transfer rules

jarhead24219

I have a honest question on transfers.When a student athlete transfers schools does he/she have to be with a family member that lives inside that school district?if so can they live in say, TAZEWELL and go to RICHLANDS ,as long as they stay inside the same school division?Iknow there are cases where children are placed inside non family homes due to court action, but as a general rule do they have to be with a family member

I'm actually glad someone started this because I have a legit question as well and no I'm not trying to stir the pot worse lol!

I know of a situation where a family live in Bland Co but is taking their kids all the way to Max Meadows which I assume end up going to Ft Chiswell.  Anyway the family has not moved, setup any kind of residency, or even have relatives in Wythe Co.  Are there any guidelines?  Are the guidelines different for elementary vs high school?

I would love to see official statements from somewhere if such a thing exists.  Depending on the situation what's to keep people from just picking which school they want to go to in a given year?  The whole home school rule was overruled because he was afraid of recruitment of players.  I would love to see clarification just to settle all of it.

in Galax if you live outside the Galax city limits you have to send an letter to Galax School Superintendent every March/April for approval to attend the following year. Students in the city limits have first choice if student space is tight.

15 minutes ago, Single A west said:

in Galax if you live outside the Galax city limits you have to send an letter to Galax School Superintendent every March/April for approval to attend the following year. Students in the city limits have first choice if student space is tight.

Has anyone ever been denied?  If so, not to my knowledge!  

Back when Baywood and Fairview students commonly attended Galax rather than Independence, prior to Grayson County consolidation, Galax High School was far more populated than its current enrollment figures.  A coworker of mine graduated from Galax in 1985.  His senior yearbook suggests a graduating class of nearly 160.  Those figures would put Galax on par with Richlands, Marion, Union and other good sized 2A schools in SWVA.  For the record, Grayson County schools consolidated in 1988, taking the vast majority of the Baywood and Fairview kids with them.  Thus reducing Galax enrollment figures to what we are familiar with today.

I say all of that to say, Galax High School isn't running out of space anytime soon.  The elementary school is cramped but it is also in the midst of an $18 million renovation that will increase the usable space by significant margin.  And Galax keeps taking in all transfers Carroll, Grayson and North Carolina choose to send.

If I was a school AD, I would make dang sure the transferring student met ALL the VHSL requirements before he joined the team as a transfer athlete. Back in 1980, one school failed to follow the rules. The transfer student told his new Coach that his family was in the process of moving to the new school district.

The Coach ( who was new to the system )did not follow up if the new student's family did move........well guess what......they did not move, yep, the school in violation had to forfeit 10 games that season. This transfer was a third string player and only played in the games for about 3 minutes In each game. But the VHSL slapped the forfeits on without blinking an eye. No pun intended, but the transfer student only Had only one eye! That is the gospel truth  !!!!!!!!!

10 hours ago, Single A west said:

Haven't heard if anyone denied in Galax but it's a stipulation stated in the acceptance letter we receive every year. Kindergarten class 140 kids year before last .

The recent trend in county transfers is just that, very recent and hasn't proven to be sustained over time.  The school had 134 kindergartners enrolled for the 2014-2015 school year, that is true.  But the previous four classes had enrollment figures of 101 (1st grade), 99 (2nd grade), 90 (3rd grade) and 86 (4th grade) for the same 2014-2015 school year.  Those enrollment figures are a very new thing for Galax and grade level numbers they haven't experienced since prior to Grayson County consolidation.  

As a matter of fact, the following school year of 2015-2016 saw a kindergarten class enrollment of 108 while the 1st grade class size had fallen to 130.  The following school year just completed saw the kindergarten enrollment of 99, 1st grade enrollment down to 106 and 2nd grade (the same class of "140" you mentioned) down to 119.

Check it out for yourself.  http://www.doe.virginia.gov/statistics_reports/enrollment/fall_membership/report_data.shtml  

Without looking it up in detail here is my understanding of the transfer rule. As a student enters the ninth grade he can go to any school he wants and would be eligible to play no matter where he lives.   After he enters the ninth grade and decides to transfer, he must make a complete move to be eligible immediately. If he doesn't move he has to wait 365 days after  the transfer.   A complete move means the family must move out of their house and move into a house in the new jurisdiction.   The complete move has to be verified by both principles. Meaning the school he left verifies the complete move OUT of their residence and the new school principle verifies new residency. It looks like the VSHL has left this up to the principles of the schools so they don't have to deal with it. 

1 hour ago, mw0729 said:

Without looking it up in detail here is my understanding of the transfer rule. As a student enters the ninth grade he can go to any school he wants and would be eligible to play no matter where he lives.   After he enters the ninth grade and decides to transfer, he must make a complete move to be eligible immediately. If he doesn't move he has to wait 365 days after  the transfer.   A complete move means the family must move out of their house and move into a house in the new jurisdiction.   The complete move has to be verified by both principles. Meaning the school he left verifies the complete move OUT of their residence and the new school principle verifies new residency. It looks like the VSHL has left this up to the principles of the schools so they don't have to deal with it. 

