Union and Richlands

trumpet1988

3 minutes ago, trumpet1988 said:

I am honestly surprised not to see any discussion on this game. Every single one of these games have been doozies. 

What are your thoughts?

Union 28, Richlands 21

Union has the passing offense to give a questionable Richlands secondary some fits.  I think 28-21 is a reasonable score.

This rivalry has started to feel like the games between Powell Valley, Appalachia, and Gate City back when I was in high school in the 90s. I have to give the nod to the Bears and their defense. It won't be another 1pt game, but should still make for another SWVA classic. With a 3pt lead, with Richlands driving for the game winner, Union's D scores on a turnover for a 10pt win. 

Union 24

Richlands 14

As a Richlands fan, this game worries me.  Our secondary will definitely need to step it up.  I think our run defense will be ok.  Key for RIchlands is to establish the running game to hopefully open up the passing.  Trey Browns ability to run the ball will be huge.  I know Mitchell cant be stopped we can only hope to contain him!!  As a Richlands homer (LOL).  I will say Richlands 24-21 with a Levi Forrest 47 yard FG late to win it.

See you all Friday!!!

Well,  I was going to do a small write up about what I thought,  but I would just be echoing for the most part what mv91 stated.  I pretty much feel the same way but will pick a different score,  I'll go with 27 to 24 my Blues,  but this game does worry me even more than last years game.  We have to be able to keep it close because our offense is just not as explosive as it has been in the past.  We have some great kids who will play with all their heart,  but speed is an issue this year and teams like Union and Graham and especially Bburg scare the bejesus outta me.

This should be another fun game to watch,  just hope we can contain Mitchell.  I do wish him all the best at the next level next year  !  I absolutly love watching all of the kids from our area  make it to the college game no matter what division it is,  but it's especially nice when you may get to watch them on TV and hear the name of one of our schools mentioned !

I just hope somebody ties his shoe laces together this Friday before the game against us ! 

Richlands played Gate City with a very closed play book. They did not throw the ball very much. Richlands run defense will be good this year, however the secondary is going to need some work. The thing people did not see is that Richlands played different players in different positions all night long. They was testing the waters most of the game. 

Richlands opens up the playbook and takes down Union. 35-28

Good luck to both teams. Union appears to have a very physical team that will try to pound the ball and, based on some of the previous postings, Richlands may be more inclined to run the ball this season.  So I think maybe a game winning field goal and a lower score such as 17 to 14. 

Very impressed with the Bears D thus far. I think it will be the difference in the game...IF the O line has settled in. That's the one cause for concern. If Turner takes as much time in the backfield as he did against Burton and the line misses a few assignments the Richlands D will eat him alive. Really looking forward to seeing how the O handles Richlands' pressure. I see some scoring, but not an outrageous amount.

Union 28
Richlands 24

Regardless, we know it's going to be a great game and an incredible atmosphere.

Mance knew the Union guys would be in attendance. So I echo what Insight had to say. They definitely just ran what was needed to win. The offense should look much different at Union. 

Richlands will have to play much better to win this one. Hope they do...Go Big Blue!

1 hour ago, BlueRazor said:

Mance knew the Union guys would be in attendance. So I echo what Insight had to say. They definitely just ran what was needed to win. The offense should look much different at Union. 

Richlands will have to play much better to win this one. Hope they do...Go Big Blue!

Mance knows what he's doing? Since when? Haha

Just messing with ya razor...good luck Friday...should be another good one

1 hour ago, BlueRazor said:

This was a quote by George Thwaites, BDT reporter----

"Who knows what the Union scouts, as conspicuous at Ernie Hicks as foreign emissaries in embassy tuxedos, made of Friday's game.......

And since it was Game One for both teams being scouted, good luck sorting out the sheep from the goats in the film room Sunday afternoon."

Richlands secondary has to be able to contain Mitchell or its  over real quick for the blues! The #44 kid for Richlands looked good running the ball on that interception he got....that stiff arm he put on that gate city defender was wicked!! Mance needs to use him in the red zone along with #72 & #45! That would be a big boy package 

5 minutes ago, BlackWolf5 said:

Richlands secondary has to be able to contain Mitchell or its  over real quick for the blues! The #44 kid for Richlands looked good running the ball on that interception he got....that stiff arm he put on that gate city defender was wicked!! Mance needs to use him in the red zone along with #72 & #45! That would be a big boy package 

Have you been at the practices or something? lol 

You will be seeing 44 as tailback on goal line with #72 in #8 friday night as Fullback.