GC-Richlands, Graham-Bluefield, Gile-BBurg

TTownTigers

Well, the Gate just couldn't get it done.  We get out midway in 3rd and watched the Bluefield and Graham game on a laptop.  As for Gate City, our lineplay is better, but with our style of play, it has to be perfect and near turnover free, or we lose.  The decision to pass early in the game after running down the field was boneheaded, but it wouldn't have mattered.  Richlands was better, but Richlands is not as explosive as last year.  Richlands is solid and physical, but not quite as explosive as last year.  I just hope we can get back to our winning ways at GC.  It's going to take time and patience I guess.  It sickens me to see these losses, but I stand by my prediction.  I still think we are 7-3.  We still had flashes in the Richlands game and credit Richlands for whipping us, but the 27-6 score in my opinion was worse than the contest.  It felt more like a 21-6 type score or 20-6 type score, but no question, Richlands controlled it and they were in no position to "lose" the game at any point.  The Blues are going 8-2 though.  They are getting 2 losses at least this year.  Blacksburg is obviously the real deal and the state title run wasn't a fluke, it was just the start. Bluefield and Union and Graham will be nailbiters for Richlands.

As for Graham and Bluefield, I kind of echoed this in one thread about Graham and I will echo it again.  A major problem exists their with offensive coaching.  They just don't know what they are doing, period.  I would love for GC to have those athletes.  I noticed it at GC. Where are their hitches, their flanker screens, their bubble screens, and noticeable again when watching their second half against Bluefield.  Equally important, the Graham Head Coach is directly responsible for that loss.  I echoed this earlier in a thread that the difference would be the Coach of Bluefield besting the Coach of Graham,and it was noticeable at Legion Field when number 4 was not the starting QB and number 10 was.  Number 10 may be the best athlete or at least top 5 athletes in SWVA and if he were at flanker/WR, it would be noticeable. He is also the worst passing High School QB in SWVA.  He can't make reads and he can't make a ten yard throw, but he could certainly take one to the house if receiving a 10 yard in route.  Their is no way possible the Graham coaching staff could not have that many practices and see that number 4 is clearly the QB, and number 10 is the WR.  That decision (coaching) cost Graham the football game, and again, those little things like the taunting and discipline stuff, those little things always show in the form of lack of concentration with the fumble late on the goal line, but Graham looked better from the half I seen and it shouldn't have been that close if Graham had any offensive coaching.  The staff had to be either blind or just flat out crazy not to have 10 at WR/Flanker and 4 at QB after having 3 weeks of practice and scrimmages leading up until the Bluefield game  This tells me, the decision made by the coach are shaky, and it will show when the switch is made and the difference is seen in Graham's play this year.  When that happens, the Bluefield loss will really sting Graham fans because they know they surely gave the game away.  I still don't know if it would matter because it appears Graham doesn't know how to use it's athletes.  I predicted Bluefield by 3 at 24-21 and wasn't far off.  I apologize to Graham fans if my comments are offensive.  I am just calling it like I see it, but you have a major x's and o's coaching issue offensively, and it not only starts with the lack of getting your athletes the ball in space by using screens, but also by a major position change needed with 4 and 10 that was noticeable even at GC.

As for Giles and BBurg.  I think many will count Giles out because of this and that's a mistake.  I didn't listen to or see any of this game, but only the score updates on my cell at E. Hicks.  Giles handled a very good Bluefield team and they are the real deal and yes, they have the ability to handle Graham in regular season and Richlands, Union, Graham in the playoffs.  Not saying they will, but they are right their with Richlands, Union and Graham.  They ran into an absolutely nasty opponent that isn't the Blacksburg of 10 years ago with the 5-6 or 4-6 season.  Blacksburg is big up front, physical, and not just Beck at RB.  They have major loads of talent in front of Beck blocking for him and a coach that knows how to utilize speed in open space.  Blacksburg will likely repeat as state champion and this time, the record will be much better in regular season.  But at for Giles, never count this bunch out.  I would like to think GC could make a run in the playoffs, but we just aren't there yet on the level of Richlands, Union, and Graham, or Giles in SWVA.  

