Virginia High @ Wise Central

V-Cats

The Cats were a couple plays short of beating Tn. High last week. They outgained, won time of possession, and were frankly more physical than Tn. High. Those things almost never happen in that rivalry. It's really no fluke that they went to Big Stone and played Union tough. I know that Union is the better team, but most VHS teams in the last 2+ decades would be down 30 or more at the half to this years' Union team. I believe they have made a huge upgrade to their offense by giving their defensive captain some serious carries in the backfield. He has started generating some interest from a few schools at the next level. He destroyed Tn. High's defense with his downhill running style. He only received a carry or two against Union, and  I think only one against Tazewell. He's usually used for short yardage, but if you watch his Hudl, he had a chance to show his above average speed to go along with his power. From what I understand, he will be included more on the offense from this point on. Cats bounce back with a big win.

Cats 42

WC 13

3 hours ago, V-Cats said:

Both of these teams have the potential to be darkhorses in 2A Region D, both have electrifying QBs (Mullins and Lathrop)

Should be a fun matchup, thoughts?

I love Jamie at QB, he just needs to clean the turnover issue up. He fumbled at the VHS 8 yd line at Union on the first series of the game, and has subsequently thrown 2 INTs in each game against Tazewell, JSB, and Tn. High. 7 turnovers in 3 and a half games is not a good number. He will be fine though. He is a good athlete, who's learning the QB position.

34 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

I think VHS takes this by 42-21 type score. I was really impressed by the Bearcats' QB, DBs, and receivers.

Their offense should be even stronger now, with adding #2 from his MLB spot to giving him more carries on O. They still won't be on Union's level, but he definitely adds a new dimension, offensively.

If you go back and watch film of the benefit game, he is the one who absolutely stonewalled Zirkle in a one on one matchup on 3rd and short. The only carry I remember him having in that game, was on a 3rd and short, where he barrelled over the blitzing LB for a 4 or 5 yd gain to convert. May have been the Cats' longest run of the night lol. He may have had one other where Stidham broke thru and swallowed him for no gain, but I can't remember if that was his carry or not.

From what I've been told, the coaching staff has always believed that he was the best option at RB, but with his responsibility on D, and playing on all of the special teams units, they limited his carries in the first couple of games, to give him a break. He and our QB were the only backs that we had last week, against Tn. High, that could match their athleticism. We have another RB who is a lightning fast soccer player who does great on the edge but doesn't really break many tackles.

His Hudl says he's 6'0 200lbs. He runs violently, and I've been told that he's a workout warrior in the weight room. I do know that he's a good kid and that he has a couple of FCS visits lined up.

Central is 0 and 12 in the last 5 years I've been to their games. I'll be there tonight and the streak will continue. 6 to 0 Wise Central last week when I arrived at the the Ridgeview game. Ridgeview out scores them 28 to 0. We leave and Central scores again. With that I'll go 34-13 Bearcats.

8 hours ago, hit4dough said:

Central is 0 and 12 in the last 5 years I've been to their games. I'll be there tonight and the streak will continue. 6 to 0 Wise Central last week when I arrived at the the Ridgeview game. Ridgeview out scores them 28 to 0. We leave and Central scores again. With that I'll go 34-13 Bearcats.

Pretty close! Good guess.

My take on the game tonight was that Central's O-Line came to play! The VHS defense spent A LOT of time on the field tonight because Wise refused to punt. I didn't keep count but I swear it seemed like Wise went for it on 4th down 7 or 8 times and converted quite a few of them. The Mullins kid is a ballplayer. VHS just made too many plays for Wise to keep pace. Good luck to WC the rest of the way.