Glenvar

nrv_football

Glenvar whipped Galax at the point of contact. They are strong and physical with outstanding size across the board. I wouldn't discount them being a contender in 2A. 

Galax will not be the Galax of recent vintage. They are very small and lack depth. It may be a couple years before they recover. They will improve throughout the season but lack the amount of talent and depth they have been fortunate enough to have in recent years.

With that said, Galax has also lost some returning starters over the past week due to severe allergic reactions to the chemicals in the new turf. The biggest returning starter, a 6'-3", 230 pounder quit as a result.

Sort of weekend overview. Was at GW-Radford game, line play for both teams atrocious, I think fort will beat GW, fort d really good.  Covington has a lot of skill talent. Galax still one of best 4 teams in west in div 1. Radford will be really good next 2 years

Yeah our line didn't look to good but 2 of them have never played a down of varsity football.  They will improve alot as the season gets older. And we should still have plenty for fc but we will all see friday. And you've also got to look at our 4 TO'S those killed 2 scoring drives and penalties took three points off the board.

12 hours ago, sixcat said:

Glenvar whipped Galax at the point of contact. They are strong and physical with outstanding size across the board. I wouldn't discount them being a contender in 2A. 

Galax will not be the Galax of recent vintage. They are very small and lack depth. It may be a couple years before they recover. They will improve throughout the season but lack the amount of talent and depth they have been fortunate enough to have in recent years.

With that said, Galax has also lost some returning starters over the past week due to severe allergic reactions to the chemicals in the new turf. The biggest returning starter, a 6'-3", 230 pounder quit as a result.

Sixcat I had the same type of reaction to the turf at Mitchell. It broke me out bad when I played I hate that for the kids.

On 8/27/2017 at 10:13 AM, Single A west said:

Sort of weekend overview. Was at GW-Radford game, line play for both teams atrocious, I think fort will beat GW, fort d really good.  Covington has a lot of skill talent. Galax still one of best 4 teams in west in div 1. Radford will be really good next 2 years

That may very well come to fruition and it wouldn't be a first for a Dixon lead squad.  But those teams had Steven Peoples, Charles Harris, Daniel Edwards, Joseph Dixon, Zamir Echeagaray and Caleb Spurlin among others.  All of whom, have or are currently playing at the next level.  There isn't anyone remotely close to that on this team outside of Dougie and he can't do it by himself.  Check out the roster and pay close attention to the size of some of these kids.  Compare that to what Dixon has had to work with in years past and you will begin to see a noticeable difference.

http://www.mountainempiredistrictva.org/public/roster/detailpage/genie/292/school/5/agl/25/1/5/rschool/5

I see this as a building year for the freshmen and let them lead all of the talent in the future that currently resides in the middle school.  The best players on the team are Dougie, Keaton Beeman, Kolby Barnes and Cole Pickett, the latter three all being freshmen.  With that said, the two QB's on the roster had never played a down of varsity football until Friday night and the junior hasn't played football at all since middle school.  The third QB was a sophomore and last season's back-up.  He quit before the start of the season. 

6 hours ago, sixcat said:

That may very well come to fruition and it wouldn't be a first for a Dixon lead squad.  But those teams had Steven Peoples, Charles Harris, Daniel Edwards, Joseph Dixon, Zamir Echeagaray and Caleb Spurlin among others.  All of whom, have or are currently playing at the next level.  There isn't anyone remotely close to that on this team outside of Dougie and he can't do it by himself.  Check out the roster and pay close attention to the size of some of these kids.  Compare that to what Dixon has had to work with in years past and you will begin to see a noticeable difference.

http://www.mountainempiredistrictva.org/public/roster/detailpage/genie/292/school/5/agl/25/1/5/rschool/5

I see this as a building year for the freshmen and let them lead all of the talent in the future that currently resides in the middle school.  The best players on the team are Dougie, Keaton Beeman, Kolby Barnes and Cole Pickett, the latter three all being freshmen.  With that said, the two QB's on the roster had never played a down of varsity football until Friday night and the junior hasn't played football at all since middle school.  The third QB was a sophomore and last season's back-up.  He quit before the start of the season. 

I heard Steven Peoples is RB1 On VT's depth chart. 

15 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

McMillan is tailback and I believe peoples is starting fullback

False. There is no more FB in the new offense. The RB spot is listed as Peoples OR McMillian. That's the exact same way it was listed last year, but with Rogers instead of Peoples, and Rogers took the first handoff vs. Liberty last year. 

Fuente likes that Peoples is the best blocker of the group and has solid hands, things that TMac struggles with. 

