Gate City @ Richlands

Leatherhead Larry

20 minutes ago, BlackWolf5 said:

It's going to be the best rivalry high school game this year!! Better not miss this one!!! I think this game will be bigger than Graham and Bluefield if Union had a stadium that could hold the crowd. To bad there's not a college stadium close by they could use....just think about all that gate money they could make!!!

hmm.jpg

Not to re-hijack the thread, but this is the toughest GC team we've had in awhile. Don't be surprised if it isn't closer than most think. If they get down big early though, I don't see them coming back this early in the year without a quick-strike threat.

I agree. Not sure GC has the weapons to come back from more than 10 points down. To win games this year, we are going to have to avoid turnovers, and control the clock. Really expect we will be able to run the ball effectively against most teams on our schedule.

Makes perfect sense to me that Union would move the Richlands game to a Thursday/Saturday and play it at UVA Wise. I would be there.

8 hours ago, EH31 said:

hmm.jpg

Back in the 90's APPALACHIA VS PV we had a gate of 10,000. I worked the game and in most places they were 5 deep. I didnt see the first play, hell i couldnt see the field.When you look at google earth and compare BULLITT PARK to RICHLANDS FIELD , we have more seating FOR THE VISITORS, but it would be a great to play at UVA at WISE

On 8/22/2017 at 10:24 AM, Ryan4VT said:

Just wait a week and drive down to Union and watch Richlands @ Union. 6 games decided by a combined 13 points, I believe. And three straight games decided on the last play. 

There is no better rivalry. 

I look forward to passing all those slow Richlands drivers with their Blue Tornado car flags on Alt 58 between Hansonville and Norton that night on my way to Shelby Valley.  :D

32 minutes ago, GC_Quincy said:

Visitors seating at UVA-Wise is horrible, unless they've expanded since GC last played there.

15 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Nope, they still suck. That hillside is pretty nice if you bring a fold out chair.

The crowds were around 10,000 or so back when they used to play the D1 & D2 1A Region D title games over there many years ago.  But there were a lot of people standing though or in their vehicles behind the pressbox watching the game and staying warm.

54 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I look forward to passing all those slow Richlands drivers with their Blue Tornado car flags on Alt 58 between Hansonville and Norton that night on my way to Shelby Valley.  :D

Wish I would be one of those cars. Missing the Union game is the 2nd worst part of calling games for another team this year lol. 

8 minutes ago, GC_Quincy said:

There's a bug going around Ryan. It would be a shame if you were to "get sick" and have to miss calling a game..lol

Speaking of which, this is the first GC/Richlands game that I have ever missed.

This is the first Richlands/GC game I've missed since they started playing in the early 2000s. 

I only get to see 2 Richlands games for sure this year. That is the least amount of Blues games I will have EVER seen. I went to all 5 home games as a 5-8 month old in 1990. This season will be very odd for me. 

11 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

This is the first Richlands/GC game I've missed since they started playing in the early 2000s. 

I only get to see 2 Richlands games for sure this year. That is the least amount of Blues games I will have EVER seen. I went to all 5 home games as a 5-8 month old in 1990. This season will be very odd for me. 

And one of those will be Lebanon.  A barn burner for sure.  :D

1 hour ago, mnuckels said:

LOL I hope River Ridge is the only team that beats GC this year. That would be a good thing for the Blue Devils.

I love how it's been three years now and people, even around here, still can't get Ridgeview correct.  What do you do?  Just chuckle about it and go on.

It's like the people who call Richlands, Rich-luns.  Or called Haysi, Hay-see.

Funniest one though was when I was in a gas station once in Abingdon and someone clearly from out of town asked me, "Hey, how do you pronounce this town name? A-big-dong?"  I couldn't stop laughing for like 2 hours straight.

Bullitt Park should have had more seating added 35 years ago when P.Valley started winning state titles. The city of Big Stone Gap has literally had over 1/3rd of a century to upgrade and the justification for doing so has been obvious for well.....over 1/3rd of a century.  That's a poor effort on Big Stone Gap's part and its not like they have had the same city counsel members for 1/3rd of a century. They have came and gone and each of them has dropped the ball. The setting is so cool and the entire environment is so awesome other than, the volume of seats which decreases the game/event experience in what would be near perfect for a high school stadium/environment. Literally, just 1500 more seats would do the trick. Ask the Jones's for the money, raise money, do something, just 1500 more seats would make that an A+ environment.

Not saying that Big Stone is run totally bad--they sure have their pitfalls and high points--but they do drop the ball on tons of things. The seating at the football field is one thing. It could be more. The abysmal bathrooms is another thing. They really need to fix those up!

I will say that the playground looks very nice: especially the splash pad. 

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 3:51 PM, swva_havok_fan said:

I love how it's been three years now and people, even around here, still can't get Ridgeview correct.  What do you do?  Just chuckle about it and go on.

It's like the people who call Richlands, Rich-luns.  Or called Haysi, Hay-see.

Funniest one though was when I was in a gas station once in Abingdon and someone clearly from out of town asked me, "Hey, how do you pronounce this town name? A-big-dong?"  I couldn't stop laughing for like 2 hours straight.

LOL that's why I said if "River Ridge" is GC only loss it will good year for the Devils.