Battle of the unbeaten. Ridgeview @ Union

CriticalNoise

I agree that Ridgeview came to play. Union looked bad in the first half IMO, turnovers and special teams kept RV in it. Luckily Union came out the half strong and the defense really stepped up in the 2nd. I may be the only Union fan that thinks this way but I don't like our QB and offensive situation at all. Playing 3 different QB's in a dozen different sets just kills any rhythm we can get. Sure #82 can go score on average/mediocre teams but that's not going to work down the road IMO. I still say our best bet is #10 at QB, #82 #4 and #80 at WR and running the ball from the spread. Of course, possibly rolling #82 in occasionally at QB as a spark. I just don't see #21 getting the job done at QB against a good team. I know arm-chair QB's are a dime a dozen, I just don't think the Bears are taking advantage of the talent they have. It's hard to be critical when they are winning but there's a few tough games coming up and much better competition come playoff time.

13 minutes ago, GoBearsGo said:

I agree that Ridgeview came to play. Union looked bad in the first half IMO, turnovers and special teams kept RV in it. Luckily Union came out the half strong and the defense really stepped up in the 2nd. I may be the only Union fan that thinks this way but I don't like our QB and offensive situation at all. Playing 3 different QB's in a dozen different sets just kills any rhythm we can get. Sure #82 can go score on average/mediocre teams but that's not going to work down the road IMO. I still say our best bet is #10 at QB, #82 #4 and #80 at WR and running the ball from the spread. Of course, possibly rolling #82 in occasionally at QB as a spark. I just don't see #21 getting the job done at QB against a good team. I know arm-chair QB's are a dime a dozen, I just don't think the Bears are taking advantage of the talent they have. It's hard to be critical when they are winning but there's a few tough games coming up and much better competition come playoff time.

Agree completely. I think tonight showed that Qualls needs to be the quarterback without a single doubt. Agreed that James could occasionally play it. 

I agree but disagree. If Union feels like they have to have someone play traditional QB, I think Qualls is the best bet for right now. The ball control issues of 21 really concern me. Qualls seems more sure handed. But, I feel like the best offense for Union right now is the single wing look w Mitchell. He's such a dynamic athlete, capable of taking it 80 yards at any moment, that Union absolutely has to get him the ball. I'm not sure either 10/21 can consistently get Mitchell the ball and with how great the run game is right now, I think having him as the primary ball handler is the best bet. He's extremely sure handed (corraling some high snaps) and knows the offense. 

1 minute ago, BigWinners said:

I agree but disagree. If Union feels like they have to have someone play traditional QB, I think Qualls is the best bet for right now. The ball control issues of 21 really concern me. Qualls seems more sure handed. But, I feel like the best offense for Union right now is the single wing look w Mitchell. He's such a dynamic athlete, capable of taking it 80 yards at any moment, that Union absolutely has to get him the ball. I'm not sure either 10/21 can consistently get Mitchell the ball and with how great the run game is right now, I think having him as the primary ball handler is the best bet. He's extremely sure handed (corraling some high snaps) and knows the offense. 

I can't disagree with you. I just think it would be better to have Qualls playing the quarterback and running the spread with some of the mitchell wildcat peppered in. I think it would make better use of all our weapons. 

John Battle 61, Lebanon 21

Lee 57, Eastside 16

Marion 48, Tazewell 27

Abingdon 29. Christianburg 7

Union 34.  Ridgeview 19

This Mountain District down the road looks tough.  I'm not sure what the opposition is like but I am thinking if scores are any indicators it will be a tough battle for 1st place. 

I am not sure if Marion is in this district but they look like they may be a tough out for anyone this year also.

Would anyone like to put together a prediction for the final standings in the Mountain District this far into the season?  I am not sure who I would pick not being familiar with the teams. It looks like it would be a close race though.  That's some points being put on the board right there!

1 hour ago, GoBearsGo said:

You guys are missing Bailey for sure.  

2 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Ha afraid not, not rushing yards. RV hung tough, just had trouble gaining yards unless it's a kickoff lol. RV adds late TD after Union botched punt. 34-20 with three mins left. 

I'm a man of my word... I'll keep the avatar till midnight next Friday night.  Lol

2 hours ago, CriticalNoise said:

I will be the first to say I underestimated RV, they are a solid team and I expect them to finish 2nd in the district. Props for playing a good game but give that damn #7 an attitude adjustment 

I'm glad more than anything we earned your respect tonight.  Or at least that's what I think you're trying to say.  I hope so.