7 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

False. There is no more FB in the new offense. The RB spot is listed as Peoples OR McMillian. That's the exact same way it was listed last year, but with Rogers instead of Peoples, and Rogers took the first handoff vs. Liberty last year. 

Fuente likes that Peoples is the best blocker of the group and has solid hands, things that TMac struggles with. 

I know that but everyone knows who the TB is and who the FB is no matter how it's listed...and whoever gets the first handoff isn't always the #1 back

3 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

I know that but everyone knows who the TB is and who the FB is no matter how it's listed...and whoever gets the first handoff isn't always the #1 back

Peoples has been working with the RB's since spring ball. He's a RB now. And we aren't going to have a "#1" back this year. Peoples, TMac, McClease and Holston are all going to touch the ball every game. Each brings a different skill set and that's what Fu wants in his backfield. The days of 1000 yard rushers is gone. It's now a committee. 

3 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Peoples has been working with the RB's since spring ball. He's a RB now. And we aren't going to have a "#1" back this year. Peoples, TMac, McClease and Holston are all going to touch the ball every game. Each brings a different skill set and that's what Fu wants in his backfield. The days of 1000 yard rushers is gone. It's now a committee. 

The days of 1000 yard rushers were gone when beamers OL couldn't block a little league team...hope it's better this year but I'll have to see it to believe it...hear same thing every year "OL will be better this year"...never is...QBs bail them out time after time

• 1 year later...
On 8/27/2017 at 9:43 AM, sixcat said:

This dude sixcat has no idea what he’s talking about everyone... do not believe his BS

21 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

He’s a well respected member here, and you joined 18 minutes ago to smear him.  Who to believe?  Hmmm...

He's one of the most respected posters here-always good insight and informative. Looks like we are starting to see a troll infestation 

44 minutes ago, Football25 said:

This dude sixcat has no idea what he’s talking about everyone... do not believe his BS

You’re quoting something from 2017. Glenvar whipped Galax last season but my guess is, you weren’t there!

3 hours ago, sixcat said:

You’re quoting something from 2017. Glenvar whipped Galax last season but my guess is, you weren’t there!

Dude drags up a post over a year old just to insult you. Definitely not worth your on anyone else's time. Pay him no mind.

1 hour ago, Union_Fan said:

Dude drags up a post over a year old just to insult you. Definitely not worth your on anyone else's time. Pay him no mind.

The sentiment from that post in 2017 still rings true. With Dixon’s leadership and strength and conditioning program, Galax has enough talent to win Region 1C four out of every five years. Especially with Region 1C being as weak as it’s been lately. Let’s examine how Galax has ended several seasons under Dixon. 

2012 - loss to Honaker

2013 - loss to Haysi

2014 - loss to Haysi

2016 - loss to Riverheads in state semis. 

2017 - loss to Chilhowie state semis

2018 - loss to Chilhowie state semis

Im not real popular around town because I’m very much a realist. Galax is the class of region 1C. But that doesn’t guarantee them a trip to Salem. It’s hard to get there, especially out of arguably the weakest region in Class 1. 

Galax’s success over the years is something to be proud of. But calling a spade a spade makes me a “hater”!

Reading your last post and not being from Galax I cannot tell if you are throwing off on Galax or complimenting them.  So I looked up some stats as it looks as though you listed how the seasons ended in every year except 3 since Dixon has been there. Two of those was state championship appearances, one they lost to Clintwood by 3 and the other they beat Riverheads. The rest I believe they was only blown out two of those games. 

I heard on a podcast this week that Galax has 3 of the top 5 single season rushing records in VHSL. The single game Touch down record as well as single game rushing record against a  Graham team. 

Not many schools can claim what they can. If that makes them a Spade, then I truly hope one day my school can be called a spade. 

36 minutes ago, Topper24 said:

Reading your last post and not being from Galax I cannot tell if you are throwing off on Galax or complimenting them.  So I looked up some stats as it looks as though you listed how the seasons ended in every year except 3 since Dixon has been there. Two of those was state championship appearances, one they lost to Clintwood by 3 and the other they beat Riverheads. The rest I believe they was only blown out two of those games. 

I heard on a podcast this week that Galax has 3 of the top 5 single season rushing records in VHSL. The single game Touch down record as well as single game rushing record against a  Graham team. 

Not many schools can claim what they can. If that makes them a Spade, then I truly hope one day my school can be called a spade. 

My intent was certainly not meant to throw off on Dixon or Galax. 

With great success comes great expectations. Sometimes that expectation gets carried away!

People need to realize around town, it’s not easy nor is it guaranteed for Galax to reach Salem. If it were easy, everyone would do it.