SWVA all time teams

Dookthecook

5 hours ago, Olebluedev said:

96 gc was one of the best to not win. Sometimes other than being good you have to a little luck to win it all. But in regards to the 98 pv team I was just curious. I didn't follow the lpd much.

It was a loaded bunch. Maybe the most dominant DL PV ever had, a couple standout all state type LBs and a secondary that had as much speed as anyone and loved to headhunt. I've said this before but the hardest hit I can ever remember seeing was Julius decapitating a Clintwood WR. I was a kid and still remember the sound. 

I think the 95 team was a more composed, more consistent team but the 97-98 squad was much more explosive. TJ was the better runner, go watch the highlight video of him and Sensebaugh from JIB when TJ went for 450+ rush yards and Boo had 300 some. But 98 was just deeper and could beat you in numerous ways. 

Unfortunately many of the teams I omitted, I had only witnessed in losses in the state finals.

I believe 2004 PV may have been the same case. If that was Robbins senior year, I only saw them lose to Manassas Park where their qb had 30 or 40 carries (Zach Terrell?).  I judged them (probably unfairly) as one dimensional as that was the only time I saw them play. Unfortunately, SWVA teams have disappointed me too often at the neutral sites.

The only ones I remember turning out how I wanted were 2002 George Wythe, 2003 Gate City, and 2006 Richlands. I know we had some wins during that era, i just happened not to see them or went to the wrong site.

This thread is reminding me of the many good playoff games I have seen leading up to the finals, though.

15 minutes ago, Olebluedev said:

If you are comparing 2004 pv to 98 pv then my personal opinion is 98 wasn't as good as you state.

I don't think anyone was comparing 04 to 98. 98 was MUCH better and likely would have spanked the 04 team  

04 was one of the better ones not to win it all, though. That much is clear. But the 98 team was hands down the best team from PV and likely the best SWVA team in the last 30 years. 

11 minutes ago, Olebluedev said:

No offense but I had always heard 89 was the best pv team

I haven't saw as much 89, but it'd be hard for me to believe they were as explosive or talented, but it was a very good team.

I wasn't comparing 2004 to 98 or any state title year. Someone posted a list of their best teams not to win a state title and had recent examples, and I thought 2004 deserved to be mentioned in that class. 

1 hour ago, tornado99 said:

Unfortunately many of the teams I omitted, I had only witnessed in losses in the state finals.

I believe 2004 PV may have been the same case. If that was Robbins senior year, I only saw them lose to Manassas Park where their qb had 30 or 40 carries (Zach Terrell?).  I judged them (probably unfairly) as one dimensional as that was the only time I saw them play. Unfortunately, SWVA teams have disappointed me too often at the neutral sites.

The only ones I remember turning out how I wanted were 2002 George Wythe, 2003 Gate City, and 2006 Richlands. I know we had some wins during that era, i just happened not to see them or went to the wrong site.

This thread is reminding me of the many good playoff games I have seen leading up to the finals, though.

It was Zach Terrell, he was an exceptional athlete. But that was a weird game, PV had a couple starters get hurt early. Despite Terrells heroics, PV had the ball driving to take the lead at the end when they came up short. It wasn't the most balanced team, but the running attack was there. Clearly a better passing team, Robbins threw for 500 yards at Clintwood and had an incredible year as a passer but he was also a good athlete who could scramble and had a couple backs capable of big gains.

14 hours ago, Olebluedev said:

No offense but I had always heard 89 was the best pv team

'90 PV was the best. '98 may have gotten more hype, but the players on that '90 team were MEN. No single player heroics. A good, well-balanced TEAM.

My 2 cents anyway.

I'm right with everyone here. I just like to get a better argument on the topic with better details other than people saying this team no matter what is the best. But overall there have been great teams and athletes who have come from these small towns. It's part of the reason we are all football nuts I suppose.

6 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

2001 Graham would have beaten 2004 PV by 28.  I saw both of those teams play, and that Graham team was a notch above pretty much everyone else in the "best not to win" club.

I would add 2010 Richlands and 1996 Gate City with 2001 Graham, but other than that I concur. 

On 9/7/2017 at 7:26 AM, SXSW said:

I would put Gate City 1974 team against any team, past, present or future. That is the best team in Southwest Virginia history! That team was the total package of offense, defense and special teams, and the second best team was probably the 1970 team.

Add me as one who would wholeheartedly agree with this statement. Best team I've ever seen from SWVA.

3 minutes ago, cityofRaven said:

I overheard at the Mountaineer in Bluefield one night, after a lot of adult beverages, someone scream, "the '84 Beavers would have given the Packers a run for their money."

I knew then I needed to drink more. 

To be fair to that alcoholic person, Green Bay did start out 1-7 in 1984.

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:54 AM, Olebluedev said:

96 gc had 4 D1 players, I would say they would have beat 01 Graham. 

If going by D1 players you better add early Radford teams. Was told they had like 19 players go D1

22 hours ago, Union's hammer said:

92,93,and 94 teams at Appalachia I would put up there with any of the ones mentioned before. The 93 team probably the better of the 3 and the only one not to win state. 

The 93 team I think was the best also.  Appy lost that game because of an incident the week earlier.

23 hours ago, Union's hammer said:

92,93,and 94 teams at Appalachia I would put up there with any of the ones mentioned before. The 93 team probably the better of the 3 and the only one not to win state. 

I played against the 93 team at Appalachia, to open the season my Freshman year. Not a fun welcome to Varsity football. I also played against the 93, 94, 95, and 96 Gate City teams. GC had the better stars during that time, but the 93 Appalachia team was the best "team" that I ever played against.