Tazewell @ River View

stu_bean

1 hour ago, stu_bean said:

I know not exactly a game of the week here, still know nothing about River View.  Thoughts about it?  What can visitors expect there?  Educate me...

The winner of this game goes 1-9, and the loser goes 0-10.  Tazewell is a prohibitive underdog in every remaining game except Lebanon (and Lebanon should be favored), and Riverview is a prohibitive underdog in every remaining game except Montcalm (and Montcalm should be favored).

I would give a slight edge to Tazewell, but Riverview had a bye week and actually did score on Mount View a wee bit.  And don't underestimate the rigors of a windy bus ride up 16.  Tazewell has shown nothing resembling offense in the last two games.  Then again, Tazewell beat Montcalm in the scrimmage, who is almost certainly better than Riverview.

Question for anybody that would know.  I know what google maps says but prefer to leave to real world travel, how long would it take to get from THS to River View?  Also should I assume that had better get a bite before crossing over the line?  I know there isn't anything all the way to War, but never been to Bradshaw.

6 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

Question for anybody that would know.  I know what google maps says but prefer to leave to real world travel, how long would it take to get from THS to River View?  Also should I assume that had better get a bite before crossing over the line?  I know there isn't anything all the way to War, but never been to Bradshaw.

I would allow at least an hour to get to Bradshaw. Watch your speed going through the city of War. They will be more than happy to give you a Safe Driving Award. As far as places to eat, Subway and Godfathers pizza is about it in Bradshaw.

1 hour ago, stu_bean said:

Plan on between 1:15 and 1:30.

7 hours ago, stu_bean said:

Not really any good options to eat once you get to Bradshaw...but also probably not a great option to cross 16 after a big meal. Pack a picnic and eat in the parking lot

I heard from people that watched Riverview scrimmage at Twin Valley that they made a lot mistakes on both sides of the ball, missed a lot of tackles, and the coaching was very questionable. Just a sloppy team in general. Tazewell should win by 2-3 TD's or more.

If you remember the old John Boy 's drive thru they just opened one of those back up and they call it the Owl, it is as you are leaving War beside the old service station.  They make a good Cheeseburger and fries, suppose to stay open till 7.  Belongs to the Jones who own the hardware store, their daughter was a tennis coach for VT, pretty sure she made it into Tech coaching hall of fame, or something like that,  some really good people.

14 hours ago, EH31 said:

Not really any good options to eat once you get to Bradshaw...but also probably not a great option to cross 16 after a big meal. Pack a picnic and eat in the parking lot

I travel either grapefield of the Marion mountains daily.  Curvy mountain roads bring them on :)

Thinking about Godfather's pizza...

10 hours ago, thundercloud said:

If you remember the old John Boy 's drive thru they just opened one of those back up and they call it the Owl, it is as you are leaving War beside the old service station.  They make a good Cheeseburger and fries, suppose to stay open till 7.  Belongs to the Jones who own the hardware store, their daughter was a tennis coach for VT, pretty sure she made it into Tech coaching hall of fame, or something like that,  some really good people.

Leaving War towards Bradshaw or towards Bishop?

4 hours ago, old_school said:

Just stop at Bud's and get you a bucket of chicken before heading over the mountain. Or one of those incredible corn dogs. Makes me hungry thinking about Bud's deli.

I get a Pork chop biscuit from Buds every morning on my way to Bradshaw. Chicken in the evening sometimes. They are hard to beat.

8 hours ago, stu_bean said:

Leaving War towards Bradshaw or towards Bishop?

Leaving War going to  Bradshaw.  War has a fall festival that starts Friday, should be some street food vendors setup as you go thru they have stuff going on that night.

Bud's, I get the tenderloin biscuit with a egg, things are big as a sandwich.  Best biscuit I have found in this part of the world.

Can anybody confirm the start time of 7?  Most things I have seen say 7 but saw a few that said 7:30.  I know when teams play other WV schools it's 7:30.  I wish it was standardized so wouldn't have to figure out when a game is...

8 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

Can anybody confirm the start time of 7?  Most things I have seen say 7 but saw a few that said 7:30.  I know when teams play other WV schools it's 7:30.  I wish it was standardized so wouldn't have to figure out when a game is...

From Riverview's Facebook page -

"WAKE UP! IT'S GAMEDAY! The Raiders will welcome the Tazewell Bulldogs to Mitch Estep Field tonight in the first ever football meeting between the two schools. Tonight is "Purple Reign" night, so #RaiderNation should all wear purple! Kickoff is scheduled for 7:30! GOOOOO RAIDERS!!!!!"

I also seen this in case any Tazewell fans going to the game want to participate.

"Per Principal Frazier McGuire:

River View High School would ask that each fan bring a non perishable food item tomorrow night for RVHS / Tazewell football game tomorrow night. Each item will be donated to the community food box at Bradshaw Elementary. Donations can be made at the front gate.  Thank you."

3 hours ago, Bulldogs52 said:

Couldn't just leave it at the Congratulations part? These kids don't need to be hearing or seeing nonsense like this!

You're right, my apologies. They're a young team, new head coach and hopefully this is a building season and they'll continue to improve and win.