Great post. Giles was just way outmatched tonight. Blacksburg is dangerous in all phases of the game. They remind me of Appomattox last year. I feel like Salem is the only team on Blacksburg's schedule that will hang with or beat the Bruins but I would bet my money on Blacksburg is that match up. 

As for my Spartans, we still have some tough opponents in Graham and Glenvar. I don't how well we will be able to hold Graham's offense but I don't think they will be able to slow us down ether.

Offensive play-calling was suspect all night.  Throwing 40-yard bombs when prudence would have served them better in 2nd-and-mid situations.  Running draws and sweeps into traffic.  Barely got Taymon Cooke involved all night.  Not a stellar plan to beat a quality team.  

I don't think the loss in and of itself is a bad thing.  May serve to focus the team if they utilize it correctly.

2 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Great post. Giles was just way outmatched tonight. Blacksburg is dangerous in all phases of the game. They remind me of Appomattox last year. I feel like Salem is the only team on Blacksburg's schedule that will hang with or beat the Bruins but I would bet my money on Blacksburg is that match up. 

As for my Spartans, we still have some tough opponents in Graham and Glenvar. I don't how well we will be able to hold Graham's offense but I don't think they will be able to slow us down ether.

Graham's defense was stellar, really.  Vastly improved over years' past.

2 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Offensive play-calling was suspect all night.  Throwing 40-yard bombs when prudence would have served them better in 2nd-and-mid situations.  Running draws and sweeps into traffic.  Barely got Taymon Cooke involved all night.  Not a stellar plan to beat a quality team.  

I don't think the loss in and of itself is a bad thing.  May serve to focus the team if they utilize it correctly.

I only caught bits and pieces, but I believe there was around 10 minutes or so left in the game and instead of running it Graham started throwing those bombs and then it lead to the pick 6 on the screen. Really puzzled me 

6 minutes ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

I only caught bits and pieces, but I believe there was around 10 minutes or so left in the game and instead of running it Graham started throwing those bombs and then it lead to the pick 6 on the screen. Really puzzled me 

6 minutes ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

8 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

I couldn't believe the lack of screens with the speed Graham has.  Also, it was noticeable how number 10 knew in confidence he couldn't throw the ball.  He had several plays where he just tucked it an ran because he couldn't make the reads, and he didn't have the confidence to release the ball.  I would take a lineman, snap him the ball at QB, and have him throw the ball quickly to number 10 or number 5 on quick hitches or bubble screens nearly every play.  5 and 10 need to be catching and touching the ball with that speed with number 4 throwing the ball to them, and he's a pretty good athlete himself defensively by what I saw.  I think he could be a threat to tuck it run also.  

16 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Graham's defense was stellar, really.  Vastly improved over years' past.

I thought both Graham and Bluefield did a good job staying disciplined on defense. Very few big plays tonight. Graham did a better job of tackling. Bluefield's play calling wasn't the greatest either. On one 3 and out the three plays were fullback dive, qb sneak on 2nd and long, and another fullback dive on 3rd and long.

I was kind of happy it wasn't a 60-55 shootout.

I think our pass routes at GC are ok.  We are running some short routes and trying to get a short, quick, efficient passing game to support our run dominant offense, but I have to credit Richlands for the coverage.  Our kids tried, but they just literally don't have the footspeed to get open very well,  With that written, man oh man, the Dye kid from Richlands is freaking scary good.  He is just so strong and physical to handle one on one, and without doubling him or having some help, he's in the dam* backfield within a half of a second from the snap of the ball.  I believe this kid in his senior year is equally as good defensive as the Lowe kid last year.  Lowe was a big and fast and strong dude, but I'm telling you, the Dye kid is equally as good from what I saw.  He's a man among boys and Union, you better have a hoss on this guy because he looks even bigger and stronger than last year, and he even looks more explosive.  I can see him creating major problems for any team he faces, and as a matter of fact, just run the ball opposite of where that dude is.  He hand tackled one of our running backs in the first quarter with.....well, literally one hand, and our RB had a pretty good burst of steam up when Dye got the hand on him.  

