Abingdon @ Gate City

mw0729

9 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

I've watched Abingdon on film. Way more impressive than Richlands. They're going to run it right at us. They get great surge off the line of scrimmage with huge chunks of yardage each play. Darren Reed is playing old school Gate City Football at Abingdon this season. Watching the offensively I'm like "man that reminds me of the Gate City of old". I hate to say it, Abingdon is gonna beat us at our own game tomorrow. 

And as far as the Richlands games goes, if not for the pass we wouldn't of had those shots in the redzone we had. We don't have a true running back, we won't be successful without one. Spread teams out of the box and give Sallee a couple more seconds and then it opens up the run a little bit. Without a fast true RB we are not going to be able to do the quick hitters. We don't have a Joe Vaughn or Tyler Parks in the backfield. 

I am a bit deflated.  I was under the impression Abingdon was not supposed to be as good this year and thought we had a win here.  I haven't seen Abingdon, but trust what you are saying.  Time for me to crack open a fifth of Jack Daniels now.  If we start out 0-2, well....oh well.  Will Reed be willing to come back home?  I'm sick and tired of this bullsh**.   I'm sorry by the way, but I like Houseright.  I don't care what some of you fans say, the guy could coach.  He could flat out coach in my opinion and bye God, at least we could block and tackle and fire off the ball and smack the he&& out of people. I have not seen it since he left and I'm about tired of it.

22 minutes ago, Olebluedev said:

Please Coach Larry stay home this Friday. Watch it on HUDL instead.

Sorry that the truth hurts. I'm always there thick and thin. I just call it how I see it. I want them to win more than anybody and it kills me on the inside to see our program in such a low state. But I'm not going to sit here and sugarcoat it. We can still go 7-3, but the coaches are going to have to get on the same page, and our 15 players that touch the field are going to have to get a little fire. I'm not satisfied with a 27-6 loss to Richlands like some are. It's up to our upperclassmen to raise our young guys up and pat em on the tail and get after them next play. Young guys like Sallee are gonna make mistakes due to inexperience, I can swallow that. But when we have players running into each other, every other play in the backfield, offensive linemen leaning backwards when they are pulling (As a lineman myself - IT OBVIOUS AS S***!), and having to burn TO's right after a kickoff, and not knowing what down it is and trying to trick the refs into believing we stopped them on downs, that's not Gate City Football! Akers is going to have to be more open to what his players tell him they are seeing out there and trust them when making plays calls instead of just going down a list of plays and guessing. He's also going to have to be more open to his coaches opinions and trust what they see. That's why he had to hire all new coaches anyways. Yes he is the head coach, but why have assistants if you don't take what they say into consideration? And Coach Larry? I like it! It has a good ring to it. Hate me if you want brother, I wanna win! 

1 hour ago, TTownTigers said:

I am a bit deflated.  I was under the impression Abingdon was not supposed to be as good this year and thought we had a win here.  I haven't seen Abingdon, but trust what you are saying.  Time for me to crack open a fifth of Jack Daniels now.  If we start out 0-2, well....oh well.  Will Reed be willing to come back home?  I'm sick and tired of this bullsh**.   I'm sorry by the way, but I like Houseright.  I don't care what some of you fans say, the guy could coach.  He could flat out coach in my opinion and bye God, at least we could block and tackle and fire off the ball and smack the he&& out of people. I have not seen it since he left and I'm about tired of it.

Houseright lost it at the end. But other than that, you're making sense now. 

I know why you want them to win most importantly. What coaches on the same page? If your talking about the high school you are looking the wrong direction. Coach Larry was not a compliment, it was simply implying all I read from you is negative currently. They ( the team) reads this forum and as former player yourself I'm sure the week in and week out bashing of how bad this bad that wouldn't have encouraged you to put some intensity into Friday games let alone practice. We all want to win hell who doesn't it's nature. Encouragement is the first step to success

Me personally I thought we showed up and wanted to compete, but made the little mistakes that can cost you or take you out of contention. Clean that up and keep improving on what we did good we'll be fine. Sit back and ring your bell when needed

So no comment other than a SA one? I wanna talk football. I talk football and what I see what I think we can be successful with and I get called out for being negative. I picked GC to win last week. I thought we had a great chance to upset Richlands. We lost our horse to an ankle injury which hurt then we had some self inflicted wounds that may have costed us the game last week. Just like the Graham game. We came out with some fire, moving the ball then turned it over. Once we turned the ball over the wind was sucked out of us. We gotta get over the turnovers, it happens so be it. We also need to limit those and make it hurt with the momentum we have established. We need to keep our intensity up and play GC football. But with the injuries we have and the chunks of rushing yards we gave up to a lack luster Richlands offense last week. We may be giving up more this week. Abingdon can run the rock and have 3-4 kids who can do it. If we don't wrap up it'll be a long night, especially if we can't find the endzone. That's just my opinion and my prediction. I really hope we come out, punch them in the mouth, take the ball down the field, and put 6 up on the board. But we are going to have fixed a lot of things in 4 days to stop a Abingdon and put points on the board. Oh yeah, and depth  will continue to kill us. But we can save that argument for a different day if you wish.

