Abingdon @ Gate City

mw0729

It depends on if AHS can start this game the way they ended the last one. It could get ugly fast if AHS starts the same way they started against Battle. You know Reed really wants to win this one. All I know for sure about this game is how badly I hate that damned horn. Lol. If AHS has the means to pound the ball all game then it may be close. It appears passing is out of the question. The key for AHS is execution....which may sound fundamental, but the offense they run requires tremendous execution. What kind of offensive scheme does GC run?  

I've seen them mostly run their offense out of the wishbone.  It will be an interesting matchup.

Regarding "that damned horn," are you old enough to remember the cannonball back in the '70's?  It was a genuine train steam whistle, powered by hand fed coal.  It put the horns they use now to shame.  It was so loud that I could hear it on the other side of Clinch Mtn. where I lived.

I'm a touch partial, but trying to be honestly objective, I think Gate City wins the football game.  Gate City's losses in my opinion are Richlands, Union, and either Daniel Boone or Ridgeview {River Ridge :-)}.  I still think the Gate is a 7-3 football team.  Abingdon and Daniel Boone and Ridgeview will all be very, very close games.  I think Gate City gets 2 of these 3, and of course, Union like Richlands, will just be to much, but hopefully the rivalry part of that game can keep it close and maybe make something happen.

I don't think the Falcons have opened their playbook all the way yet.  They certainly can run the ball.  I would look for a more balanced attack this week.  I'm sure GC will load the box and try to force the Falcons to throw to beat them. 

AHS - 35

GCHS - 21

This week last year, GC was handled by Richlands and Abingdon beat down Battle. This year, both games were significantly closer. It would appear that Battle and GC have improved a lot. It also seems that Richlands and Abingdon aren't as explosive.

If GC avoids the turnovers they may eek out a victory. However, if frogs had wings...

Abingdon 42
GC 28

22 hours ago, TTownTigers said:

I'm a touch partial, but trying to be honestly objective, I think Gate City wins the football game.  Gate City's losses in my opinion are Richlands, Union, and either Daniel Boone or Ridgeview {River Ridge :-)}.  I still think the Gate is a 7-3 football team.  Abingdon and Daniel Boone and Ridgeview will all be very, very close games.  I think Gate City gets 2 of these 3, and of course, Union like Richlands, will just be to much, but hopefully the rivalry part of that game can keep it close and maybe make something happen.

I think the Marion game is a toss up

Agree.  Marion is much, much improved and I would also move that one in the toss up category.  But again, like Abingdon, Marion comes to Great City and that is worth 7-10 points for Gate City in my opinion, so for Marion or Abingdon to win, I think they need to be at least 7, maybe even 10 points better on a neutral field when playing in GC.  The thing is, Abingdon may very well be 7 points better or even 10 better than GC on a neutral field and Marion may be 3 points better on a neutral field.  

You can see from my biased opinion above, lots of wishful thinking but that's what fans do.  I just hope we get the W and think that the Richlands game suggested a very slight drop off from Richlands this year and improvement slightly on Gate City's part from last year.  Richlands is likely to be fantastic by seasons end as they are very young and with their Coach, well....this guy works wonders with his players and they seem to get better by seasons end just like the overwhelming percentage of teams get better by season's end, but Richlands seems to improve much more by season's end than most other teams.

Hmmm............I have only seen Vermillion play a few minutes in the benefit game with Graham. He threw one INT. Have not seen Mack play at all. Have seen Salle play about 6 quarters (2 in the benefit game), and throw 6 INTs.

Guess it depends on what Akers' plans are going forward this year. If we are going to run the ball 95% of the time and just mix in the occasional short pass or screen, might want to go with your best runner. Would give us another threat in the backfield that the D will have to account for. If we are going to run the ball 70% - 80% of the time, we prob need our best passer at QB. Might keep the D from putting everyone in the box and help our line open up some running lanes. If we run the ball less than 70% of the time, does not matter who you have back there. We are already way behind.

Seriously........any success we have this year will depend on ball control offense and lack of turnovers. If we are going to try and throw the ball several times a game, we have got to work on some high percentage pass plays. We can't afford to turn the ball over. Can't have 2 INTs inside the opponent's 10 yard line like we did against Richlands. Got to either make the completion, or throw the ball away.

Also think our kick coverage team needs some work. I know we try to put a few players on that team who may not get in the game otherwise, but we are going to need to improve the talent on that squad. That unit is going to cost us a game or two.

I know the Mountain is going to be interesting this season(like last), lots of parody but it seems like SWVA AA + Abingdon in general is gonna be tight. Richlands, Union and Graham are the top picks but the other teams are all about the same.  Tazewell may be lagging behind but in a round robin type setup with Central, GC, Lee, Battle, VA, Marion, Ridgeview, Lebanon and Abingdon(hope I didn't miss anyone) every team gets a win and no one goes undefeated imo.   Good competition

I would like to see Vermillion get a shot.  None of the three are going to drop back and throw for 300 yards in a game.  Our offense is simply not there from the QB position to the WR position.  It's obvious that a run oriented attack is our only option; therefore, I truly don't think it matters much who is our QB because the outcome is going to be close to the same. Like one poster said, we are probably better off with our best runner at QB with our offensive type, the weapons we have or don't have, and basing it on all 3 QB's ability to throw it.

On 8/29/2017 at 11:35 AM, mw0729 said:

What do you think Gate City Fans?

Who would be your starting quarterback this week? #4, #10, or #15.  ??????

