Tazewell @ Virginia High

Taz_Dawg61

3 hours ago, Bigrhsfan said:

That's part or most of what the problem is there now,  the boys need some stability and consistency in the program,  not looking for new coaches after 1 game.  They are young and a new system and small numbers.  Whats needed is patience and support !  It may very well be a long season and tough to watch at times,  but give them some time and let the coaches do their job.

I know you may not want to hear that from a Richlands fan,  but I do care about their program and kids because my daughter went to school there and was a cheerleader there back in the early 2000's and I use to go to all of their games back then and still try to keep up with what is going on there, so I would love to see them get the program back to where it once was and should be.

Words of wisdom from a Blue Tornado. ?

This was posted from a good friend of mine and a fellow teammate back in the day and a coach and role model for our young guys in the community today! 

I want to take a moment and recognize what our varsity football team done last night. They started off slow. They had a lot of nerves flowing. This is because of their youth. A lot of them are freshman and sophomore players. They fought back against va highs first team and held them scoreless in the second half. A few big plays were made by this young team. They are learning. They are gaining experience. They are taking advantage of this opportunity at playing earlier in their high school careers. The coaches are instilling a hard nosed work ethic into these players. They are making them accountable for their actions. They are molding them into tougher football players. And more importantly tougher hard working individuals. That is a key ingredient to success. Isn't that what we want for our kids. To be resilient and goal oriented. Not look for ways out. Or find excuses. Now as parents and supporters In our area we need to remember success isn't a over night process. It doesn't come gift wrapped. We have to teach our kids to be supportive and positive. We have to teach them that when you get hit in the mouth you have to respond. We need to teach them how to respect our coaches and buy in. The negativity will eat out the core. This has been our problem for years. Now as a community and parents we need to get on board and support them.  I want everyone to think about a teacher or coach who pushed you hard in the past.  They are probably the ones you respect the most. Or learned the most from.

17 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

I don't mean this is as an insult whatsoever, but when was Tazwell really good? Im honestly asking. It's a program I know very little about and am curious to know when their best stretch of winning football was played. 

80's they were a powerhouse and even before then they were good. Things changed about mid 90's then had flashes of a few good years. It's not been until the last 8 really that things went bad. 

1 hour ago, stu_bean said:

80's they were a powerhouse and even before then they were good. Things changed about mid 90's then had flashes of a few good years. It's not been until the last 8 really that things went bad. 

Thanks, I'm not familiar with the Bulldog program. They were never a big factor year in year out in my lifetime, but people spoke about their success in the past.

Things take time, especially with a new coach. When Ragsdale took over Giles in 1978 I'm pretty sure he went 1-9 then maybe 3-7 the year after that. But in 1980 Ragsdale still stuck with the single-wing and got Giles their first state title which then led to two more state titles.

In 2009 Williams took over Giles. Went 6-5 his first season, 5-5 his next then went 5 years with only losing 5 games and got Giles their 4th title. Things take time, not many coaches get a team to 15-0 their first season.  

Giles is one of the smaller 2A schools with enrollment of under 530 I believe. And we only average around 30-35 players a year. Stop firing coaches after having a couple of bad seasons. Success takes time.

Tazewell was a powerhouse long before the 80s. They were good in the 1950s, and very, very good in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. The dropped off in the early 90s and haven't been the same since about 25 years.

I am not sure what the All Time Series is now with Richlands and Graham, but up until about 1994, even with the Richlands title of 1992 and Grahams title in the 60s and late 80s, Tazewell's led the All Time Series against both schools if I am not mistaken. Again, that is up until about 1994. A friend of mine from Tazewell's told me this a few years ago.

So, I am saying, Tazewell was once good and good for a long time...up until the early to mid 90s.

Then my friend was correct.  Up and until about 1994 or even 1995, Tazewell led the all time series with both schools. Graham has 18 more wins and I guess going back to 1994, you figure that is 22 times met and a couple Tazewell winning once in the playoffs over Graham in what I remember was an upset, and so you get about 22-24 appearances in the last 22 years and figure Graham has 20 of the 22, so yes, at about 1994 (mid 90s) Tazewell still had the all time series lead with both Graham and Richlands.  

3 hours ago, TTownTigers said:

Tazewell was a powerhouse long before the 80s. They were good in the 1950s, and very, very good in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. The dropped off in the early 90s and haven't been the same since about 25 years.

I am not sure what the All Time Series is now with Richlands and Graham, but up until about 1994, even with the Richlands title of 1992 and Grahams title in the 60s and late 80s, Tazewell's led the All Time Series against both schools if I am not mistaken. Again, that is up until about 1994. A friend of mine from Tazewell's told me this a few years ago.

So, I am saying, Tazewell was once good and good for a long time...up until the early to mid 90s.

That's when baseball took over. Thanks Lou Perry. Singlehandedly killed football

12 hours ago, thundercloud said:

Wasn't it 2004  they meet Vick Hall and Gretna in the D-3 playoffs.