And at least I go to games as a former player. I know some past Devils that won't go to the games because "it's not the same anymore". I'm there when the gates open, I take off work to go, and I do my part to support. But my opinion on the game that week is just that - MINE!

QUOTE: "He's also going to have to be more open to his coaches opinions and trust what they see. That's why he had to hire all new coaches anyways."

exactly why they all left. Just sayn!

Regarding GC's offense, I don't think they have enough speed to run the spread effectively.  I have seen them scrimmage Volunteer and Graham.  They ran the ball fine in those scrimmages.  But I agree, i bet Richlands is in a different category strength and size wise.  Although I didn't see the Richlands game.  I can't imagine Abingdon would blow us out this year at home.  Beat us, yes, I could see that, but blowout, I don't think so. If that happened, it would be a case of us getting down early, not showing any heart, and just giving up.  Question: I think I read or heard we only had about 40 yds. rushing against Richlands.  Does that include the negative yds. from sacks on the QB, or is that strictly from designed runs?  I think the wishbone suits our personnel fairly well, and getting Calhoun back will help alot.  I would like to see some quick passes over the middle mixed in.  Did we try those Friday?  Finally, TTown, I don't think Mack is as old as you think he is.  He's only a sophomore.

4 minutes ago, mw0729 said:

How long is Calhoun out?

I don't know.  My wording of Calhoun being out was not the best in that I hope I didn't give the impression that he will be back against Abingdon.  I was just saying that whenever he comes back, that would help the wishbone offense alot.

5 hours ago, Olebluedev said:

I know why you want them to win most importantly. What coaches on the same page? If your talking about the high school you are looking the wrong direction. Coach Larry was not a compliment, it was simply implying all I read from you is negative currently. They ( the team) reads this forum and as former player yourself I'm sure the week in and week out bashing of how bad this bad that wouldn't have encouraged you to put some intensity into Friday games let alone practice. We all want to win hell who doesn't it's nature. Encouragement is the first step to success

Players should not be reading this forum. The good things said make them overconfident and the bad things make them too hard on themselves. No good comes from HS players reading a forum about the local teams aside from scouting other teams, but Hudl is a much better asset in that regard. 

I just can't believe that some fans want a coach fired after one game. The main reason for the demise of Blue Devil Football is that for the past 5 or 6 seasons is defense, Gate City cannot gets others teams offense off the field. Offensively we have been adequate to above average. Until the defense is fixed nothing else is going to matter. Houseright was supposed to be the all-time whiz an D but it got progressively worse year after year, and no Darren Reed does not need to come home, unless you like seeing Will Muschamp impersonations. Reed will not last to many more years at Abingdon without Nick being there as his safety blanket, remember Wise Central,. Football is cyclical and GC is on a down swing but it will be back. Ask our friends at Lee High how changing coaches every fifteen minutes works out? Elements of the Gate City fan base are eerily similar to a fanbase 100 miles to the southwest in Knoxville.   

I think if we GC fans take off our blue tinted glasses, step back, and look at our football program...........our main issue becomes fairly clear. We have not put very talented teams on the field the last few years. Yes..........we have had some talented players. No doubt about that. I am talking about total team talent. That has resulted with too many kids having to play both ways, and the offense and defense wearing down as the game progresses. With a lack of total team talent, the importance of remaining injury free has been magnified.

That talent may be walking the halls at GC. If so, we need to get it on the team.

2000  12-01-0  Nick Colobro
2001  10-03-0  Nick Colobro
2002  12-01-0  Nick Colobro
2003  14-00-0  Nick Colobro
2004  10-02-0  Nick Colobro
2005  08-03-0  Nick Colobro
2006  04-06-0  Nick Colobro
2007  10-04-0  Nick Colobro
2008  09-03-0  Nick Colobro
2009  10-02-0  Bill Houseright

2010  12-02-0  Bill Houseright
2011  06-05-0  Bill Houseright
2012  02-08-0  Bill Houseright
2013  08-05-0  Bill Houseright
2014  10-03-0  Bill Houseright
2015  03-07-0  Bill Houseright
2016  05-06-0  Chris Akers

585-265-15  .685

I know a S#IT load of schools that would be more than happy to have this type of record over the last 16 seasons and total for the history of the school.  Playing for 3 state titles and winning 2 in that time span, and y'all screaming win now, the coach doesn't know what he's doing or he doesn't listen to the other coaches (y'all said the same thing about Houseright), acting like Houseright was the second coming of Fry, they forced him out. Come on give me a break bunch of spoiled winners (and whiners).  Yes losing sucks especially if you're not used to it, but I see no 0-10 seasons.  A few "down" years are bound to happen at some point.  Maybe, just maybe it's just the well starting to dry up talent wise and has little to do with the coaching?

