Union and Richlands

trumpet1988

2 hours ago, GC HOKE said:

Along similar lines, i would like to make a comment about nearly all of the Richlands' fans' comments on the Richlands/GC game last week.  It seems the consensus amongst the Blues faithful is that they played pretty badly, the secondary was not good, and they kept their offense vanilla so as not to show anything to Union.  I wasn't at the game, so I can't comment whether any of that is true or not (all 3 could very well be true).  Having said that, wouldn't it be proper as a fan to give your opponent just a little bit of credit?  I'm not soliciting for compliments by no means.  But don't you know that some GC fans are lamenting the fact of how badly we played, with the INTs in the red zone and all?

I don't think any Richlands supporters were disrespecting Gate City at all.  I sure don't disrespect GC.  I don't know anyone who does.  The fact that it was game 1, and both teams have work to do doesn't reflect any disrespect in any fashion.   I believe it has more to do with the fact that Union is game #2 for Richlands, and for the past few years that game has decided the champion. 

I have nothing but ABSOLUTE RESPECT for Gate City and the fan base. You guys have earned it. When it doesn't effect my Blues I pull for you guys. 

We always wished when I was younger we could be like the Gate City Blue Devil's. Good luck this season... I think you all will win many games and be a factor come November.

9 hours ago, UniON_FoOtBaLL said:

Last year this thread had 200+ comments on it by now.  Isn't alot of talk this year. I can't wait till Friday this is gonna be a good game awesome rivalry!!

Little different feel to this year's game. I think it's just the unknowns. Lot of unproven players(at the varsity level) for both teams. Potential is there, we'll have to wait and see how some of these young players handle the center stage, and how some of the existing personnel changes work out.

I would prefer a nice dry field with pristine conditions, but that is looking very unlikely. Not even sure who a muddy field will benefit....if it benefits either. This could turn into a 7-6 game if everyone is out sloshing through 6" of mud.

10 hours ago, UniON_FoOtBaLL said:

Last year this thread had 200+ comments on it by now.  Isn't alot of talk this year. I can't wait till Friday this is gonna be a good game awesome rivalry!!

Half of the discussion has been about Richlands vs. Blacksburg instead 

NO SURPRISES THIS YEAR FROM UNION,we will run fullhouse and the spread.Zirkle will be our workhorse and OWENS will be the speed and catch passes in the flat for some one on one .I expect RICHLANDS  to run run run,to limit our possessions just as we did last year, the "D" for MANCE  and team will make UNION beat them with the pass, and I know nothing on RICHLANDS DBs this year except what has been spoken about on this board, and I dont think they are as good as they were last year.Turner has alot of games under his belt now and he only had one last year this time.I think he will have a big game but the rain may prevent that

Union big. It's one of the worst Richlands teams I've seen this century. Not the same fundamentally sound Richlands I'm used to seeing. A huge drop off in athletes as well. GC hung with Richlands until the end and gave them plenty of fits, and GC is far from a powerhouse. Knowing what Union is returning, I expect a big win in Union's favor. 

Union 35

Richlands 14

9 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

Union big. It's one of the worst Richlands teams I've seen this century. Not the same fundamentally sound Richlands I'm used to seeing. A huge drop off in athletes as well. GC hung with Richlands until the end and gave them plenty of fits, and GC is far from a powerhouse. Knowing what Union is returning, I expect a big win in Union's favor. 

Union 35

Richlands 14

I would like to see the boys from home get a big win over Richlands. But I don't think it will be of that proportion. The two have always had great matchups and I look forward to yet another one. We are making the 3 hour drive tomorrow to see it. Hopefully it lives up to the other classics. Or at least in Union's favor. 

On 8/30/2017 at 2:13 PM, jarhead24219 said:

fans are already at the park.....naaa,but come early friday!!!!!!

Friday may be too early.  Have heard from a couple players game could be moved to Saturday.  Last I saw rain should be outta here by Saturday afternoon, so I hope they're right.

35 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Friday may be too early.  Have heard from a couple players game could be moved to Saturday.  Last I saw rain should be outta here by Saturday afternoon, so I hope they're right.

Unions field does extremely well with water. Now the amount of rain in a short time may be a different story. I've watched some PV/Appy classics in a mudbowl. As long as it's not lightening I say let the boys play.

I fully expect some games will get postponed tomorrow.  I just don't see this one as being one of them.  People from the BSG obviously know more than I do about their field and whatnot but a postponement to Saturday would hurt the gate somewhat, maybe only slightly, but certainly somewhat.

47 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

It was being discussed, but it will be played tomorrow as scheduled. Bring your rain gear. 

1 hour ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

Union 35

Richlands 14

I can remember those first few matchups when people picked Richlands to "win big" and those were both games that came down to the end. I don't think it matters who is the better team on paper. This game has some sort of mystique around it and it's a true rivalry game. I don't think you can put too much stock in a singular game. From what I've heard, Richlands held quite a bit back vs. GC. 

The current weather forecast is an 80% chance of rain/thunderstorms for tomorrow evening. If the game is played on Friday, I plan to attend; the weather will likely have a real impact on the outcome. I think Union is very comfortable playing out of the old school "T" formation but I'm not sure that's the best approach against Richlands this season. With the bad weather, turnovers and penalties become the most important statistic. 

I got Richlands in a close game.  It seems like the better team doesn't win this game.  I am just not buying this stuff about the talent level being that different between the schools.  Both schools have some serious talent and there isn't that much difference.  Union has the experience at skilled positions, but the games are won up front, and Richlands this year, 2017 (regardless of the skilled players lost) is absolutely nasty up front.  I think the Blues control games and manage to stay in a game like this one with Union because of the big ugly's up front.  The lineplay of Richlands will give the young skilled position players time to improve and iron out those useful mistakes and Richlands is going to be truly badas* by regular season's end after playing that tough schedule.  Mance is one heck of a coach and don't believe for a minute Richlands is undisciplined.  They are simply young and raw at many positions, and Mance will turn the discipline, lack of attention, focus, and youthful mistake stuff around quickly.  I have seen to many times over the years where Richlands supposedly loses a lot, and they turn around an run off a 9-1 or 8-2 type year again only to go deep into the playoffs.  This year ain't no different.  I watched what they did to our line and our line at GC is pretty dang good, and we simply couldn't do anything with em.  They were in the backfield all game long.  Offensively, by the late second, they were getting a 5 yard push off the ball with about every snap.  Union's big's better be ready to battle.  I got Richlands in a close, mild upset game at

24-20.  With that prediction, I have to admit I have not seen Union this year.

Only reason I would like to see it moved to Saturday is just for the attendance.  If its raining there will be a lot of people stay home.  The atmosphere just won't be the same in a rain storm.  But game wise I think the advantage goes to Richland's because the weather will affect Unions speed but Union still wins in a close one.

Rain storm Union wins 20-13

Decent conditions Union 34-27

Scattered shower/storm threat tomorrow.  Not an all day rain event.  Winds will be gusty.  Wind direction could play a role in rain/storm threat.  I'm sure there will be jokes, but in seriousness there is something to keep an eye on, a slight risk for now....mostly an afternoon/early evening deal though.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day2otlk.html

http://www.wcyb.com/weather/long-wx-videocast/thursday-nights-stormtrack-5-forecast-08-31-2017/615149237