Gate City @ Daniel Boone

Jason

3 hours ago, Grapeape said:

No facilities upgrades of any kind for GC sports since 1997. Not trying to highjack the thread, but GC has the worst overall (basketball, volleyball, baseball, track, softball) facilities around. The visitor's side of Legion was condemned in 2015. The SB's sports complex decision might have something to with that. I know for a fact that when South's current HC interviewed, he recommended to the AD that he stop showing candidates the facilities.

You know nothing! Hiding behind a computer screen calling people bums what a big man you are.

14 hours ago, Grapeape said:

Can't speak on the kid's reaction, but blaming it on a former coach is just dumb. GC's coach is a bum, and the mess is all his. Attitude reflects leadership. The problem starts with the SB and the AD - also bums. Acres was the only man that would take the job; no one else wanted it after 1. Meeting GC's esteemed AD & 2. seeing GC's crumbling facilities. GC finishes 2017 either 1-9 or 0-10, depending on how they play against Lee.

I've talked to Ridgeview coaches who say Lee is the second best team in the district... better than Abingdon.

Sounds like some of the views on here are more personal in nature, based more on emotion than fact. If something was condemned it would not be in use(too much liability)and if the weight room is in need of upgrading , maybe you boosters could help, hell contact TERRY KILGORE,he should be able to get you some grant money from the tobacco fund.COACHING staffs can change every year(look at LEE COUNTY) and your program will suffer, programs need stability ,look at APPOMATTOX,GLENVER,SALEM,RICHLANDS,GILES AND UNION, the one thing that brought success to these programs was is this "one coach"for a long time

12 hours ago, Grapeape said:

No facilities upgrades of any kind for GC sports since 1997. Not trying to highjack the thread, but GC has the worst overall (basketball, volleyball, baseball, track, softball) facilities around. The visitor's side of Legion was condemned in 2015. The SB's sports complex decision might have something to with that. I know for a fact that when South's current HC interviewed, he recommended to the AD that he stop showing candidates the facilities.

Facilities aren't the problem and they certainly aren't going to help the current talent level. Talent in small towns is cyclical and the last few years there just hasn't been enough to be competitive on the football field. 

Why would a sports complex have anything to do with upgrades to a facility?  I would think that if you had money to build a little sports complex you can get money to upgrade facilities at your schools. I am sure that the people in charge of the schools use their money wisely down there. Sometimes the money just isn't available. School systems tend to use the money they are given to help their schools and teachers first. That is the purpose of it anyway.  Reading this thread you would think that the athletics at Gate City is on the way down. Many people tend to over react more than they should. I am sure as always the football program is still the most popular program down there. It is the only thing I ever heard about from my friends at Tech who ever played at the school or against the school in football. I am not sure what your parent situation is like.  As far as sports, I am sure the school is going through a down cycle. Wait until the studs graduate in basketball.  I am sure there will be all kinds of talk on the basketball thread about the same things. 

23 minutes ago, HowTheWestWasWon2017 said:

Why would a sports complex have anything to do with upgrades to a facility?  I would think that if you had money to build a little sports complex you can get money to upgrade facilities at your schools. I am sure that the people in charge of the schools use their money wisely down there. Sometimes the money just isn't available. School systems tend to use the money they are given to help their schools and teachers first. That is the purpose of it anyway.  Reading this thread you would think that the athletics at Gate City is on the way down. Many people tend to over react more than they should. I am sure as always the football program is still the most popular program down there. It is the only thing I ever heard about from my friends at Tech who ever played at the school or against the school in football. I am not sure what your parent situation is like.  As far as sports, I am sure the school is going through a down cycle. Wait until the studs graduate in basketball.  I am sure there will be all kinds of talk on the basketball thread about the same things. 

He's referring to the purchase of property to build a sports complex, that can't be accessed, for $2 million +. It has turned into a boondoggle. A planned VDOT road that would have given access to the property never materialized. Thus, it sits....unused. This was viewed as a huge waste of money that could have been better spent elsewhere. This was also prior to the downturn in the economy, so now there is no money for anything.

http://www.timesnews.net/News/2015/04/05/Scott-County-s-Field-of-Dreams-now-a-long-running-nightmare

At this time, I would say the boys basketball program is the most popular sport at GC. 

The basketball is going to be fine, even after Mac is gone. Coach V has a nice program going and they will be competitive in the region for several more years. The football and girls basketball are down, but football is the money maker. The situation with football will get worse before it gets better.

Interest in football isn't all that great right now and I'm not talking about high school alone. Our travel teams this year barley have enough to play. 8U has 12 kids, 10U 13 kids and 12U 12 kids. With the way football has evolved the Travel league is where these kids will learn to defend formations like the spread and defend the pass. Morristown's 10U team came out in the spread throwing deep against GC last Saturday. That little QB was as good as some high school qbs I have seen. We need more interest in this league and our little league and it will help at the HS level in the long run. The talent is at GC but not all are on the football team. 

Hay Grapeape, why don't you use your real name????could it be because you are one of the ones run off by the present staff, and as far as assaulting children, no one condoned that, I just told you what would have happened back in the day, Fry, Tom Turner,Cummins, etc.

Hey Jarhead, why don't you stop suggesting great men like Fry, Turner, and Cummins were child abusers? It's frankly the most idiotic \ insulting thing I've ever seen posted on here. If I was a mod, I'd boot your sorry butt. If you don't like what I post, quit having someone read it to you! 

16 hours ago, Grapeape said:

Hey Jarhead, why don't you stop suggesting great men like Fry, Turner, and Cummins were child abusers? It's frankly the most idiotic \ insulting thing I've ever seen posted on here. If I was a mod, I'd boot your sorry butt. If you don't like what I post, quit having someone read it to you! 

Too funny, your not a "mod" your not even a man. Anyone who played for these men know they were not child abusers but you knew that they commanded respect, did we always agree...no but our opinions didn't count, you know kinda like yours

36 yards of offense. 

2 first downs. 

Calling a timeout on 4th and 8 deep in your own territory, then fake it. (Genius!!! They'll never see that coming!!!) 

Injured players playing on phones during game.

Injured players and reserves laughing and cutting up during butt stomping. 

Whispers about the coaching from players after the game. 

I believe we have officially drove the last nail in the coffin tonight. 

You know it's bad when fans start leaving before the 4th qtr even starts. 

Welcome to the new norm of Gate City football! 

10 hours ago, TTownTigers said:

Grillin and Chillin and Ready for Some Action.  I change my pick.  Screw it.  Gate City wins 28-17.  Give em he%* Big Blue Cannonball!!!!!!!!

I'll take what you're drinking! Make it a double, I need it after what I saw tonight. And believe me, it's not just LHL who is upset. The people around me that I don't even know, were letting the insults and heckles fly at Akers and Company tonight. 

8 hours ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

36 yards of offense. 

2 first downs. 

Calling a timeout on 4th and 8 deep in your own territory, then fake it. (Genius!!! They'll never see that coming!!!) 

Injured players playing on phones during game.

Injured players and reserves laughing and cutting up during butt stomping. 

Whispers about the coaching from players after the game. 

I believe we have officially drove the last nail in the coffin tonight. 

You know it's bad when fans start leaving before the 4th qtr even starts. 

Welcome to the new norm of Gate City football! 

This is, for me,  the most upsetting aspect: the acceptance by players of losing. When I look at my Facebook feed after a 35-0 drubbing and see players posing for pictures with big grins on their faces it makes me sick. No idea how to fix it; ya'll tell me. Maybe Jarhead was right. 

On to Union, I guess...