2 hours ago, Great City said:

I think if we GC fans take off our blue tinted glasses, step back, and look at our football program...........our main issue becomes fairly clear. We have not put very talented teams on the field the last few years. Yes..........we have had some talented players. No doubt about that. I am talking about total team talent. That has resulted with too many kids having to play both ways, and the offense and defense wearing down as the game progresses. With a lack of total team talent, the importance of remaining injury free has been magnified.

That talent may be walking the halls at GC. If so, we need to get it on the team.

Also the size hasn't been there on the lines like the teams that in the past that would intimidate you by looking like college linemen. Like all small schools (and all the schools in this region are small in comparison to upstate) the Devils are in a down cycle. There's way too much pride and tradition for it to stay bad folks.

Like I stated before football is cyclical, from 1974 to 1993 was a long drought between state titles for the Men in Blue, it seems like people want New England and Alabama like dynasties at every school. I know everyone wants to win but they are only so many championship trophies handed out every year and there are more losers than winners. Losing does suck but figuring out why and how to fix it takes a while sometimes, it also may be a time for humility and reflection. What if it gets worse before it gets better. 

45 minutes ago, Chappy said:

2000  12-01-0  Nick Colobro
2001  10-03-0  Nick Colobro
2002  12-01-0  Nick Colobro
2003  14-00-0  Nick Colobro
2004  10-02-0  Nick Colobro
2005  08-03-0  Nick Colobro
2006  04-06-0  Nick Colobro
2007  10-04-0  Nick Colobro
2008  09-03-0  Nick Colobro
2009  10-02-0  Bill Houseright

2010  12-02-0  Bill Houseright
2011  06-05-0  Bill Houseright
2012  02-08-0  Bill Houseright
2013  08-05-0  Bill Houseright
2014  10-03-0  Bill Houseright
2015  03-07-0  Bill Houseright
2016  05-06-0  Chris Akers

585-265-15  .685

I know a S#IT load of schools that would be more than happy to have this type of record over the last 16 seasons and total for the history of the school.  Playing for 3 state titles and winning 2 in that time span, and y'all screaming win now, the coach doesn't know what he's doing or he doesn't listen to the other coaches (y'all said the same thing about Houseright), acting like Houseright was the second coming of Fry, they forced him out. Come on give me a break bunch of spoiled winners (and whiners).  Yes losing sucks especially if you're not used to it, but I see no 0-10 seasons.  A few "down" years are bound to happen at some point.  Maybe, just maybe it's just the well starting to dry up talent wise and has little to do with the coaching?

You are absolutely correct.  Gate City fans are spoiled.  In all sports.  I am one of them.  The expectations are very high each season.  Regarding football, Coach Fry set the bar very high.  You either stay up there, or go down.  The athletes are there, it's just that many of the premier ones choose to play other sports and not football.  Kids play the sports that are most appealing to them. Instead of playing 2 or 3 sports, many kids are just playing 1 or 2, with football being the sport not played. I am not declaring that football is no longer king at Gate City, but it's not as lopsided as it used to be.  It does run in cycles though, and most likely it will cycle back up in the future.

Just back and no question, it just wasn't close.  So much for 7-3 Gate City and a win over Abingdon.  Man, I think my wishful thinking is clouding my judgement these days.  We have a ways to go before we are good again.  Congrats to Coach Reed and Abingdon.  I am not one that believes you can be good for 50 + years due to only great talent, and then magically lose that talent in the last 4-5 years.  Sure, there are ups and downs in talent from here to there season by season, but as a whole, over the long run, talent is somewhat similar which points out the obvious.  The obvious was/is ...coaching matters.  Harry Fry was a legend.  Just simply the best.  Colobro was very good.  Coaching makes a huge difference at the High School level and it matters.  When people say, "it's tough to replace a legend."  What they are really saying is......."you had an excellent coach and the odds of getting two excellent coaches in a row are slim, and the odds are you will not get one as good as you just had, so your program is going to fall off some."  Essentially, is that not what they are saying?  Of course it is.  You know what else, it's true usually.  I am not saying Coach Akers is a bad coach either because there again, are ups and downs in talent and we certainly don't look that talented out there, but sooner or later, it will turn around if Coach Akers is a solid coach, but it just ain't happening this year.  Maybe next year.