Giles vs Narrows

nrv_football

Thoughts on this game? Who wins? Predictions 

Narrows looks like a pretty good team this year. I think this will be a really close game. Giles has a good offensive line and that line will wear the defense down in the 2nd half. I am concerned with the defense however. Giles 28 Narrows 21

Narz seems to come out a lot more fired up for this game than the Giles players. So Giles sometimes start slow then wake up to realize they are in a fight, then usually pull away in the end. If Narz has any passing game, they may hang in there. Giles  is young on defense but play the run pretty well. I think Giles may throw a little early, just to see what's there. I'll take Giles 28-13.

While Narrows has had an easy schedule they are still whooping the teams they are playing. If all 3 games were close then I would say that Narrows doesn't stand a chance but I will at least give them credit for dominating those 3 teams which shows that they do have some talent. It'll be close in the first but I think that Giles will pull away by 3-4 tds by the 4th.

I don't see any full back on Giles roster that looks like they would make a significant difference in what they have now. Not really a true full back on the team right now. Face it, that offense will only go as far as the line and Bieldleman can take it This year.

9 minutes ago, Stranger danger said:

I don't see any full back on Giles roster that looks like they would make a significant difference in what they have now. Not really a true full back on the team right now. Face it, that offense will only go as far as the line and Bieldleman can take it This year.

It doesn't necessarily have to be an athlete that plays the full back role. Last year we switched our wingback and tailback and it made a huge difference. Beidleman is definitely running the ball harder this season so he deserves the tailback spot. Giles has some good athletes at the freshman and sophomore levels. Ratcliffe is a backup tailback but he is athletic enough to play fullback, tailback, or wingback. I would give him a shot at fullback and see what he can do. 

49 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

Just curious, since I don't know much about the Giles Single Wing, what type of athlete is best suited for the fullback position? Is it any different from the fullback in the I or T formations? Thanks 

Just like most fullbacks you gotta be powerful and have some quickness to hit the holes as well as block for the tailback.  I think Giles only has 1 play where the full back takes it outside, the rest is straight up the middle.

24 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Just like most fullbacks you gotta be powerful and have some quickness to hit the holes as well as block for the tailback.  I think Giles only has 1 play where the full back takes it outside, the rest is straight up the middle.

I wouldn't go around telling people! lol

4 hours ago, SW_VA_boy said:

Same playbook been run in Giles Co. since 1930.  It isn't what you run.  It's whether you execute it.   99.9% of the time, they do.

You're aren't aware of the concept of being facetious? 

Giles has ran the same offense as long as anyone can remember, but now it is a surprising offense because no one else usually runs a single wing or even an option based attack from under center. I think it was easier to defend in the 70s than now as kids practiced against that style a lot. Now, it's tough to prepare a team for that attack in a week if it's executed well with good athletes and a strong push at the LOS. If it's not executed well or if the OL can't at least maintain the LOS it gets blew up quick and it's useless but teams like Giles (and Clarke Co. I believe? I know some other teams run a similar style attack, I'm exaggerating) usually do it well and makes it harder to stop if the defense doesn't really concentrate on it's keys. 

They execute it 100% of the time, it's their offense? It's not successful 100%, or 99.9% of the time because basically no offense is that successful or they'd score on every drive. 

I'm not trying to be a dick, I just thought the intent of my post was clear. I don't think anyone in SWVA isn't aware Giles runs like 10 offensive plays. 

I think it could be a close game. Narrows is strong up front and big. Usually great recipe against Giles. Giles of course has played much more talented teams as opposed to Narrows but Narrows has also beat those teams like they should have. I think a lot depends on which mindset Giles boys want to come out with. If they have some fight in them and play like they did second half against Graham, Giles should win by two scores. If play like they did first half I think Narrows is good enough to beat them. 

1 hour ago, SWVAgridiron said:

I'm almost certain that Giles comes out much more focused than last year. Giles was much better than Narrows last season but we came out flat and with the bye week we was underestimating them.

We haven't come out ready to play in any game so far this year...who knows