Gate City @ Richlands

Leatherhead Larry

Where's all the talk at? 

I've watched Richlands vs Grundy on film. Looks like Grundy was able to move the ball on Richlands very early. Luckily GC can run the football for good chunks of 5-6 yards a carry. If GC can fix the turnovers this one might be a tight one. Richlands didn't really give me the "wow" factor I expected after all the off season talk. GC just needs to ground and pound and hang on to the ball while eating clock and eventually putting points on the board. The defense has to limit the big plays and a forced turnover or two will help our cause. I think this one ends up tighter than people think. 

18 minutes ago, trumpet1988 said:

Richlands 41, Gate City 7

Gate City may give Richlands some early trouble but Richlands will wake up in the second quarter and Gate City will tire.

You just described to a T last year's game.  You are probably correct, but that's why they play the game, to find out who won.  Of course I would like to see a win, but a close or respectable loss would give GC alot of confidence against a program of Richlands' caliber.  And I agree with GC1, if GC has some key injuries early, it will be tough to earn wins.

Hard to believe that Richlands can graduate the 4 players that had the "wow" factor and replace it.  This year is more about physical play for them.  Look for them to know what they have and adjust accordingly.   

Like I wrote in the other thread. 27 to 10 or 14ish in favor of Richlands, but a game that is a contest going into the fourth. I've watching Gate City for years other than a couple here in there in the mid 2000s. The line offensively and defensively at GC is the best since the team a few years back that beat Bluefield. When you have very solid lineplay, the plus side is that you are going to be in most games (its hard for teams to pull away.) When you don't have many speedy, quick, or athletic guys at the skill positions, the down side is you are also going to be in most games (hard to pull away from people by big margins or come from behind if down.) 

Gate City will not face a better secondary all year long than Grahams. I've seen Unions and Richlands last year, and they may have better overall defenses than Graham's, but not a better back four. With that written, Graham supposebly returns 8 on D. The key for Gate City like any run power team with little super explosive playmakers is turnovers either way. If they get 3 from Union or Richlands, its a game deep in the fourth. If they lose 3 and give up just two long pass plays, Game over for GC.

Overall, GC is better than what people think. Many people nowadays think and rationalize and make conclusions based on emotion and not always rationale thought.  Speed, spread offenses, and quick scores and back flips in the end zone are good and bring out the emotional factors and thoughts of "state title chances" without even considering or looking at the lineplay.  But, there is one half of the players on the field at the line of scrimmage. The line of scrimmage doesn't bring out the wow factor or emotional factor, and with today's generation, the instant conclusion so many times is "were not impressed" or a tendency to underestimate a team like GC. Great teams of course are good in all facets with athletism and bigs up front that can block.  

I got the Gate at 7-3. Because of our lack athletism and verticle passing game, we lose a game that maybe we shouldn't like Riverridge or S. South. Because of the solid lineplay, we win one game this year that we shouldn't like Union, Richlands, or D. Boone.

I'm not all that sold on Boone. From what I heard, Battle wore them out earlier. This also isn't the South teams of the past few years. GC is better than people think, but I wish we were playing Richlands around week 7 instead of week 1. I'd run the ball until they stop it. We tried getting cute Friday night and it cost us.

24 minutes ago, GC_Quincy said:

I'm not all that sold on Boone. From what I heard, Battle wore them out earlier. This also isn't the South teams of the past few years. GC is better than people think, but I wish we were playing Richlands around week 7 instead of week 1. I'd run the ball until they stop it. We tried getting cute Friday night and it cost us.

That would be playing directly into Richlands' strength. I don't think running the ball will be what beats the Blues this year. 

2 hours ago, GC_Quincy said:

I've always said having Richlands at week one is bad for Gate City. That game needs to be late in the season. 

1 hour ago, honestjohn said:

How about an update on Logan?

Out for the year.

On the bright side, Richlands has what I believe to be their greatest kicker ever.   Thursday night he was constantly kicking the ball into the endzone on kickoffs, and he also made a 47 or 48 yard field goal with distance to spare.

14 hours ago, TTownTigers said:

I got the Gate at 7-3. Because of our lack athletism and verticle passing game, we lose a game that maybe we shouldn't like Riverridge or S. South. Because of the solid lineplay, we win one game this year that we shouldn't like Union, Richlands, or D. Boone.

Who is Riverridge?  Lmao

7 hours ago, zcounts61 said:

Richlands 41-13

I don't see the game going in that direction.  Both teams will depend on their line play and running game for the most part which will keep the scoring down a little more than it has been in the past. ( unless one team or the other turns the ball over a lot )  The Blues will depend on their D ( Justice being out is a blow to the D but they will adjust and still be good ),  the D, run and the kicking game is going to carry them at least in the early part of the season.  They will be able to throw the ball some but not like they have in the past so I don't see them putting up big offensive numbers early on, so I look for the score to be somewhere in the 28 to 13 or 14 range.

Of course I'm usually wrong so who knows !

