SWVA all time teams

Dookthecook

Actually,now that I've looked at it, I'd take Clintwood's history over Giles.   Multiple titles and did it for a hell of a lot longer.  Clintwood was known for good football for damn near 50 years before Steve brought Giles up from being a NRD also ran.  The Greenwave were having winning season after winning season back when the Red Devils and Cornhuskers were playing each other.    

6 minutes ago, SW_VA_boy said:

Actually,now that I've looked at it, I'd take Clintwood's history over Giles.   Multiple titles and did it for a hell of a lot longer.  Clintwood was known for good football for damn near 50 years before Steve brought Giles up from being a NRD also ran.  The Greenwave were having winning season after winning season back when the Red Devils and Cornhuskers were playing each other.    

And yet you still have ZERO titles unless you want to count the 38 & 39 titles(believe this is right) that you guys "claim" you have

As long as you have been alive you have been little brother in the county 

7 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

And yet you still have ZERO titles unless you want to count the 38 & 39 titles(believe this is right) that you guys "claim" you have

As long as you have been alive you have been little brother in the county 

Clintwood was the greenwave..

Have a hard time seeing Richlands above Appy. Yes, I'm biased. But Appy has been closed since 2011 and has more state titles than any of the teams listed minus PV as best I remember. But I could be wrong. 

PV 

Appy

Clintwood

GC

Richlands

Giles

16 minutes ago, BearDawg said:

Have a hard time seeing Richlands above Appy. Yes, I'm biased. But Appy has been closed since 2011 and has more state titles than any of the teams listed minus PV as best I remember. But I could be wrong. 

PV 

Appy

Clintwood

GC

Richlands

Giles

Flip GC and Clintwood and flip Richlands and Giles and that should be just right.

14 minutes ago, TwhscoachT said:

http://www.vhsl-reference.com/bestprograms.cfm

Haven't seen a post condemning vhsl reference but this is a decent gauge on who is where. Thought out the state of course. Sorry if this is not liked

Methodology is slightly skewed...it awards points for playoff losses. I can see a point for a playoff berth, and take 1 away for a loss. That way, just going 1 and done would factor in better. But, by the same token, you have teams like the 89-91 Coeburn Blue Knights who would beat nearly any of the present day teams eyes shut, but hardly ever made it past the first round of the playoffs because they usually had to go to Bullitt Park for their opening playoff game...

1 hour ago, TwhscoachT said:

http://www.vhsl-reference.com/bestprograms.cfm

Haven't seen a post condemning vhsl reference but this is a decent gauge on who is where. Thought out the state of course. Sorry if this is not liked

Definitely not a good gauge unless you are talking about strictly 2000 to 2016. If going by 1970 to now I am putting Powell Valley, Appalachia, Gate City, Giles, and Clintwood in the top five spots. 

If you change the time period to 1970 - 2016, the rankings for our area teams go to:

#4  Powell Valley

#5   Gate City

#7  Appalachia

#10 Giles

#15 Clintwood

#22 Richlands

#27 Graham

#28 JI Burton

Some things that pop out to me (since I am a GC fan):

Only two teams during that time period have more playoff wins than GC (53 wins).......Hampton (77) and Salem (64).

Those same two teams have more playoff appearances than GC's 84 appearances......Hampton (106) and Salem (85).

GC's 5 state championships are bested by Hampton (12), Salem (8), Powell Valley (8), Phoebus (7), and Appalachia (6).

GC leads the state in playoff losses during that time period with 31 loses.

1 hour ago, Great City said:

If you change the time period to 1970 - 2016, the rankings for our area teams go to:

#4  Powell Valley

#5   Gate City

#7  Appalachia

#10 Giles

#15 Clintwood

#22 Richlands

#27 Graham

#28 JI Burton

Some things that pop out to me (since I am a GC fan):

Only two teams during that time period have more playoff wins than GC (53 wins).......Hampton (77) and Salem (64).

Those same two teams have more playoff appearances than GC's 84 appearances......Hampton (106) and Salem (85).

GC's 5 state championships are bested by Hampton (12), Salem (8), Powell Valley (8), Phoebus (7), and Appalachia (6).

GC leads the state in playoff losses during that time period with 31 loses.

I would put Gate City 1974 team against any team, past, present or future. That is the best team in Southwest Virginia history! That team was the total package of offense, defense and special teams, and the second best team was probably the 1970 team.

2 hours ago, SXSW said:

I would put Gate City 1974 team against any team, past, present or future. That is the best team in Southwest Virginia history! That team was the total package of offense, defense and special teams, and the second best team was probably the 1970 team.

Absolutely. 

My two cents...

Gate City and Powell Valley stand out as the top two in terms of an "all-time" perspective.  I give particular weight to the two state titles that they each won in the 1970-1985 time period.  Appalachia was consistently good throughout its existence as well, so it's easy for me to identify the Bulldogs as a not-distant #3.

I'm oddly ambivalent about including Richlands in this discussion.  The current era of high performance (roughly 2000-present) has certainly been a source of pride and joy.  But before 2000, the program overall had a W/L record hovering right around .500 (and the 1970's and 1980's were actually very bad in that regard).

And I think Graham might be extremely underappreciated in this discussion.  With rare exceptions, the G-Men have fielded a competitive product on the gridiron consistently since they started playing back in the 1920's.  Graham was the only SW Virginia school to win a state title in football prior to the 1970 reclassification .  And if they had actually been participating in Group A (and the subsequent Divisions 1 and 2) instead of playing up for as many years as they did after 1970, it's not hard to imagine that they would have acquired even more state and regional hardware than they already possess.

Those are my immediate thoughts with regard to the "all time" discussion.  If we want to limit it to the era that began in 1970, I can think of several schools that belong in the discussion.  But it wouldn't change my observations in this post very much.