# 10 mac is by far the fastest and more illusive runner ,don't know about his passing ability. One of the best receives i have ever saw was Rodney Mac in the a alumni game. 

On 8/29/2017 at 3:27 PM, TTownTigers said:

I would like to see Vermillion get a shot.  None of the three are going to drop back and throw for 300 yards in a game.  Our offense is simply not there from the QB position to the WR position.  It's obvious that a run oriented attack is our only option; therefore, I truly don't think it matters much who is our QB because the outcome is going to be close to the same. Like one poster said, we are probably better off with our best runner at QB with our offensive type, the weapons we have or don't have, and basing it on all 3 QB's ability to throw it.

You obviously wasn't at Richlands. Without the pass we would of had less than 40 yards offense. It's time to ditch the stupid wishbone and go with the spread. We finally wised up in doing so last season. But I feel like it's gonna take Akers way to long to realize the bone isn't working. The fall of Akers is that he has his mind made up in July what he is going to do in Week 5. It's time to go shotgun and give Sallee some room to do stuff. Sallee struggles in the speed catagory, so those extra 3 steps he gets right off the bat will help him not force any passes. The wishbone is just a cluster you know what. We are not fast enough to get it quickly to the hole. 

I would personally start Culbertson at QB, the kid has QB his entire life. He is quick, smart, and a great arm. I'm not sure why he's not even a QB option to Akers. On to GC/Abingdon: at least we don't have to worry about the pass. But we can't and don't want to tackle. I say Abingdon racks up 500 rushing yards tomorrow. And until we have Calhoun to offset what Cregor does with the football, we have too much luck running the ball. As of now, Cregor is our only rushing threat. Calhoun might not be back for awhile  

Abingdon 35

Gate City 6

On 8/29/2017 at 11:35 AM, mw0729 said:

What do you think Gate City Fans?

Who would be your starting quarterback this week? #4, #10, or #15.  ??????

12. I said it since he was a freshman that he should replace Collier. Though he would've been a 1 year QB, I want win now not later. 

17 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

You obviously wasn't at Richlands. Without the pass we would of had less than 40 yards offense. It's time to ditch the stupid wishbone and go with the spread. We finally wised up in doing so last season. But I feel like it's gonna take Akers way to long to realize the bone isn't working. The fall of Akers is that he has his mind made up in July what he is going to do in Week 5. It's time to go shotgun and give Sallee some room to do stuff. Sallee struggles in the speed catagory, so those extra 3 steps he gets right off the bat will help him not force any passes. The wishbone is just a cluster you know what. We are not fast enough to get it quickly to the hole. 

I would personally start Culbertson at QB, the kid has QB his entire life. He is quick, smart, and a great arm. I'm not sure why he's not even a QB option to Akers. On to GC/Abingdon: at least we don't have to worry about the pass. But we can't and don't want to tackle. I say Abingdon racks up 500 rushing yards tomorrow. And until we have Calhoun to offset what Cregor does with the football, we have too much luck running the ball. As of now, Cregor is our only rushing threat. Calhoun might not be back for awhile  

Abingdon 35

Gate City 6

I question if you were at Richlands my friend.  I suspect you have been watching football long enough to know that the Richlands Offensive Line and Running Backs compared to Abingdon's OL and RB's are not in the same league.  No offense to Abingdon as the Falcons have had some recent solid seasons, but there's a huge difference in tackling a Richlands RB that is bringing some crazy leg strength and a mammoth strong offensive lineman in front of him.  Our tackling needs to be better, there is no question about it, but 35-6 Abingdon?  Come on man.  I understand you are frustrated and I am frustrated and mad as heck, but 35-6 Abingdon playing at our place?  I truly don't think you mean that.  I say we beat Abingdon.  By the way, we are NOT going to pass the ball on teams and win.  Richlands had 8 in the box and walked up 1 in the box several times begging us to throw.  Our passing was more a product of catching them in pure-run defenses and not a product of our efficiency because we simply do not have the WR's do get open in space.  They are good kids and work hard, but they are simply not going to blow by the defender and have 7 yards of separation.  I also agree the wishbone is crap.  Run the ball out of the spread formation or power eye, but the wishbone is a delay type of running game allowing the linebackers to tee off on our backs.  We need quick hitting off tackle runs with a blocker in front that utilizes the strength and size of our backs.  Our backs, even if in the right situation and a team fooled on the wishbone by the QB optioning the ball to one of our running backs around the end and having what looks like a lot of open space still equates to not huge yardage because our backs are not going to pull away from people with speed.  I think the wishbone should be done and over with and as for QB, again, I don't care much who it is because I have seen all three this season and 2 of them at younger ages and they are good kids, but they just ain't throwing for 300 yards.  We need Mac to play QB!  I watched him years ago as a freshman play around in practice and throw the ball 50 yards on a rope, and that was as a 9th grader.  I can't imagine what this kid could do in 12th grade.  Oh well.

I've watched Abingdon on film. Way more impressive than Richlands. They're going to run it right at us. They get great surge off the line of scrimmage with huge chunks of yardage each play. Darren Reed is playing old school Gate City Football at Abingdon this season. Watching the offensively I'm like "man that reminds me of the Gate City of old". I hate to say it, Abingdon is gonna beat us at our own game tomorrow. 

And as far as the Richlands games goes, if not for the pass we wouldn't of had those shots in the redzone we had. We don't have a true running back, we won't be successful without one. Spread teams out of the box and give Sallee a couple more seconds and then it opens up the run a little bit. Without a fast true RB we are not going to be able to do the quick hitters. We don't have a Joe Vaughn or Tyler Parks in the backfield.