Union and Richlands

trumpet1988

Listening to the Union/Burton game,  Mitchell was mainly used in punt returns (not sure if this will be the case Friday night or not).  He had 3 or 4 passes thrown to him.   One thing the Burton DB's did, which the Richlands  DB's weren't very successful doing against GC,  they played the ball and not Mitchell.   With his height, he is going to win the battle if you don't do this. 

I was impressed with Zirkle's runs.  He was the workhorse between the lines in the Burton game, but Owens carried it in for 3 scores. 

The Blues can't come out flat in the 1Q which seemed to be the case against Grundy and GC.  Maybe Coach Mance needs the bus to pull up to Bullit Park, (like the Bears did at Burton) just giving the kids time enough to stretch and not get caught up in the hype of the atmosphere. 

I really think the Blues have a good chance to walk away with the W.

I can never underestimate Coach Mance, his staff and their game plan. 

Going with MY BLUES IN A CLOSE ONE.  

2 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Hate to be a Debby Downer, but weather is not looking good for Friday. Hope that changes!!

With tropical systems, you never know. Both teams are kind of finesse teams who depend on the passing game, it may be good to see a game slogged out in the muddy confines of Bullitt Park just like the old school PV/Appy games. I have no clue who to pick and I literally flipped a coin and it came up Richlands....So Richlands 30 Union 27.

The diehard Blues fan in me hates to admit this, but I think this is the year when it doesn't come down to the last play. Richlands still has a ton of holes to fill in the secondary and passing game and the Bears are already tuned up and ready -- not to mention they have a great 12th man at Bullitt Park and undeniably the best player this side of Roanoke.

Union 35

Richlands 21

Postscript: This score could be quite different if:

1. Harvey arrives on Thursday or Friday 

2. These teams meet again in November/December

I agree...Mance has to fix that secondary or it's going to be a long night for the blues! Union knows they probably aren't going to be able to run with the front Richlands has on D so that's when you use the best player this side of va which is Mitchell 6.4ht 220lbs I think. Could be wrong but he's very athletic and I don't think Richlands has a player that can defend him all night. Mance can't play # 1 & 5 both ways all game without them getting tired but where is that #13 for Richlands he showed good speed!

Can we say wildcat? no its not Mitchell running it, its the kid who ran everywhere against norton as the second string QB.That kid can motor, kinda looks like the qb from CLEMSON, no i dont know anything but just threw it out there.If its dry ,we will throw ,if its wet we will throw, but much shorter. I would expect Mance to blitz almost every down and hope to get to TURNER before he can get the ball to MITCHELL. Bring your rain coats it should be  a good one

mitchell is now 235 and mustle

48 minutes ago, BlackWolf5 said:

I agree...Mance has to fix that secondary or it's going to be a long night for the blues! Union knows they probably aren't going to be able to run with the front Richlands has on D so that's when you use the best player this side of va which is Mitchell 6.4ht 220lbs I think. Could be wrong but he's very athletic and I don't think Richlands has a player that can defend him all night. Mance can't play # 1 & 5 both ways all game without them getting tired but where is that #13 for Richlands he showed good speed!

Don't know about Harvey but a Tornado is definitely in the forecast for Friday. Strap on your helmet and tighten everything else its going to be a hard hitting game as usual. Passing edge goes to Union with the beast Mitchell at WR while the defensive edge goes to the Richlands front. Secondary play was a concern after the game vs GC so look for mance to have those guys working double time this week.

Richlands has a good front on defensedon't get me wrong.  IMO Union has the edge on the front on D with the best D tackle I've seen in a long time.  they are big an nasty but who knows we will see but I think the defense front line an line backers is seriously scary.   

last year i spoke about the fullhouse as being the difference, it was, and i dont see MANCE letting UNION run at will again. I would think that he will make UNION and MITCHELL beat him with the pass. HARVEY coming in will only help that plan to limit the downfield throws.On the RICHLANDS side i see the QB run as the biggest challenge to our "D" and a few screens to the backs to slow down the rush.So far no one has been able to run on UNION and I think MANCE will know that.Its going to be sloppy, whoever turns the ball over the most---looses

9 hours ago, Tigers_07 said:

this will be the biggest match-up to begin the month of September. be nice if we had our version of college gameday, "SWVA GAMEDAY'', at Bullitt Park. that being said, im gonna go with Richlands in this contest by a FG. 24-21. 

I can picture it now... Ryan, GMan, UVAO and whoever else... with Thomas Jones as the SWVA celebrity picker and UVAO playing the part of Corso and putting on the Union bear head as the show comes to an end... MAKE IT HAPPEN!  :D

27 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I can picture it now... Ryan, GMan, UVAO and whoever else... with Thomas Jones as the SWVA celebrity picker and UVAO playing the part of Corso and putting on the Union bear head as the show comes to an end... MAKE IT HAPPEN!  :D

With Facebook Live it can happen, but with the anonymity of the board will people want all the other people to see them and put names with faces.  

My gut tells me that this game is not added to the list of classic games between these two. I'm thinking Union by 14.