People can say running the ball plays right into Richlands hands. But that's what GC always did in the past and still won. If the line gets a solid push and the backs block for each other GC can be successful. We (Akers) gotta quit out-smarting ourselves. Akers abandons what works. You gain 29 yards on 4 straight running plays, then you throw it for an interception on 3rd and 1. Who the hell does that? If GC kept the ball on the ground, we could have scored a couple times on Graham. We punted the ball 1 vs Graham. Everything else were turnovers by fumble or interceptions. Line the ball up and run it down Richlands throat. If they stop it, tip the hat. But with beast like Cregor and Calhoun in the backfield that are well over 200lbs, it's certainly our strongpoint and should grind the ball on the ground for 3-4 yards until its stopped.

And the game film vs Grundy and scrimmages I've watched on Richlands, I don't see them being that much better than GC. I think a lot of people are looking through navy blue glasses. It's not the same team Richlands has fielded in the past. But it could turn into a blowout if GC gives Richlands the ball due to turnovers. I expect a close ballgame. 

17 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

People can say running the ball plays right into Richlands hands. But that's what GC always did in the past and still won. If the line gets a solid push and the backs block for each other GC can be successful. We (Akers) gotta quit out-smarting ourselves. Akers abandons what works. You gain 29 yards on 4 straight running plays, then you throw it for an interception on 3rd and 1. Who the hell does that? If GC kept the ball on the ground, we could have scored a couple times on Graham. We punted the ball 1 vs Graham. Everything else were turnovers by fumble or interceptions. Line the ball up and run it down Richlands throat. If they stop it, tip the hat. But with beast like Cregor and Calhoun in the backfield that are well over 200lbs, it's certainly our strongpoint and should grind the ball on the ground for 3-4 yards until its stopped.

And the game film vs Grundy and scrimmages I've watched on Richlands, I don't see them being that much better than GC. I think a lot of people are looking through navy blue glasses. It's not the same team Richlands has fielded in the past. But it could turn into a blowout if GC gives Richlands the ball due to turnovers. I expect a close ballgame. 

You can't take much from a benefit game. I spoke with a coach that said Richlands only ran 9-12 total plays with the 1s. They didn't open the playbook on offense or defense much. 

I've said all year the offense will take time to click. It's not going to be as explosive as it was last year. But to think that t won't be good at all isn't right, imo. 

Had Justus not been lost for the season, I would have been comfortable in saying this defense could be on the best ever at Richlands. Losing him hurts, much more so on defense than offense. 

I could be wrong, but I see this as a 38-14 type game. Hate I'm gonna miss it. 

18 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

You can't take much from a benefit game. I spoke with a coach that said Richlands only ran 9-12 total plays with the 1s. They didn't open the playbook on offense or defense much. 

I've said all year the offense will take time to click. It's not going to be as explosive as it was last year. But to think that t won't be good at all isn't right, ...

Strangely enough, most of the points I've seen have come from explosive passing plays.  I'm not saying this team is anywhere near as explosive as last year's team, but I have been happy with the big play potential as shown in the scrimmages.

27 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Had Justus not been lost for the season, I would have been comfortable in saying this defense could be on the best ever at Richlands. Losing him hurts, much more so on defense than offense. 

I think they have the potential to be good, but I still think the 2006 defensive Blues would be hard to top.

1 minute ago, tbgfan said:

I think they have the potential to be good, but I still think the 2006 defensive Blues would be hard to top.

That's why I said "could be" and not "would be" hahaha. The 2015 defense was no snub, either. 

3 hours ago, parsons said:

Out for the year.

On the bright side, Richlands has what I believe to be their greatest kicker ever.   Thursday night he was constantly kicking the ball into the endzone on kickoffs, and he also made a 47 or 48 yard field goal with distance to spare.

Very dissapointed he left Hurley, but was pulling for him to have a great year at Richland's He was by far the best defensive ball player I saw last season.

1 minute ago, honestjohn said:

Very dissapointed he left Hurley, but was pulling for him to have a great year at Richland's He was by far the best defensive ball player I saw last season.

From his quotes in the paper, he made it sound like the decision wasn't made with football that much in mind. 

I was not at the Grundy/Richlands game, and making my assessment from the broadcast.  On Grundy first series, they did move the ball quite well against the Blues.  Moved it from their 20 down to Blues side of field.  It was disconcerting, but the Blues rose to the occasion and made adjustments to stop Grundy.     I feel the Blues coaching staff  made good adjustments in that 1st half to stymie Grundy's offense.  They didn't shut it down but pretty well contained it.   Runbacks were not allowed on the punts, only fair catches.  The lone Grundy score came after an interception deep in Blues territory. 

As Ryan and others have said, I believe the Blues out-of-the-gate strength will be the defensive side of the ball.  The couple of injuries on the offensive side of the ball may cause some miscues, but I believe it will gel also as they are battle tested in games. 

Forrest leg may be the deciding factor in some close ones. 

Lord willing, will be at the "Ernie" Friday night for this game.

Going with my Richlands Blues in a 31-14 score.