Whoever #23 for Union is... gave one of our fans the double bird after the game.  But it's ok.  Our fan deserved it.  He was being out of line.  Pretty sure he was related somehow to the aforementioned #7.

11 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I'm a man of my word... I'll keep the avatar till midnight next Friday night.  Lol

I'm glad more than anything we earned your respect tonight.  Or at least that's what I think you're trying to say.  I hope so.

Whoever #23 for Union is... gave one of our fans the double bird after the game.  But it's ok.  Our fan deserved it.  He was being out of line.  Pretty sure he was related somehow to the aforementioned #7.

That's unlike him. Although I guess everyone has their breaking point. Either way both are to Blame. The fan and the Player in my opinion. 

Yeah, we had some pretty bad fans tonight.... I was embarrassed to be sitting in the section over from them.  :(

I'm a Union fan when it doesn't involve the Pack.  Tonight has made me eager to see what we could do against the rest of 2A Region D's elite.  Hopefully we can get a crack at Richlands or Graham or Union again in the playoffs.  I'd be all for it.

1 minute ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Yeah, we had some pretty bad fans tonight.... I was embarrassed to be sitting in the section over from them.  :(

I'm a Union fan when it doesn't involve the Pack.  Tonight has made me eager to see what we could do against the rest of 2A Region D's elite.  Hopefully we can get a crack at Richlands or Graham or Union again in the playoffs.  I'd be all for it.

Trust me. I'd come to the Ridge to see a rematch tomorrow night if I could. It was entertaining! 

2 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Well we can't be positive I won just yet! lol. Although I'd be shocked if any single player had 75 rush yards for RV. The Union rush defense is absolutely nasty. 

Has RV had that much success in return game all year? Talk about lightning in a bottle. To be able to flip the field and work from (in one case EXTREMELY short, the 2yd line) short fields. Falin is a phenomenal kicker but it was almost like the deep kicks played right into RVs game. RV dominated special teams. The returns, blocking the PAT, punting away from 82 as well as having Union botch a punt. It's clear RV is extremely well coached (although I was shocked to see a RV player get multiple personal fouls. That's something I'd never seen under Mullins). I thought the two helmet to helmet/targeting calls were correct, the first being obvious and the second was too just harder to see. If you couldn't see from the opposing stands, he made contact to Jenkins head unnecessarily. Both teams really helped the other with big penalties

2 hours ago, HowTheWestWasWon2017 said:

John Battle 61, Lebanon 21

Lee 57, Eastside 16

Marion 48, Tazewell 27

Abingdon 29. Christianburg 7

Union 34.  Ridgeview 19

This Mountain District down the road looks tough.  I'm not sure what the opposition is like but I am thinking if scores are any indicators it will be a tough battle for 1st place. 

I am not sure if Marion is in this district but they look like they may be a tough out for anyone this year also.

Would anyone like to put together a prediction for the final standings in the Mountain District this far into the season?  I am not sure who I would pick not being familiar with the teams. It looks like it would be a close race though.  That's some points being put on the board right there!

Marion is not. It's Union, RV, GC, Lee, WC, Abington, Battle. 

7 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

#7 for RV is a good kid. I'm sure Unions 23 is too. I didn't see Unions 23 flip anybody off but In the handshake line instead of saying good game heard him say F ya'll to several of our players. Some RV fans were on the refs pretty hard, I didn't think they did a great job with a couple of things but it got to be too much. Unions D is tough. We're not great or anything but we absolutely couldn't move the ball against them. Don't think Mitchell is the answer at QB although he played it pretty good. 

Not saying Ridgeview is not improved at all. The pack only had 120 yards total offense if Union cleans up the kickoff coverage Ridgeview only crossed the 50 one time. And scores only twice but that's why you play the game. I don't think the Adkins kid had 20 yards and most of that came late in the 4th. And we will be fine with Mitchell at qb and bringing in 21 to run that bulldog offense. Just my two cents no disrespect intended at all the pack is surely getting better.

Union did have some miscues that could have added a couple of more scores to the board, but this year's  'Pack was by far the most solid team they've had since consolidating. Played tough, didn't quit, consistent in all 3 phases.

And based on the competitive nature of the game,  I feel the potential for a good rivalry is building and well underway.