Unofficial official rivalries

Battleborn

For Graham...

Bluefield

Tazewell

Richlands

Gate City (on again/off again relationship started in the SWD days and has never really died even though the two don't play very often now)

Radford (87-93...the two teams played 10 times in 7 years)

Galax (while Graham was in the MED)

Giles (since the two have been playing in the regular season)

And...

James Monroe...even though they've never played, I know for a fact the Monroe Co. folks would love a piece of Graham...

Richlands and.... everybody.  During my formative years it seemed that every opponent was particularly hostile to us (even when we weren't particularly good -- which didn't make much sense).  But maybe that was just the nature of the old SWD.

The hatred of Richlands was somewhat understandable in basketball.  During the successful stretch beginning in 1982/83 we were beating teams more often than not.  And at home games we had a student section (the Krazy Korner) that was deliberately obnoxious.  But sometimes we were on the receiving end of animosity from sources that also didn't immediately make a lot of sense -- specifically Virginia High, Lebanon (although that subsided once they moved from the old gym in Cleveland), and Patrick Henry.

Otherwise there were specific sports and programs that had particular rivals.  Probably like everyone else, Grundy was the primary target in wrestling (although that was probably one sided because the Golden Wave usually had bigger fish to fry than any of us).  Band (yeah, seriously) bore some specific animosity toward John Battle and Pulaski County.  Graham was usually the measuring stick for both tennis teams.  And although it's not a specific example per se, our performance in the Coppinger Tournament was always a big deal in baseball.

Tazewell was always the main rival in all sports.  Graham and Grundy (due to proximity and long histories with each) were also targets of widespread scorn.  But the fun thing about those rivalries was that as much as we would beat the tar out of each other on the field/court and absolutely hated the thought of losing to those guys, we all had pretty good friendships outside of the actual contests and rivalries.  (And on a personal note, I still crack up when I remember how Cary Perkins would make a big show of turning off his hearing aids before he approached the free throw line.)

"And although it's not a specific example per se, our performance in the Coppinger Tournament was always a big deal in baseball."

The coppinger thing started back when I was playing for the Blues back in 76/77 when we got thrown out of the tournament because of what we thought was a disputed homerun..  We thought the ball hit the top of the wall and bounced all the way back to us in the infield,  they called it a homerun.  The homeplate ump said the ball hit a light pole behind the fence and bounced back to the infield.  ( it actually hit the wall )  Altizer lost his mind ( which he would do from time to time ) and they threw us out...........not just of the game,  but the tournament for a couple of years !  

So we had a rival in the Coppinger for a while.  They finally let the Blues back in the tournament a couple of years later.

15 minutes ago, Bigrhsfan said:

" Altizer lost his mind ( which he would do from time to time )"

Say it ain't so!

Johnny is one of the finest gentlemen I've ever had a chance to know, and his family and mine have been the dearest of friends for as long as I've been on this earth.  But I have to confess that I always enjoyed it just a little bit when he got really wound up.  That must have been a particularly great episode -- sorry I missed it (or simply don't recall it).

18 minutes ago, Bigrhsfan said:

and they threw us out...........not just of the game,  but the tournament for a couple of years !  

So we had a rival in the Coppinger for a while.  They finally let the Blues back in the tournament a couple of years later.

Oh, and this is just more proof to my previous point that everyone seemed to have an irrational hatred of Richlands.  Not being paranoid in hindsight -- the whole world was actually conspiring against us.  :-)

Great stuff, Bigrhsfan!

25 minutes ago, RichlandsAlum said:

Say it ain't so!

Johnny is one of the finest gentlemen I've ever had a chance to know, and his family and mine have been the dearest of friends for as long as I've been on this earth.  But I have to confess that I always enjoyed it just a little bit when he got really wound up.  That must have been a particularly great episode -- sorry I missed it (or simply don't recall it).

I totally agree with you about coach Altizer........off the field,  but on the field,  he could be a "bit" tempramental at times....lol.  I think most of the guys that were on that team could confirm that.  Those were the 1st 2 years that the Blues started playing baseball again,  and it was tough at times.........but the best times of my life !  I especially thought a lot of coach Perilinni ( cannot spell his name at all )  so I'll call him coach P.  Any of the guys who knew him and played for him...loved him.....great guy and great coach !

Trust me,  it happened.  There may be some that were there that may think the homerun was legit,  and some that didn't,  but it did happen and the Blues were not allowed back to the Cppinger for a year or 2 after that.  We were pullled off the field and put on the buses and home we went.....lol

4 hours ago, RichlandsAlum said:

Richlands and.... everybody.  During my formative years it seemed that every opponent was particularly hostile to us (even when we weren't particularly good -- which didn't make much sense).  But maybe that was just the nature of the old SWD.

