Tazewell @ Virginia High

Taz_Dawg61

3 hours ago, zcounts61 said:

Virginia High 38-21

I'm right there with you. If Tazewell's middle school team last year is an indication of their future, they are going to be pretty good. They will take their lumps this year, as the current group of Bearcats have over the last 2 seasons.

VHS 35-14

What I'm curious to is what should we be looking for out of both teams.  I know Tazewell is young and small in numbers.  Don't know much about V High.  I ask for the same every year, let's see growth and stability as the season progresses.  This coach and players coming up have the capability of being something really good.  I know plenty will say it's just a matter of time until this coach leaves but I ask those that make the comments, how much do you really know about the internal situations?  The parts that never really come to light.  I have a window in to part of it but not all.  Time for everyone to rise up and get behind the Dogs and let's see it get back to the glory years again!

As far as prediction, I do believe that V High gets this one.  I think there is the possibility to keep it close early but then the depth and youth factor will takeover.  I'm not going to predict a score but I will say I think (hope) that it is within 21 pts.

On 8/21/2017 at 10:02 AM, stu_bean said:

What I'm curious to is what should we be looking for out of both teams.  I know Tazewell is young and small in numbers.  Don't know much about V High.  I ask for the same every year, let's see growth and stability as the season progresses.  This coach and players coming up have the capability of being something really good.  I know plenty will say it's just a matter of time until this coach leaves but I ask those that make the comments, how much do you really know about the internal situations?  The parts that never really come to light.  I have a window in to part of it but not all.  Time for everyone to rise up and get behind the Dogs and let's see it get back to the glory years again!

As far as prediction, I do believe that V High gets this one.  I think there is the possibility to keep it close early but then the depth and youth factor will takeover.  I'm not going to predict a score but I will say I think (hope) that it is within 21 pts.

VHS had to deal with the youth issue last year. They have 17 players who either started or got significant playing time last year, returning. Most of which are Juniors. For once, Bristol actually has fairly high expectations for a sports program other than baseball. We've been looking forward to this season for a few years.

So far, after dominating Sullivan East, and a pretty good showing at Union, the Cats seem poised to be possibly headed towards a more successful season than we've been used to. It's a struggle to get thru a season with a lot of youngsters but Tazewell's future seems to be pretty bright, if last year's middle school team is any indication of things to come.

I look for Tazewell to start off slow like they did last week in the benefit game. Came out second half and just took it to them. If they can keep it close first half they can make a game out of it in the second half, of course if we don't turn it over and no injuries! May be a long season for the dogs as I've said before, but it's gonna be fun to watch these boys come together as team over the next few years!

I was a little shocked by the roster that Tazewell had in the paper.  There were only like 7 or 8 freshmen on the roster did several middle school kids from last year not play this year? Maybe a little success can help get those kids back out in the future.

The way I see it no matter how the season goes, the seniors are winners on this team.  They stuck it out and stayed committed to the team.  I'll take that anyday over a transfer glory seeker or a quitter.  The players that step out on the field Friday night are already winners no matter what the end score is!

18 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

I'm hopeful Tazewell can build something to turn their program around.  The kids there obviously have some talent, else they wouldn't have had the records in middle school they did.  Tazewell fans have suffered enough.

Maybe the fact that they were not picked to finish last by the coaches will lift the spirits of the 'Dawgs somewhat.  I hope so.

I was at the game and theoffence was TERRIBLE. The defense was definitely better than last year but anything is better than last year's defense and great tackling compared to last season. I bleed green and white and love bulldog football, but I've seen definitely seen better offensive play calling at lower levels of the sport. I don't know what the offence stats were in the first half but from the stands they couldn't have been more than a 70 yards of total offence. The players are young and we are undersized I understand that. On the other hand if a play does not work after 10 tries please stop running the same play. We have to mix up the play calling if we are going to win game. I may be jumping the gun on just one game but if you don't have coaches that can run a offense any better than they did tonight we need to find someone who can. I don't see how much of the blame can be on our athletes when the same plays are ran that have failed numerous times. I'm very thankful for the players even having heart to stick with a program like ours. The players gave 110% and had some shows of great talent to come. I hope that coach Harris can do well with the boys. As a true die hard Tazewell fan and alumni can we please find a solid foundation and a winning demeanor for our boys?

