Union and Richlands

trumpet1988

I stood on the fence, but if memory serves me right, I don't recall Richlands making it past midfield in the first half. Maybe 1 first down other than the penalty first downs. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm 45 and losing my memory lol

Mediocre???  Union dominated that game richlands has 1 first down in the 1st half an richlands is a very good team.  Richlands is not as explosive this year but they are still a very good team. They are gonna win alot of games. Union defense is absoulty top notch.  Like I posted earlier some people thought Richlands had the edge at the LOS but it was a mis match.  I hope the blues have a awesome year good game guys glad the rain held off for the most part.  

8 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

we won but we may have lost TURNER, clean play just bad luck.One of the coaches said it looked bad from what BAILEY described to him where he hurt.Going forward may be tough

I think the qualls kid is a awesome QB it sucks If we lost him but 10 back there will put another threat back there with is legs an he can throw.  Was always the QB in 8th 9th grade.  He isnt listed as the back up but i guarantee If Bailey is out he will be back there.  An from what I just Hurd he is fine got a few text from coaches that he is ok.  

1 hour ago, EH31 said:

Just listening to the game on the radio it seemed like Union dominated the game and if it wasn't for a couple untimely turnovers the score could've been a 3 td spread. Is that how it played out on the field? Curious why you would think that? 

That's how played out. Union dominated LOS on both sides, got down to the 1 on two separate occasions and left with zero points. No offense to RHS, the Blues hung tough, but the OL couldn't hold back the nasty Bear DL.

Random thoughts:

* I was a little bummed that this didn't come down to the final play, but I guess that had to end sometime. Still a good game though.

* Good crowd, but not as big as I thought it would be. Uncertain weather may have had something to do with that.

*Thankful that the weather held out for the most part. On the way over from Kingsport it rained pretty hard a couple of times.

*Thought at the half that Union was going to win unless they imploded with turnovers. They really just dominated both sides of the LOS, and probably should have been up 2-3 TD at the half.

*Really surprised Richlands had so much difficulty moving the football, especially on the ground. 

*Also surprised that Richlands punted to Mitchell after angling their first punt out of bounds. I have no idea why any opponent would ever willingly put the football in his hands. 

*Didn't understand why Mance didn't go for 2 after the TD. The way Union was grinding the football, possessions were going to be limited. 

Our first home game as a Bear family did not disappoint. Union was strong and had a chance to put plenty more points on the board. But football happens and 16-7 is what we got. Seen a lot of good sportsmanship from both teams. Even the richlands kid that hit Owens after the whistle blew was helping people up and checked on turner after his injury. Fans afterward were polite as well. Great atmosphere   Now to address the prick calling my son and his teammates SOB's...Big man. Create a new account to hide behind and talk about kids. If the Bears were gearing up outside the stadium away from the flag and everyone's attention, get over it. Not any different than if they were in a locker room. Maybe you should worry about yourself and focus on the flag during the NA. My guess is you sat down in your kapernick jersey. Disappear pal. You're not wanted here haha. 

Congrats to Union they played a very good game last night! Richlands defense played a very good game but they can't be out on the field 80% of game. They are going to have to get something figured out on offense! #2 is going to have to just hit he's short routes and work the ball down the field as far as running the ball I seen some good runs from both rb's but if I was Mance I would go to T or power I and run it right down the field! I thought they was going to use #72, 45 & 44 some at rb last night would've been the night to do it! Richlands just put it behind you and get ready for Blacksburg in 2wks!!

On 8/31/2017 at 3:17 PM, Leatherhead Larry said:

Union big. It's one of the worst Richlands teams I've seen this century. Not the same fundamentally sound Richlands I'm used to seeing. A huge drop off in athletes as well. GC hung with Richlands until the end and gave them plenty of fits, and GC is far from a powerhouse. Knowing what Union is returning, I expect a big win in Union's favor. 

Union 35

Richlands 14

I think most of the former Blues players know what is missing factor is and why the team is not fundamentally sound as in the past. Mance shook up his coaching last year and it's catching up to him. Maybe he can turn it around before the season gets too far along but I'm not too hopeful but also hope I'm wrong. 

On 9/1/2017 at 9:20 PM, #1BLUESFAN said:

Gonna be a long season for the blues....no offence at all.....first time in forever that they cant do one or the other but they cant run or pass ....its sad..

A very long season if defense keeps giving up 290 yards & offense can't run or pass, get past Blacksburg, should have some easy wins maybe. 

1 hour ago, Hokiebird7 said:

I would say giles in 2013 playoffs had well over 290 rushing but I could be wrong

"Giles running backs Brett Whitlow and Brian Mann combined for seven touchdowns and 421 rushing yards on the night as the Spartans scored 27 first-quarter points to pull away from Richlands for a convincing 48-14 win in Pearisburg."

8 minutes ago, EH31 said:

"Giles running backs Brett Whitlow and Brian Mann combined for seven touchdowns and 421 rushing yards on the night as the Spartans scored 27 first-quarter points to pull away from Richlands for a convincing 48-14 win in Pearisburg."

I figured the way we totally dominated that game from the start they had well over 300 but wasn't positive...bet we had zero passing lol and doubt we even attempted a pass...rate night no attempts were needed

3 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Saw this Sam Dixon photo on Coalfieldprogress.com and thought it was very indicative of the mutual respect between Richlands and Union. Always like seeing sportsmanship like this.

Brown-Mitchell.jpg

This is what it should be about with sportsmanship.  As a whole this year I have been impressed by what I have seen from our games son sportsmanship and hope that I continue to see it with all teams in the area!