Gate City @ Richlands

Leatherhead Larry

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

IMO, the 2005 defense was the best I had seen in my 60+ years of watching Richlands football.

Yup. Too bad they pissed away a title they easily should have won. Started celebrating a week too early. 

1 minute ago, Ryan4VT said:

Lost to Turner Ashby in 05. 

Beat Rockbridge Co. in 06. 

Lost to Monticello in 07. 

Yea that's right...was keeping with 05 and 06 while we was in Harrisonburg both years...beating Manassas park in 05 and losing to goochland in 06...DJ Cole's and John hicks were too much for us

Saw the Monticello game in person...heck of a game

7 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Yea that's right...was keeping with 05 and 06 while we was in Harrisonburg both years...beating Manassas park in 05 and losing to goochland in 06...DJ Cole's and John hicks were too much for us

Saw the Monticello game in person...heck of a game

I was a senior in high school for that game. I had a rule all 5 years that I was in band: "Never. Sit. Down." The clarinets behind the low brass row hated me, because unless someone was injured, I was standing up. I was so heartbroken that game, that I sat down with about 5 min to go and just cried. Wanted nothing more as a senior than to see my classmates and friends go out on top. Always be a sour memory for me. 

Being a football fan from Radford and knowing that these two schools have been powerhouses for a while I am wanting to find out what these schools have today. I caught a Richlands game with a friend of mine up this way in the playoffs and was really impressed with the quarterback Asbury I believe it was.  I'm not sure what Gate City is like this year as far as qb and receivers. I don't think there are many great teams in this area except for those in the River Ridge District. We have Blacksburg as defending champs up here which is really cool. 

Out of curiosity as a fan who keeps up with the football teams in the lower southwest and watches this site I see this as a game that may be interesting to watch. Before I travel to watch a game with power teams playing I want to know how they match up.  I would like for each of you who would to tell me how these teams match up at these positions:

Gate City QB  vs. Richlands QB   (age, experience ability, toughness)

Gate City Backs vs. Richlands Backs  (age, experience, ability, toughness, toughest player)

Gate City Receivers vs. Richlands Receivers (age, experience, ability, toughness, toughest player)

Gate City Defensive Line vs. Richlands Defensive Line (age, experience, ability, toughness, toughest player)

Gate City Secondary vs. Richlands Secondary  (ages, experience, ability, toughness, toughest player) 

If anyone would like to show their football expertise in these areas this will help me to know whether or not I want to take a road trip and watch this game or not.

16 minutes ago, HowTheWestWasWon2017 said:

Being a football fan from Radford and knowing that these two schools have been powerhouses for a while I am wanting to find out what these schools have today. I caught a Richlands game with a friend of mine up this way in the playoffs and was really impressed with the quarterback Asbury I believe it was.  I'm not sure what Gate City is like this year as far as qb and receivers. I don't think there are many great teams in this area except for those in the River Ridge District. We have Blacksburg as defending champs up here which is really cool. 

Out of curiosity as a fan who keeps up with the football teams in the lower southwest and watches this site I see this as a game that may be interesting to watch. Before I travel to watch a game with power teams playing I want to know how they match up.  I would like for each of you who would to tell me how these teams match up at these positions:

Gate City QB  vs. Richlands QB   (age, experience ability, toughness)

Gate City Backs vs. Richlands Backs  (age, experience, ability, toughness, toughest player)

Gate City Receivers vs. Richlands Receivers (age, experience, ability, toughness, toughest player)

Gate City Defensive Line vs. Richlands Defensive Line (age, experience, ability, toughness, toughest player)

Gate City Secondary vs. Richlands Secondary  (ages, experience, ability, toughness, toughest player) 

If anyone would like to show their football expertise in these areas this will help me to know whether or not I want to take a road trip and watch this game or not.

Just wait a week and drive down to Union and watch Richlands @ Union. 6 games decided by a combined 13 points, I believe. And three straight games decided on the last play. 

There is no better rivalry. 

20 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Just wait a week and drive down to Union and watch Richlands @ Union. 6 games decided by a combined 13 points, I believe. And three straight games decided on the last play. 

4 straight years!

The first game wasn't decided until 1:27 left in the 4th and the 2nd game was still in play with under 5 minutes.

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

Rumors are that the Union vs Richlands games are staged. Any truth to that?? Jk ? I would love to see this game! 

10 minutes ago, starcityfootballfan said:
8 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Giles-Blackburg will be a dog fight ... but drive on up to Mitchell Stadium to witness Graham vs. Bluefield!

Sorry Union_Fan ... accidentally deleted your quote! BTW ... hope you guys have a great season!

It's going to be the best rivalry high school game this year!! Better not miss this one!!! I think this game will be bigger than Graham and Bluefield if Union had a stadium that could hold the crowd. To bad there's not a college stadium close by they could use....just think about all that gate money they could make!!!