Graham vs Bluefield

bgibb

I will go with Bluefield 24, Graham 21.  I think this game is a lower scoring game and think Graham will have much more total yards, but I have to go with Bluefield (haven't seen them this year though) over Graham (seen them at GC) because of coaching.  I'm not trying to be offensive here and apologize if offending anyone when writing this, but I am not sold a bit on Graham's coaching.  I see a team with great talent, but also a team that loves to talk trash to the opponents which was witnessed at GC and I saw it last year against Richlands in the playoffs.  This shows lack of class in my opinion and this is a direct reflection of the Head Coach who allows it.  Last year, I recall folks talking about Graham trash talking and taunting opponents before coming onto the field and I didn't believe it until seeing them play Richlands in the playoffs.  It's one thing if it happens a couple of times with only a few players and the coach gets on them, etc, but this seems like something the coach is well aware of because it's gone on longer than just a few times.  It is actually being allowed and supported by the coaching staff. This falls into the category of lack of mental toughness and concentration.  Graham had the same self inflicted issues in the scrimmage against GC with snap issues, unforced turnovers, personal fouls, etc.  Lack of mental toughness will cost Graham at least 2 losses this year.  When Graham gets into a contest where the overall talent and skill level of the opponent is close, the mental toughness issue will often tip the scales in favor of the opponent.  This is why I'm picking Bluefield. The Bluefield Coach has been around a long time and he's had great success.  He wouldn't be there this long if he were not a very good coach.  I can assure you that Coach Fry always had teams that were mentally tough and so did Coach Carlock who was another legend in double A ball in Virginia.  They were classy men and their teams had a sharp mental focus.  I just don't see the mental toughness with the Graham team of this year or last year and I think that coaching is directly responsible for this.  I'm just calling it like I see it.  When watching Appo against Richlands in the finals, I saw two very mentally tough teams.  Appo was not just super talented, but man oh man, they were sharp and detail oriented which stems from their Coaching.  In Graham, I am sensing a team with great talent that won last year, and will win this year with that talent, but in 50-50 games where the opponent is close in talent and skill, this issue could cost Graham.  

I can assure that Bluefield's players talk way too much trash too and it isn't because the coaches approve. It is what kids see and copy. Coach Palmer does not approve either and tries to prevent it but you have social media to deal with these days and it is hard to keep young men from doing what they want.

Talking trash is something all teams across the US have done for decades long before social media. The key difference, teams talk trash at different rates. If one jumps off a cliff, isn't it the same thing regardless? No, its not. A ten foot cliff is a huge difference from 100 feet. Also, a huge difference exists in waiting for the opponent to come out of the locker room to talk trash before the opponent comes on the field. I have never seen Bluefield do that, nor Union, nor GC, nor Richlands, nor any team in SWVA other than Graham of 2016 and guarantee you, the same thing in 2017 with Bluefield.

Want to know why I haven't seen teams waiting for the opponent to come out of the locker room to talk trash? Because the coach would tell the offenders to change clothes and hit the bench. Therefore, I think the Graham coach in fact, does approve of it. Coaches certainly can control it and they do. Its the reason the overwhelming majority of teams do not exhibit this behavior, because there are consequences. Actions speak loud, especially when they are not one brief snapshot in time, but done over a long haul. Behaviors exhibited repeatedly over time means approval from those that can control that behavior.

No horse in the race, but I remember Graham talking some hardcore trash to the union players as they arrived. That was some of the most trash talk I had seen at the high school level. I think it was in 2015, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Either way, it made for a very fun night. 

9 hours ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

No horse in the race, but I remember Graham talking some hardcore trash to the union players as they arrived. That was some of the most trash talk I had seen at the high school level. I think it was in 2015, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Either way, it made for a very fun night. 

It wasn't fun when a 6-5 Graham team was tied 28-28 with your 11-0 Union team heading into the 4th quarter.  It became much more "fun" for you after Cousin fell injured and Union rattled off 21 straight.

I know what I witnessed last year at two Graham games.  The first against Tazewell is expected to be some trash talking back and forth for a rival so I'll let that one go a bit.  In the playoffs against Martinsville, Graham comes out and goes halfway across the field barking and jawing at their players.  I know I was told that it is good to have that kind of spirit back in the team but there is a limit and always let your actions speak louder than words.

11 hours ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

It wasn't fun when a 6-5 Graham team was tied 28-28 with your 11-0 Union team heading into the 4th quarter.  It became much more "fun" for you after Cousin fell injured and Union rattled off 21 straight.

Yes, it was 2015. Yes, Graham was a very good/talented 6-5 team. Yes, it made for a fun night. Anything like that will always get the crowd motivated and the players hyped up. Cousin going out hurt Graham in a big way. Union's big DL getting hurt didn't help the run defense either. It was actually 28-21 going into the 4th. Long story short it was a good game by 2 talented teams. http://www.heraldcourier.com/sports/union-knocks-graham-out-sets-up-bout-with-defending-a/article_0546a62a-900d-11e5-9515-8778f93758cd.html

Don't want to hijack this thread, so I hope the Graham/Bluefield game is very entertaining this year. Don't have a clue who is going to win, but I'm sure it will be a thriller.

3 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

The atmosphere was fun the entire night. That's what I was referring to.