The hatred of Richlands was somewhat understandable in basketball.  During the successful stretch beginning in 1982/83 we were beating teams more often than not.  And at home games we had a student section (the Krazy Korner) that was deliberately obnoxious.  But sometimes we were on the receiving end of animosity from sources that also didn't immediately make a lot of sense -- specifically Virginia High, Lebanon (although that subsided once they moved from the old gym in Cleveland), and Patrick Henry.

Otherwise there were specific sports and programs that had particular rivals.  Probably like everyone else, Grundy was the primary target in wrestling (although that was probably one sided because the Golden Wave usually had bigger fish to fry than any of us).  Band (yeah, seriously) bore some specific animosity toward John Battle and Pulaski County.  Graham was usually the measuring stick for both tennis teams.  And although it's not a specific example per se, our performance in the Coppinger Tournament was always a big deal in baseball.

Tazewell was always the main rival in all sports.  Graham and Grundy (due to proximity and long histories with each) were also targets of widespread scorn.  But the fun thing about those rivalries was that as much as we would beat the tar out of each other on the field/court and absolutely hated the thought of losing to those guys, we all had pretty good friendships outside of the actual contests and rivalries.  (And on a personal note, I still crack up when I remember how Cary Perkins would make a big show of turning off his hearing aids before he approached the free throw line.)

It's a funny thing how it was the same for us.  Didn't matter if you lost all other games just beat Richlands.  One year Richlands was our only win in football 12-10 02 or 03 I think.  We sucked but we won the most important game.

Odd bit is never had a terrible experience with Richlands people just in school there was always the feeling of we hate them no matter what.  Only half way bad thing is some fans called me out when I sat on their side and said why don't you sit on your own side.  I said look over there do you see any seats?  Other than a few dirty looks that was about all.

23 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

It's a funny thing how it was the same for us.  Didn't matter if you lost all other games just beat Richlands.  One year Richlands was our only win in football 12-10 02 or 03 I think.  We sucked but we won the most important game.

Odd bit is never had a terrible experience with Richlands people just in school there was always the feeling of we hate them no matter what.  Only half way bad thing is some fans called me out when I sat on their side and said why don't you sit on your own side.  I said look over there do you see any seats?  Other than a few dirty looks that was about all.

Had all kinds of friends from Tazewell (and still do, come to that).  Also never really had any bad experiences with anyone there.  Interacted frequently with Bulldog folk on a social level throughout my growing up years.  Have no problem whatsoever cheering for THS in any sport at the playoff level.  (Still just as proud as anyone of that '86 state championship earned by the 'Dawgs -- and I was even back then.)  Overall I recognize that it's still a great community and there are several folks there (and from there) that I will always love dearly.

But would I ever consider sending my own kids to school at THS?  Never.  Never in a million years.  

A very strange and highly nuanced level of hatred, to be sure.

1 hour ago, Dookthecook said:

Tom Walker and Lee.   The generals can't take Ewing!

Only in basketball, I was fortunate to beat them at their best. The year before their final four run.

However the benefit game format must change or the games will end.

1 hour ago, RichlandsAlum said:

Had all kinds of friends from Tazewell (and still do, come to that).  Also never really had any bad experiences with anyone there.  Interacted frequently with Bulldog folk on a social level throughout my growing up years.  Have no problem whatsoever cheering for THS in any sport at the playoff level.  (Still just as proud as anyone of that '86 state championship earned by the 'Dawgs -- and I was even back then.)  Overall I recognize that it's still a great community and there are several folks there (and from there) that I will always love dearly.

But would I ever consider sending my own kids to school at THS?  Never.  Never in a million years.  

A very strange and highly nuanced level of hatred, to be sure.

Kind of like how we always called kids that transferred there traitors. That was even if the family just moved and no sports involved. When we got a transfer from Richlands everybody always gave them a "rough" time lol

10 minutes ago, TwhscoachT said:

Only in basketball, I was fortunate to beat them at their best. The year before their final four run.

However the benefit game format must change or the games will end.

Lee's never made it to the final four on the boys side.  One State quarter appearance in 2011, a few Region semifinal bouts.  The team that finished 21-3 in 2003 were thumped by Martinsville in the Regional semis.

5 minutes ago, Beamerball said:

Lee's never made it to the final four on the boys side.  One State quarter appearance in 2011, a few Region semifinal bouts.  The team that finished 21-3 in 2003 were thumped by Martinsville in the Regional semis.

Quarters then. College distracts you in more ways than one.

On 9/15/2017 at 10:49 AM, RichlandsAlum said:

Say it ain't so!

I would reply to this statement, but my momma always said, "If you don't have something nice to say about someone, then don't say it at all."  :p