SWVA all time teams

Dookthecook

If your going all time teams from 70 until now my top 3 would go 

1.  Appalachia just because of their accomplishments but mainly how competitive they were against the bigger schools.

2.  Powell Valley -  they were always just so consistent every year and being from Appy it made me sick at the time

3. Gate City -  if you go back earlier than 1970 they may be #1 over Appy.

I just never got to see Giles Graham and Richland's enough being from Appalachia to rank them even though they may belong in front of my top 3.  Playoff time we ended up playing teams like Bath Co. or Parry McCluer.  

4 hours ago, SXSW said:

Really Dude???....That is the typical way now days, if someone doesn't agree with you, you call them names on social media or a message board..My opinion is mine and I will not bow down at the alter of Powell Valley because my opinion is different from yours. I even put PV on the Mount Rushmore of All-time programs in Southwest Va. but since I didn't list them first is that what offended you?

I took no offense, but that post was through Blue Devil colored glasses.  Just like the assumption made by another poster that the 89 Viking team couldn't get past the Devils in a playoff game.  The only difference in the regular season was a late missed FG, the guts to go for 2 in OT to win, and a wide open receiver in the end zone being under thrown by an All State QB. It's all assumptions...and those don't pan out.

1 hour ago, sup_rbeast said:

I took no offense, but that post was through Blue Devil colored glasses.  Just like the assumption made by another poster that the 89 Viking team couldn't get past the Devils in a playoff game.  The only difference in the regular season was a late missed FG, the guts to go for 2 in OT to win, and a wide open receiver in the end zone being under thrown by an All State QB. It's all assumptions...and those don't pan out.

I try not to let my fandom get in the way of reality, but sometimes it does. What PV did was outstanding over the long haul! It all meshed  for them when Robbins came and with that run of athletes.

2 hours ago, SXSW said:

I try not to let my fandom get in the way of reality, but sometimes it does. What PV did was outstanding over the long haul! It all meshed  for them when Robbins came and with that run of athletes.

I miss when both teams were elite level at the same time. Since Union consolidated, it seems one team is up while the other is down. GC had a great run from 05-2013 or so barring a couple games but Union has been better recently. I remember one of the best games I've ever seen was in a monsoon in GC during the mid 90s. It was a state title team and PV won but it was a nail biter. 2004 was also an epic game, I remember that more vividly. 

3 hours ago, goose111874 said:

When was it when Richlands started becoming a major program sometime during the 80's ?

Richlands was pretty competitive 1991-1994 When they won their first championship during the Vaught era in 1992.  Then with Mance 1998, 2001-now has been the most consistent. 

I can't rightly judge pre-1990, but since I wouldn't hesitate to place Powell Valley first, Appalachia second, and Gate City third. I will admit during my era, Graham was the team to beat in the SWD, but Richlands began to do so more often beginning in the 90s.  I will defer to Bluefield researcher for the exact numbers, but I remember 92, 93, and 1998 being championship years (1993 was playoff ineligible due to cleatgate). I'd have no issues having Richlands, Graham, Giles, and George Wythe on the next tier. I will admit the 1998 Powell Valley team was the best I had seen or played against over that stretch. 

34 minutes ago, Olebluedev said:

03 GC was very balanced, without Julius who would pv have went to.

FB Victor Williams. Usually when Julius didn't get the handoff, Victor did and he was sometimes the factor in some games from what I remember.y PV could have won state without Julius. He was definitely the best player on the team but he was not THE reason for success.

I don't think it's fair to take the stud off the team and only base opinion on the remainder, BUT I remember them having several D2 and D3 caliber players. Matt McCoy was one of the toughest I remember playing against on one of those PV teams. In would say most of the teams on the list had their share. It would be tough for me to evaluate the late 90s Gate City teams after removing Shoemaker, Beasley, Houseright, and Wolfe.  The Richlands 1992 teams and 2006 teams were well-oiled machines, but remove one or two of their best players and they are above average.

My top 5 individual championship teams that I have seen (no slight to Appalachia since I didn't see play) would go:

1998 Powell Valley

2006 Richlands 

1997 Powell Valley 

1997 Gate City 

1992 Richlands, 2003 Gate City (tie)

Honorable Mentions 1995 Graham, 95? Powell Valley (Thomas Jones senior year.)

95 was TJs senior year.

And I'm not so sure the 97 PV team wasn't slightly better but it's splitting hairs. I thought 97 proved more on field, beating Lee, GC (state champs) and Appalachia (state champs) in regular season but 98 was more seasoned and prob more consistent. 

And I don't believe you could rank 97 GC ahead of 97 Appalachia as Appalachia beat them.

38 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

95 was TJs senior year.

And I'm not so sure the 97 PV team wasn't slightly better but it's splitting hairs. I thought 97 proved more on field, beating Lee, GC (state champs) and Appalachia (state champs) in regular season but 98 was more seasoned and prob more consistent. 

And I don't believe you could rank 97 GC ahead of 97 Appalachia as Appalachia beat them.

My disclaimer was never seeing them play...I would rank them higher if I had.

I My best not to win that I saw would include in chronological order would include:

1996 Gate City

2001? Graham

2005 Richlands 

2010 Richlands 

2015 Richlands 

I would have Honaker Heath Miller's senior year, and 2002 Gate City as honorable mentions.

33 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

I My best not to win that I saw would include in chronological order would include:

1996 Gate City

2001? Graham

2005 Richlands 

2010 Richlands 

2015 Richlands 

I would have Honaker Heath Miller's senior year, and 2002 Gate City as honorable mentions.

04 PV was very good as well, losing in the title game by six.