Unofficial official rivalries

Battleborn

What are some schools that your school has a unoffical official rivalry with? For battle i would say that it would be Gate City usally its not a close game except for a few recent ones and a win in 2012 but in every sport Battle wants to beat gate city with all their hearts haha 

2 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

no doubt UNION vs RICHLANDS,UNION vs WALMART WARRIORS,and UNION vs GATE CITY ALWAYS A GOOD GAME.

Union vs. Central would be an official official rivalry though wouldn't it... country rivals?

The way you Union folks talk about Letcher County Central, I would think that would be an unofficial official rivalry, since things get chippy every time you guys play.

I dont see UNION VS LETCHER going beyond next year, too much BS with the refs over there and the BS with the racial slurr at BIG STONE the year before. BETSY would be a much better game.As far as CENTRAL there is just bad blood there , goes back to the PV VS KELLY days, we just dont like one another.

Central is not a rival to Union in football, official or unofficial. They want us to be, but it isn't. Same with Lee. Don't get me wrong, we want to beat them both, but Union's RIVALS are Gate City and Richlands. I thought we were going to have a good one going against Sullivan North, but they dropped us. The way things have gone with them it would have most likely fizzled though.

Letcher is a different situation. The ONLY thing that has made this game interesting for 3 years has been the officiating and "chippyness" on their part.

I think Ridgeview has potential to be a rivalry game based on the history between Clintwood and Appy, PV, AND Union. Central and Lee could always turn into one, but they will need to get competitive year in and out.

When you look at a fresh schedule at the beginning of a cycle to see when certain games are to be sure NOTHING hinders your attendance.....THAT is a rivalry, official, unofficial, under the table, whatever...

Richlands/Union of course became a friendly rivalry very quickly

Richlands/Virginia High had potential (see 2013) and certainly those who remember the '87 game would say it's never stopped being a rivalry (http://bit.ly/2fl9c0s)

From a personal standpoint, I've always hated this game because I consider my fandom to be equal between the schools, regardless of the flak I've gotten for that

Central is a rivalry in that there is some bad blood. As far as the quality of both teams in football, it's not even close though there have been a few close games. By and large, Central's skills do not come close to Union.

Does Central still have their Union hate week?

Gate City and Union would be a better example of a rivalry. Bad blood leftover from the pre-consolidation days. Skill level of both teams is typically even though the pendulum has swung toward Union's advantage since 2015. GC plays Union tough nonetheless. 

Union and Richlands is rivalry because of the barn burners produced. Not really any bad blood at all though. More of a skill rivalry. 

Galax biggest rival has and always will be Grayson.  City school vs county school thing.

I can see the Galax vs George Wythe rivalry blossoming into something special though.  Two very proud, successful athletic programs now playing in the same district should make for some exciting games, regardless of sport.

4 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Richlands vs Union and Bluefield would be my guess outside of the county rivals. 

I would also add that Gate City would be in there also.  Much respect between the 2 and a barometer of what each team might have to start that particular season.

1 hour ago, Falcon Mania said:

Abingdon and Virginia High.. Kind of a rivalry I guess due to proximity.  More so in Baseball.  Football has been dominated by the Falcons in recent years.  but still a bit of a rivalry there.

Since moving to the mountain district we don't really have a district rival yet. 

I would still call it a rivalry. They have played over 80 times. Definitely more heated in baseball because of the amount of success each has had over the last couple of decades. Football seems to have gone in cycles during that time. One school kinda goes on a streak for a while, then it's the other's turn.

5 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Central is not a rival to Union in football, official or unofficial. They want us to be, but it isn't.

Central's rival will always be J.I. Burton. They should still be playing against each other every year. Maybe once Wise gets some new leadership they will bring it back. 

7 hours ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Giles' biggest rival right now is Glenvar. It use to be Radford before they fell off a little. I'd still consider Radford a big rival game but not as big as Glenvar now.

Narrows is still our rival but since they haven't beaten us since 2002 is it really a rivalry anymore?

Can the Waves do something tomorrow night that hasn't been done since 2002 and make this a rivalry again is the question

5 minutes ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

I would say that Central is one of Unions rivals just because of how bad everyone at Union wants to beat them in everything possible. 

Definitely a rivalry due to bad blood. In some sports, like Girls Basketball, it is definitely more in favor of Central. Football is definitely in Union's favor compared to Central. 

The Union/Central rivalry is definitely not a skill rivalry in football. A bad blood rivalry? Definitely. 

2 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Narrows is still our rival but since they haven't beaten us since 2002 is it really a rivalry anymore?

Can the Waves do something tomorrow night that hasn't been done since 2002 and make this a rivalry again is the question

Yea I was referring to out of county rival, but I agree it really isn't a rivalry, these games have been boring with the exception of last year. I hope it's a good game, will be the biggest crowd at Giles since Richlands and Riverheads in 2013

5 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I don't know how Abingdon feels about them... but I am pretty sure that Gate City doesn't like Abingdon, especially when it comes to hoops season.

Can't speak for everyone but I don't dislike Abingdon. I pull some for them when not playing GC.