FB_IMG_1503685591822.jpg

5 hours ago, zcounts61 said:

I was at the game and theoffence was TERRIBLE. The defense was definitely better than last year but anything is better than last year's defense and great tackling compared to last season. I bleed green and white and love bulldog football, but I've seen definitely seen better offensive play calling at lower levels of the sport. I don't know what the offence stats were in the first half but from the stands they couldn't have been more than a 70 yards of total offence. The players are young and we are undersized I understand that. On the other hand if a play does not work after 10 tries please stop running the same play. We have to mix up the play calling if we are going to win game. I may be jumping the gun on just one game but if you don't have coaches that can run a offense any better than they did tonight we need to find someone who can. I don't see how much of the blame can be on our athletes when the same plays are ran that have failed numerous times. I'm very thankful for the players even having heart to stick with a program like ours. The players gave 110% and had some shows of great talent to come. I hope that coach Harris can do well with the boys. As a true die hard Tazewell fan and alumni can we please find a solid foundation and a winning demeanor for our boys?

FB_IMG_1503685591822.jpg

Really gonna start find new coaches already? Get the **** Out her with that bull****! Freshman and Sophomore's playing both ways with a hand full of Sr's on the team. 

6 hours ago, zcounts61 said:

FB_IMG_1503685591822.jpg

Fundamentals first, work on execution and be consistent. Just because we had explosive offense last year you can't expect the same this year. Yes the dogs were lethargic on offense in the 1st half but they started clicking and doing better in the second. The coaches will be fine. Talk about mixing it up, how about that fake punt?  It didn't work but almost. These guys should be proud of their effort. The season is going to get much harder. Yes the officials were absolutely terrible. Don't know how they missed several things that happened right in front of them but they missed it both ways. Did it affect the outcome, no. Guys stick with it and more will see the dedication and hard work and we can build back. Be proud that you held their offense to 21 and they got 14 of those on short fields. I'm proud of what the dogs did last night. Just keep your heads high and continue to give it your all. 

Off my soapbox now.

Just like Stu bean said. I see potential in tazewell. My expectation wasnt going be high for this season. I knew they had 28 kids out. New offense and lot of learn curves. This is learning season for our youth. I'm proud we do have kids that do come back out and put the work in. I'm hoping more kids see effort this boys bring to field and get more out. Nothing against Montcalm but I like the second half adjusts they did in benefit game. They came out and scored 3 times in 3rd quarter. Just keep growth dawgs. 

9 hours ago, zcounts61 said:

FB_IMG_1503685591822.jpg

That's part or most of what the problem is there now,  the boys need some stability and consistency in the program,  not looking for new coaches after 1 game.  They are young and a new system and small numbers.  Whats needed is patience and support !  It may very well be a long season and tough to watch at times,  but give them some time and let the coaches do their job.

I know you may not want to hear that from a Richlands fan,  but I do care about their program and kids because my daughter went to school there and was a cheerleader there back in the early 2000's and I use to go to all of their games back then and still try to keep up with what is going on there, so I would love to see them get the program back to where it once was and should be.

2 hours ago, Bigrhsfan said:

That's part or most of what the problem is there now,  the boys need some stability and consistency in the program,  not looking for new coaches after 1 game.  They are young and a new system and small numbers.  Whats needed is patience and support !  It may very well be a long season and tough to watch at times,  but give them some time and let the coaches do their job.

I know you may not want to hear that from a Richlands fan,  but I do care about their program and kids because my daughter went to school there and was a cheerleader there back in the early 2000's and I use to go to all of their games back then and still try to keep up with what is going on there, so I would love to see them get the program back to where it once was and should be.

^^^^^^^

THIS

What nobody realizes is they need Tazewell to get better. And I stress need. Give them patience and it will work out. Do we really need doormat teams in our dwindling area? We need contenders. You want these games to be competitive. We want support from communities. We want 5,000 watching every game. I played and won at Tazewell. We are on the right track.