"move"

1 hour ago, mw0729 said:

For some reason I sincerely doubt that happens...

With all that said it sounds like open season until high school years.  On another side note/question...does anybody know the updated current status of home school kids and high school sports?  I know the previous rule and the current governor's "wonderful" decision but had heard that there were advancements being made for allowances.  I know still have several years but one of the kids would love to play for the Dogs someday... 

RULES

1. A student can live anywhere and start their 9th grade year wherever they choose. However, that school then becomes their designated school..

2. If that student decides to return to the school where his or her physical residence is, they must still sit out one year, or receive special permission from the local school board and be granted a hardship waiver or other type of waiver.

3. If a student transfers to another school after attending 9th, 10th, 11th, or 12th at another school, A PHYSICAL ADDRESS CHANGE must take place or the student must sit out one year from the date of transfer. (Waivers can also be granted in this situation, but are rare)

4. If a student is attending a school and then has to attend another school due to their parents being separated , that student is eligible to participate at the new school. The separation needs to be a legal separation.

5. If a student who has switched schools due to a parental separation and then decides to switch back to live with the other parent, the VHSL will grant them eligiblity, based on the District filing a form and approving a ONE TIME transfer due to separation.

That pretty much sums it up in layman terms, 

Just now, GMan said:

Then send him to school at Tazewell...pretty simple. 

Never was for homeschooling but now wouldn't have it any other way.  I hear the stories about all the public schools, not just Tazewell.  Working in Smyth Co I get to hear all kinds of things.  There are reasons that would be good to let them go but this way they can focus on their strengths and weaknesses plus don;t have to deal with that common core crap or SOL.

10 minutes ago, bucfan64 said:

RULES

1. A student can live anywhere and start their 9th grade year wherever they choose. However, that school then becomes their designated school..

2. If that student decides to return to the school where his or her physical residence is, they must still sit out one year, or receive special permission from the local school board and be granted a hardship waiver or other type of waiver.

3. If a student transfers to another school after attending 9th, 10th, 11th, or 12th at another school, A PHYSICAL ADDRESS CHANGE must take place or the student must sit out one year from the date of transfer. (Waivers can also be granted in this situation, but are rare)

4. If a student is attending a school and then has to attend another school due to their parents being separated , that student is eligible to participate at the new school. The separation needs to be a legal separation.

5. If a student who has switched schools due to a parental separation and then decides to switch back to live with the other parent, the VHSL will grant them eligiblity, based on the District filing a form and approving a ONE TIME transfer due to separation.

That pretty much sums it up in layman terms, 

I'm not sure what constitutes a legal separation Virginia has no such status.  Do  the parents actually have to enter into some kind of custody arrangement or property settlement agreement to meet that requirement?

23 hours ago, stu_bean said:

I'm actually glad someone started this because I have a legit question as well and no I'm not trying to stir the pot worse lol!

I know of a situation where a family live in Bland Co but is taking their kids all the way to Max Meadows which I assume end up going to Ft Chiswell.  Anyway the family has not moved, setup any kind of residency, or even have relatives in Wythe Co.  Are there any guidelines?  Are the guidelines different for elementary vs high school?

I would love to see official statements from somewhere if such a thing exists.  Depending on the situation what's to keep people from just picking which school they want to go to in a given year?  The whole home school rule was overruled because he was afraid of recruitment of players.  I would love to see clarification just to settle all of it.

Eligibility does not start until a student enters the 9th grade. At that time, to the best of my knowledge, it does not matter where they live because that would be their eligibility address. However, I believe after their eligibility starts at that school, then,  if the student then decides to move to another school, he must live in that school district with his family. It's been awhile since I dealt with eligibility, some things may have changed. Residence used to be a big problem in Hampton, Newport News, Portsmouth, Norfolk. Lot of accusations of false addresses, eligibility, and the "R" word. If I'm wrong let me know.

On 8/25/2017 at 8:00 AM, mw0729 said:

Ummm... the principals ARE the VHSL.

I can't think of a football fft. situation in recent years where the kid didn't face his former school on the field. And when it seemed to be widely known that the kid might be ineligible, nothing was 'done' until after that game, when he competed against the team he should've been on.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2017 at 4:16 PM, 99Bama said:

What would a football season be without the transfer conversation? With that said, Greg Mance would be best person to answer your questions or concerns jarhead!! Lol...... 

Just kidding. Im sure there is a rule somewhere but I dont know it. 

Mance needs to give Bluefield College recruiting tips, lol. Their program is in need of some serious help. 

On 8/24/2017 at 3:47 PM, jarhead24219 said:

I have a honest question on transfers.When a student athlete transfers schools does he/she have to be with a family member that lives inside that school district?if so can they live in say, TAZEWELL and go to RICHLANDS ,as long as they stay inside the same school division?Iknow there are cases where children are placed inside non family homes due to court action, but as a general rule do they have to be with a family member

Court ordered custody transfer. No sure it's a family member required but most probably would. I do know for a fact that they have to set out 90 school days when a court ordered custody transfer is in place.