Union @ J.I. Burton

Unionguy_2017

8 hours ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

something seemed off mentally tonight. I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it was since they were playing Burton. I think things will Ramp up when the Blue Tornado come to town.

I don't think there was a sense of urgency last night. I believe that's what you were picking up. It was similar to last year....like a 3rd scrimmage. They didn't have to put forth much effort and they knew that. They'll be ready next week.

On a side note. This was the first shutout since a 19-0 win against Lebanon in 2011 and only the 2nd in the history of Union's existence. Travis always attempts to let the other team score at least one touchdown. Against Gretna in 2015, late in the game, with the reserves in, he went for and didn't make a 4th and long inside our own 30 yard line just to give Gretna a chance to score, which they did. The fact that Burton couldn't score last night speaks to how good our JV is or how inept Burton was last night.

Union was in control.  Did what they had to do to get the 'W'.  They absolutely could've done more but next week is the big one.  The Bears will be ready.

I was shocked when I got there about 6:20 and the Burton side was still 3/4ths empty.  I figured the Union faithful would've already gobbled up their side as well.

I hadn't been to Lawson-Fitchko for several years, but I noticed last night that a lot of people were standing at the fence behind the pressbox at street level watching the game, so I made a mental note of that, so next time I go to a game there I won't have to pay.  Lol

2 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

I don't think there was a sense of urgency last night. I believe that's what you were picking up. It was similar to last year....like a 3rd scrimmage. They didn't have to put forth much effort and they knew that. They'll be ready next week.

On a side note. This was the first shutout since a 19-0 win against Lebanon in 2011 and only the 2nd in the history of Union's existence. Travis always attempts to let the other team score at least one touchdown. Against Gretna in 2015, late in the game, with the reserves in, he went for and didn't make a 4th and long inside our own 30 yard line just to give Gretna a chance to score, which they did. The fact that Burton couldn't score last night speaks to how good our JV is or how inept Burton was last night.

I agree with about all of that since I was there and saw the game.  Burton had several opportunities and let them slip by. Union's line play certainly needs some work.  The Zirkle kid is for real as a RB.  Kind of reminded me of the Blankenship kid from Richlands a few years back.  He certainly is a hard runner and has good vision.  I definitely agree there wasn't a sense of urgency.  Heck, Union showed up as they started the national anthem, walked off the bus, stretched a little and then it was kickoff time.

Burton was out manned from the start that was a apparent.  Numbers alone you could see that.  What surprised me most was the fact that Union had so many players that go both ways.  I just figured with their numbers they would rest some of those.  Maybe it was because they were playing an inferior opponent.  I would hope Union kicks it in gear for next week.  If they play the way they played last against Richlands it could be a long night for the Bears.  Of course this is all just my opinion.   

49 minutes ago, Falcon Mania said:

Heck, Union showed up as they started the national anthem, walked off the bus, stretched a little and then it was kickoff time.

Tradition, we've traveled up state and they pull off on the side of the road and warm up in a cow pasture. 

I'm exaggerating a bit, but they don't like to show up til kickoff, and usually find somewhere else to warm up other than the field they are playing on. 

Carrying on I agree with others, I don't think Travis opened his playbook up completely for this game, he flipped to the pages he needed for the win. He's not wanting his big plays on film this year for the Blues to study this week. Mitchell only had 3 catches, yes he was targeted a few more though. Like the article said, Burton had more punts than they did first downs. Hopefully they can get their program built back up soon. I guess the JIB folks chanting "overrated" at the scrimmage last week against VA High seen what it tasted like. Good luck the rest of the year.

12 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Turner really has to work on getting the ball out quicker on the shorter timing plays. 

Agreed, especially with teams that have good speed on the corners. I noticed he was slow on some pitches to Owen's last night as well. Owens had to slow down and wait for it to develop moreso than zero to wide open, hit the hole and go. It's just week 1, were just getting settled in and we will be ok. 

14 hours ago, GoBearsGo said:

Kicking game looks solid, and for goodness sakes the kids name is Falin..lol

Sorry about that, was spelling it phonetically as it sounded to me.  Gosh, as old as my ears are, be glad it wasn't Gallon. 

14 minutes ago, tbgfan said:

Sorry about that, was spelling it phonetically as it sounded to me.  Gosh, as old as my ears are, be glad it wasn't Gallon. 

No worries, only having a little fun. The radio announcer was butchering that name all game long. He has a good leg that could be a weapon this season. 

I agree with you guys about Turner seemed like he was in slow motion.  The screen pass he threw that almost got picked took about 4 seconds to release.  Looks like he's improved on the deep ball though.  We better work on the turnovers though.  Hopefully they'll work on the passing game in practice this week because we can't just run on Richland's without a passing game.

12 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

I agree with you guys about Turner seemed like he was in slow motion.  The screen pass he threw that almost got picked took about 4 seconds to release.  Looks like he's improved on the deep ball though.  We better work on the turnovers though.  Hopefully they'll work on the passing game in practice this week because we can't just run on Richland's without a passing game.

The touchdown pass he threw to Qualls was really nice. However, the interception that he threw in Qualls direction was a pretty bad overthrow 

33 minutes ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

The touchdown pass he threw to Qualls was really nice. However, the interception that he threw in Qualls direction was a pretty bad overthrow 

It was a overthrown pass I agree, but I'm curious as if the sun in his eyes may have been a circumstance there

49 minutes ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

The Int. was right in front of me I don't think the Burton kid even knew he caught it.  It was a bad throw but the receiver could have went a little harder after the ball.