Also Followed by a strong season in 08 that would have been interesting in post season had it not been for that controversial XP attempt

12 hours ago, thundercloud said:

Wasn't it 2004  they meet Vick Hall and Gretna in the D-3 playoffs.

2004 was the weakest year in the 23-year history of R4D3.  Richlands was still in R4D4 (losing a state semifinal to Salem).  Graham was dealing with a rebuilding season post-Bradshaw.  Virginia High won the pitiful Highlands District with a 4-6 season.  Grundy was the only team in R4D3 that could be considered "above-average" (actually, that Grundy team was stellar, at 9-1).

Who comes out of R4D3?  A thoroughly mediocre Tazewell team that was the benefactor of one of the biggest screw jobs in VHSL history.  Grundy lost the 1st round playoff game to Virginia High 7-0 in OT, despite approximately 47 Grundy TDs being called back for some phantom penalty or other.  

Tazewell beat Graham in some 17-15 sort of game that set the sport back 40 years, and unbeknownst to the world Glynn Carlock would be dead 9 months later.  Not the way he should've gone out.  Tazewell took advantage of their gift from God the following week and won to advance to the state semifinals.  

Tazewell traveled to Gretna to face a team that obviously had their minds set on the following week.  Gretna scored 56 in a game where they really let up off the throttle very early.  Tazewell did score 28, most of which were points well after the competitive phase of that game had ended.

Tazewell's 2008 team was far superior.

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

2004 was the weakest year in the 23-year history of R4D3.  Richlands was still in R4D4 (losing a state semifinal to Salem).  Graham was dealing with a rebuilding season post-Bradshaw.  Virginia High won the pitiful Highlands District with a 4-6 season.  Grundy was the only team in R4D3 that could be considered "above-average" (actually, that Grundy team was stellar, at 9-1).

Who comes out of R4D3?  A thoroughly mediocre Tazewell team that was the benefactor of one of the biggest screw jobs in VHSL history.  Grundy lost the 1st round playoff game to Virginia High 7-0 in OT, despite approximately 47 Grundy TDs being called back for some phantom penalty or other.  

Tazewell beat Graham in some 17-15 sort of game that set the sport back 40 years, and unbeknownst to the world Glynn Carlock would be dead 9 months later.  Not the way he should've gone out.  Tazewell took advantage of their gift from God the following week and won to advance to the state semifinals.  

Tazewell traveled to Gretna to face a team that obviously had their minds set on the following week.  Gretna scored 56 in a game where they really let up off the throttle very early.  Tazewell did score 28, most of which were points well after the competitive phase of that game had ended.

Tazewell's 2008 team was far superior.

Can't take credit away from where it is due.  New coach first season.  Tazewell does beat Va High twice.  I unfortunanlty didn't make it but I remember on the radio they said Gretna normally always went for 2 and rarely punted.  They made them kick XPs and punted several times.  It's not always black and white but take the good things out of what does happen.

1 hour ago, stu_bean said:

Can't take credit away from where it is due.  New coach first season.  Tazewell does beat Va High twice.  I unfortunanlty didn't make it but I remember on the radio they said Gretna normally always went for 2 and rarely punted.  They made them kick XPs and punted several times.  It's not always black and white but take the good things out of what does happen.

And I did so.  Tazewell beat the two teams placed in front of them, regardless of opponent strength or validity of the first round playoff results.  

My point is that that 2004 Tazewell team was significantly worse than the 1999 and 2008 teams, and is almost inarguably the worst team ever to play in a state semifinal in the old D3 format.  The closest comparison I could draw is the 1998 Graham team that got blown out by Rustburg in the state semifinals, but that team had to beat actual legitimate opponents (Lebanon was 10-1) to get there.  The combined records of Tazewell's playoff opponents in the first two rounds was 10-11.

When your case rests on beating a team twice that won its district at 4-6, and was 1-6 outside its own powderpuff district, I'm not exactly holding that team as an example of strength or tradition.  That 2004 team was an unremarkably average team that got several lucky breaks outside its own control and found itself playing into December.

That being said, "unremarkably average" would be a steep improvement over what Tazewell has fielded the last (almost) decade.  And for you guys, I hope it comes sooner rather than later.

3 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Tazewell beat Graham 7-5 during the regular season in '04 and 19-13 in the 1st round of the playoffs that season.

25 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

I couldn't remember the exact score (the one feature about the old website I miss), but I knew it was two very ugly, poorly played games.

The first of those games was not pretty and settled by a blocked field goal as time was about to expire.

Granted my work schedule held me away from games that year but I listened to everyone and followed the best I could.  The Dogs started off less than mediocre but started to come alive at the end of the season.  So who knows on the 5 losses from that season what could have happened.  As with anything in life its sometimes being in the right place at the right time and other times it's pure luck.

31 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

Didn't a Muncy from the 2004 team play at Tech?

I felt the 2008 team was much better than Richlands talent-wise and featured another Muncy, but lost twice to them head-to-head.  The second game was a great regional final.

Mark Muncey in 2004. Did play at VT

Matt Muncy in 2008. They had diifferent spelling of the last name.