's and Justus's are why I think these benefit games aren't a good idea for the sake of the kids.  I know that money is generated and split between the two schools, but it seems like every year there's some backbreaking injury for some teams in these glorified scrimmages.

I agree that Graham was bigger on both sides of the ball, but I actually thought our line play was equal or better to Graham's.  IMO, GC should go into "3 yards and a cloud of dust" mode, and try to dominate time of possession with 12-15 play drives.  Maybe some quickie passes up the middle, or quick flares to the side mixed in.  I agree Great City that GC will have some success running the ball this year.

My take was. As someone posted in this thread, I echoed the same thing after seeing the first scrimmage and that is...we have to run and go back old school like a 3/yds in a cloud of dust team,, and supplement that with short-quick efficient passes. I believe our lineplay was better than Grahams. I think the sizes were similar. They weren't bigger than us and we weren't bigger than them, but our OL is very good and better than it has been. We were at least on the field with Graham and  moved the ball on the ground. I think we are no worse than 7-3. As for Graham, very talented, and explosive plays are part of the game. The 70s and 80s have came and gone, and a team that doesn't move it consistently, but the explodes for a 40 yd run with speed is part of the game. That score counts just like driving the field and running the ball for 5-6 yds a play for 15 plays, and then scoring. We did pretty good with Grahams speed. No question, Graham did some major self inflicted damage. One thing I noticed is something different than all the years under Carlock and that was the lack of discipline. I think Graham has major mental toughness issues with late hits, trash talking and such that alwayst equates to lack of mental toughness in tight situations. This is also reflective of the Coaching Staff. I know nothing of Grahams coach other than folks telling me enthusiasm is up. If Graham would stop the trash talking and jawwing during plays, the miscues and fumbled snaps and formation woes will fix itself. Morality or Character and mental toughness go hand in hand.  You can't have jawwing at the opponent and stupid personal fouls and be without offensive miscues. Their coaching staff needs to fix that quick, and if they are allowing it, then again, the consequences are always self destructive and it will lead to offensive miscues, concentration issues and will cost them in the playoffs. The Graham team I watched was nowhere in the same league regarding mental toughness under those old Glynn Carlock teams. That's my take on Graham. The potential is there for greatness, but with their current state of mental toughness( if this is how they usually play) then they will not get past round 3 in the playoffs.  Finally, the Graham QB is athletic, but he is not very accurate.

For GC, we also had miscues, but some of that as helped/forced by Graham. We are a 7-3 team at worst in my opinion. We have to run it and control clock and keep offenses off the field. That was a little effective toniht against a very explosive team.  I love our lineplay and technique on both sides of the line. I think we will be fine. Our only sure loss is Richlands. Wait and see, we will play right with Union.

2 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

My take was. As someone posted in this thread, I echoed the same thing after seeing the first scrimmage and that is...we have to run and go back old school like a 3/yds in a cloud of dust team,, and supplement that with short-quick efficient passes. I believe our lineplay was better than Grahams. I think the sizes were similar. They weren't bigger than us and we weren't bigger than them, but our OL is very good and better than it has been. We were at least on the field with Graham and  moved the ball on the ground. I think we are no worse than 7-3. As for Graham, very talented, and explosive plays are part of the game. The 70s and 80s have came and gone, and a team that doesn't move it consistently, but the explodes for a 40 yd run with speed is part of the game. That score counts just like driving the field and running the ball for 5-6 yds a play for 15 plays, and then scoring. We did pretty good with Grahams speed. No question, Graham did some major self inflicted damage. One thing I noticed is something different than all the years under Carlock and that was the lack of discipline. I think Graham has major mental toughness issues with late hits, trash talking and such that alwayst equates to lack of mental toughness in tight situations. This is also reflective of the Coaching Staff. I know nothing of Grahams coach other than folks telling me enthusiasm is up. If Graham would stop the trash talking and jawwing during plays, the miscues and fumbled snaps and formation woes will fix itself. Morality or Character and mental toughness go hand in hand.  You can't have jawwing at the opponent and stupid personal fouls and be without offensive miscues. Their coaching staff needs to fix that quick, and if they are allowing it, then again, the consequences are always self destructive and it will lead to offensive miscues, concentration issues and will cost them in the playoffs. The Graham team I watched was nowhere in the same league regarding mental toughness under those old Glynn Carlock teams. That's my take on Graham. The potential is there for greatness, but with their current state of mental toughness( if this is how they usually play) then they will not get past round 3 in the playoffs.  Finally, the Graham QB is athletic, but he is not very accurate.

For GC, we also had miscues, but some of that as helped/forced by Graham. We are a 7-3 team at worst in my opinion. We have to run it and control clock and keep offenses off the field. That was a little effective toniht against a very explosive team.  I love our lineplay and technique on both sides of the line. I think we will be fine. Our only sure loss is Richlands. Wait and see, we will play right with Union.

Serious question, doesn't GC always play right with union?! It seems like every year we get their best shot and then some.

11 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Injuries like Reed's and Justus's are why I think these benefit games aren't a good idea for the sake of the kids.  I know that money is generated and split between the two schools, but it seems like every year there's some backbreaking injury for some teams in these glorified scrimmages.

It seems like to me most coaches are treating them like scrimmages though. It seems very rare to see starters go any longer in these events than they do in scrimmages.  Maybe an extra series or two, but about the same number of plays as when teams do 10 play series in scrimmages.

11 hours ago, mw0729 said:

" We are a 7-3 team at worst in my opinion."............OMG!  You are smoking crack for sure.  LMAO

Losses are Richlands and Union. Likely loss is Daniel Boone.

Close wins over Abingdon, Ridgeview, S.South,. 2 of these 3 are at home..

Easy wins Marion, Battle, Lee, Central. I think we are 7-3 and stand by it.  

On 8/18/2017 at 11:44 PM, Unionguy_2017 said:

Serious question, doesn't GC always play right with union?! It seems like every year we get their best shot and then some.

Gate City has played tough with Richlands as well.  It looks like some here are predicting a drop off in talent at GC.  We shall see.

There's really no point in debating it.  We will find out in 11 weeks how many games GC won. I do know one thing, though.  They moved the ball against Graham at will.  Either Graham's run defense is not good, which I don't believe, or GC is pretty good at running the ball.  If GC can get some steady QB play, I see them winning 6 games.