Not sure why you Richlands guys are talking about needing to greatly improve your secondary. Against GC I only remember one time where we had a guy get wide open behind the secondary.....we overthrew him. We had a WR make two great catches in the secondary that got us some yardage. Coverage was not bad at all. Heck....you guys had three INTs in the game. Two inside your 10-yard line that may have stopped scores, and one that was returned for a TD. That translates to 30 regular season interceptions with 10 of them being returned for TDs. How many teams would not take that? :)

41 minutes ago, SXSW said:

With Facebook Live it can happen, but with the anonymity of the board will people want all the other people to see them and put names with faces.  

I've pretty much invited the world to see my face at this point haha. A simple twitter search of my screen name is all it takes. 

Along similar lines, i would like to make a comment about nearly all of the Richlands' fans' comments on the Richlands/GC game last week.  It seems the consensus amongst the Blues faithful is that they played pretty badly, the secondary was not good, and they kept their offense vanilla so as not to show anything to Union.  I wasn't at the game, so I can't comment whether any of that is true or not (all 3 could very well be true).  Having said that, wouldn't it be proper as a fan to give your opponent just a little bit of credit?  I'm not soliciting for compliments by no means.  But don't you know that some GC fans are lamenting the fact of how badly we played, with the INTs in the red zone and all?

1 minute ago, GC HOKE said:

Along similar lines, i would like to make a comment about nearly all of the Richlands' fans' comments on the Richlands/GC game last week.  It seems the consensus amongst the Blues faithful is that they played pretty badly, the secondary was not good, and they kept their offense vanilla so as not to show anything to Union.  I wasn't at the game, so I can't comment whether any of that is true or not (all 3 could very well be true).  Having said that, wouldn't it be proper as a fan to give your opponent just a little bit of credit?  I'm not soliciting for compliments by no means.  But don't you know that some GC fans are lamenting the fact of how badly we played, with the INTs in the red zone and all?

We as fan bases seem to base things on recent history. Richlands the last four plus years has been superior to Gate City in talent so Richlands expectations are higher based on the recent history. I did not see the game but did listen to it on WGTH and Ben was complimentary of the way GC played. This is a message board and games have winners and losers and the winner, as in real life, gets to control the narrative. All that being said Richlands won and I am glad that GC has improved to the point to where the game wasn't just another scrimmage for Richlands before their game with Union. I wish the game was later in the season, but it seems to work out well for both teams. I respect the Richlands fans on here but to come looking for compliments on a message board is naïve, Gate City has to start beating people again and then the compliments or hate will come pouring in.

3 minutes ago, SXSW said:

We as fan bases seem to base things on recent history. Richlands the last four plus years has been superior to Gate City in talent so Richlands expectations are higher based on the recent history. I did not see the game but did listen to it on WGTH and Ben was complimentary of the way GC played. This is a message board and games have winners and losers and the winner, as in real life, gets to control the narrative. All that being said Richlands won and I am glad that GC has improved to the point to where the game wasn't just another scrimmage for Richlands before their game with Union. I wish the game was later in the season, but it seems to work out well for both teams. I respect the Richlands fans on here but to come looking for compliments on a message board is naïve, Gate City has to start beating people again and then the compliments or hate will come pouring in.

I agree with 99% of your post, but did you not believe me when I said I was not trying to solicit compliments?  That was not the purpose of my post at all.  I agree Richlands has been dominant the last 4 years or so.  Their program is amazing.  But I just feel that fans can show some objectivity by giving an acknowledgement that the other team did some goods things too, not simply that my team screwed up in some instances.  Richlands fans, I'm not picking on you, and I meant no disrespect.  We are the same way.  I do know what "fan" is short for.

All I can do is speak for myself,  but when I talked about the upcoming game against Union and /or looked back on the GC game,  I mean no disrespect to the GC fans or team,  I am simply looking at what my team needs to do to get better to be able beat a team like Union with receivers like they have.

Richlands needs to get better at coverage.  They are already pretty good against the run, ( of course they can get better at that also it's still VERY early )  and  again I mean no disresect to the GC team,  but the skill level ( this year )  at WR is not at the level that Union has,  and if the Blues expect to beat a team like Union,Graham, Bburg then the coverage has to be better.  One blown coverage is a TD against a team like we are about to play and a couple of times the DB's seemed to be a little lost,  but it was the 1st game and it will get better.  This year the Blues do not have as big a margin for error as some of our teams in the past so I think that is why you see at least some of these comments from us.

We have always respected the GC program and have stated it many times on here,  but I know how the Devils fans feel when you feel like the other team is not giving your team any respect.  But trust me,  we do have a lot of respect for your program !

30 minutes ago, GC HOKE said:

As a Richlands fan, I wasn't upset with the caliber of play by the Blue Tornado.  They stuffed the Gate City running game, and both major drives by Gate City were sustained by long passes on 3rd and forever ... passes on which the defensive backs either had position to make a play or the ball just happened to be placed in the perfect spot.  Credit should go to the Gate City receivers for making better plays on the ball than the defensive backs.

Regarding the offense, they were able to run the ball well and they hit on big passes when they did go over the top.  The dedication to run by both teams shortened the clock.