3 minutes ago, BHS03 said:

I thought both Graham and Bluefield did a good job staying disciplined on defense. Very few big plays tonight. Graham did a better job of tackling. Bluefield's play calling wasn't the greatest either. On one 3 and out the three plays were fullback dive, qb sneak on 2nd and long, and another fullback dive on 3rd and long.

I was kind of happy it wasn't a 60-55 shootout.

I thought Bluefield looked pretty good defensively, but you could tell in the second half at least, that the Bluefield Coach was trying his best to kill clock with the run and limit Graham's possessions.  Graham simply has no down field passing game.  They can only try vertical side line routes and the kid at QB simply can't get the ball from point A to point B.  Also, Graham's coaching staff seems to realize his inaccuracy and they seemed to have little to know plays called in the passing game that utilizes the middle of the field out of fear of the inaccuracy of the QB.  Bluefield knew this.  They played run and a vertical-sideline passing defense, and that is exactly what Richlands and Giles will do.  If Graham makes the switch at QB, it completely opens up the middle of the field in the passing game not just 5 yards, but 15-20 yards off the ball and they became a dangerous offense and team.  There is just no way that any coach could set down, watch that tape (of the second half) and say to themselves, lets not give another kid a few reps at QB.  That's not a knock on number 10 either, because he is a dangerous, dangerous athlete that seems like he can house it, but to do that, he needs to house it with somebody else touching the ball first at the snap, and him touching the ball second.  It's incredible to me from watching them at GC and in the second half of the Bluefield game that their coach simply can't see that, or doesn't choose to see it, or whatever the case is.

2 minutes ago, nrv_football said:

Giles has good coaching I am sure they will get things clicking. Glimpses of a very good football team tonight just heavily out matched. 

I may make the trip up to Richlands when Blacksburg comes to down.  I want to see that one.  I would like to see the Union game, but my team needs a win first and want to see that happen before going anywhere else.  I am curious to know how the Green kid did for Giles tonight.  Did he catch any balls or make many tackles?  Also, I have to give a shout out to number 44 from Richlands.  That kid has a serious motor on him at linebacker and he brings a whopping load of anger when he hits the RB.  I was impressed with him, but also our linebackers looked pretty good also.  The score may not show it, but we laid some serious licks on Richlands tonight.

3 minutes ago, nrv_football said:

Giles has good coaching I am sure they will get things clicking. Glimpses of a very good football team tonight just heavily out matched. 

I've said it for years that Giles has an excellent coaching staff from 8th grade all the way up to varsity, and for once I didn't hear a fan blaming the coaches for anything which is unusual. Giles got put in positions to have a couple more scores, but Blacksburg's D really turned up the heat once we got on their side of the field. We got our butts kicked, but I'm not one bit disappointed in our effort tonight.

6 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Exactly

Do you believe in that team now? You wrote them off for the last few weeks as being posers and not as good as their hype. I think they backed it up. 

Losing Coffee potentially will hurt. He hurt his knee on the first drive of the game. Could be a tough blow. 

6 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

I may make the trip up to Richlands when Blacksburg comes to down.  I want to see that one.  I would like to see the Union game, but my team needs a win first and want to see that happen before going anywhere else.  I am curious to know how the Green kid did for Giles tonight.  Did he catch any balls or make many tackles?  Also, I have to give a shout out to number 44 from Richlands.  That kid has a serious motor on him at linebacker and he brings a whopping load of anger when he hits the RB.  I was impressed with him, but also our linebackers looked pretty good also.  The score may not show it, but we laid some serious licks on Richlands tonight.

Green didn't get any balls thrown to him. They kept him covered well on pass plays. I think he just needs to get more aggressive. I know it's coming, and when it does he is gonna be a big problem for opposing offenses and defenses.

Just now, SWVAgridiron said:

I've said it for years that Giles has an excellent coaching staff from 8th grade all the way up to varsity, and for once I didn't hear a fan blaming the coaches for anything which is unusual. Giles got put in positions to have a couple more scores, but Blacksburg's D really turned up the heat once we got on their side of the field. We got our butts kicked, but I'm not one bit disappointed in our effort tonight.

What do you Giles fans think of this years' Blacksburg team compared to last year's Richlands team, if you seen Richlands last year?  Richlands, like always, is very, very solid again and they are brutal up front, but they are just a notch down from what they were last year and I think Richlands fans would tell you that  They certainly have the young men that are talented and they will certainly be much better by season't end, but I just don't think they are as good as last years' team.  Do you think this year's Blacksburg team is as good or would match up with Richlands of last year?  I know it's hard to compare from a year apart, but I'm curious because I haven't seen BBurg this year, but have heard great things of course.

5 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Do you believe in that team now? You wrote them off for the last few weeks as being posers and not as good as their hype. I think they backed it up. 

Losing Coffee potentially will hurt. He hurt his knee on the first drive of the game. Could be a tough blow. 

Yea they are legit..very good...but throwing a bomb up 42-14 late...where is the class from their coach? Of well on to next week

Better team won no doubt...but 6 in a row it was their time to beat us....and boy they did

2 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

What do you Giles fans think of this years' Blacksburg team compared to last year's Richlands team, if you seen Richlands last year?  Richlands, like always, is very, very solid again and they are brutal up front, but they are just a notch down from what they were last year and I think Richlands fans would tell you that  They certainly have the young men that are talented and they will certainly be much better by season't end, but I just don't think they are as good as last years' team.  Do you think this year's Blacksburg team is as good or would match up with Richlands of last year?  I know it's hard to compare from a year apart, but I'm curious because I haven't seen BBurg this year, but have heard great things of course.

I think bburg offense is as good or better than Richlands or Appomattox of last year...this team has a hell of a lot of weapons and a very good QB to get them the ball

7 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

Luckily I was able to watch Richlands many times last season and the year before. 2015 Richlands would compete with this Blacksburg team but i would still take the Bruins by 1-2 touchdowns. Richlands of 2016 I feel would have been competitive in the 1st half but the Bruins would pull away from them in the 2nd.

7 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Yea they are legit..very good...but throwing a bomb up 42-14 late...where is the class from their coach? Of well on to next week

Better team won no doubt...but 6 in a row it was their time to beat us....and boy they did

Typical of a fan of a team that got blown out to cry "no class" 

7 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

6 minutes before they threw that ball it was 28-14. I'm not justifying it, just saying that the game was close there for a while until a 6 min stretch did Giles in. 

Blacksburg only outgained Giles by about 41 yards. Bidleman is legit and will beat a lot of teams by himself. 

Me an some of my friends rolled up to Richlands tonight do a lil scouting.   I have to say I seen one of the saddest thing I've had to watch in awhile.  As we were standing near the end zone the D&O line was warming up. Number 56 is hurt for richlands as he was watching his team warm up he just started crying his eyes out it was hard for us to watch.  We called him over said a prayer with him an tried to lighten him up it has to be hard going through that.  I hope everything goes well for the young man very good looking football player an seems to be a good kid.  

Just now, UniON_FoOtBaLL said:

Me an some of my friends rolled up to Richlands tonight do a lil scouting.   I have to say I seen one of the saddest thing I've had to watch in awhile.  As we were standing near the end zone the D&O line was warming up. Number 56 is hurt for richlands as he was watching his team warm up he just started crying his eyes out it was hard for us to watch.  We called him over said a prayer with him an tried to lighten him up it has to be hard going through that.  I hope everything goes well for the young man very good looking football player an seems to be a good kid.  

That right there is pretty classy Union Football.  No doubt about it, that's a class act thing to do brother.

1 minute ago, Ryan4VT said:

6 minutes before they threw that ball it was 28-14. I'm not justifying it, just saying that the game was close there for a while until a 6 min stretch did Giles in. 

Blacksburg only outgained Giles by about 41 yards. Bidleman is legit and will beat a lot of teams by himself. 

But it was 42-14 when the bomb was thrown...what's it matter what the score was earlier?

No big deal his team he can do what he wants