Central' QB

mw0729

1 hour ago, Blue_Crue said:

That should have been flagged. Kid led with shoulder. 

Sorry man, I have to disagree. That is not an illegal block. I know 2 VHSL referees personally, and I sent them the very link that Union_Fan provided. Both confirmed that it does not fall under a "blindside" or "crack back" block that governing bodies of high school football across the country are trying to eliminate.

I'm not being a smart-ass or trying to start something. I'm repeating the words of two officials. It was a physical play that had a bad outcome for Mullins. If the officials had told me it was illegal, I would have gladly apologized to Jonah58.

Its a peel back block. The offensive player clearly leads with his shoulder blindsiding the defensive player. Had the offensive player led with hands it is legal. He did not, he led with his shoulder peeling back hitting the player. You can even see on the play that the offensive player has to come across the body of the defensive player so it was a blindside. I have no dog in the race. Not child at Va High. Dont live or root for Central. It clearly is a blind side block. You can tell because the offensive player had to fight to get his head across the defensive player meaning.....it came from behind or....THE BLINDSIDE.

Guys just watched the play and that is a football play and no he didn't even go to the ground. But in 2017 that is illegal. This is the rule "

The definition of a blindside block established by the committee is “a block against an opponent other than the runner, who does not see th We may not like and it is too late now for the Mullins kide blocker approaching,” and now results in a 15-yard penalty.

The committee stated that the blindside block “involves contact by a blocker against an opponent who, because of physical positioning and focus of concentration, is vulnerable to injury. Unless initiated with open hands, it is a foul for excessive and unnecessary contact when the block is forceful and outside of the free-blocking zone.” It is too late now for the Mullins kid and would not have changed the injury had a flag beeen thrown but it was illegal. Not cheap just illegal.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. I will just have to side with the officials I asked.

I do appreciate the discussion though, without any more bitterness. Discussing something we all have an obvious passion for is much better, sans bitterness.

2 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

It’s illegal. The new rule clearly states you have to lead with OPEN HANDS, and it is 100% clear that he did not. I don’t like the rule, but it’s 100% illegal. And there’s a certain official I know that agrees. 

No disrespect intended, but as I stated earlier, I also asked a couple officials. It seems that we now have officials in disagreement. To be perfectly honest, there are blocks made by offensive players, that defensive players don't see coming, where the offensive player didn't lead with their hands, on the majority of the plays in ANY game. I'm willing to bet that if Mullins was not injured, this is not even a discussion.

3 minutes ago, Bearcat Dad said:

No disrespect intended, but as I stated earlier, I also asked a couple officials. It seems that we now have officials in disagreement. To be perfectly honest, there are blocks made by offensive players, that defensive players don't see coming, where the offensive player didn't lead with their hands, on the majority of the plays in ANY game. I'm willing to bet that if Mullins was not injured, this is not even a discussion.

I don’t have a dog in the fight. I’m just saying that if you go by the letter of the law, it’s an illegal hit now. Whether any of us like it or not, that’s how the rule works now. 

3 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

I don’t have a dog in the fight. I’m just saying that if you go by the letter of the law, it’s an illegal hit now. Whether any of us like it or not, that’s how the rule works now. 

I understand and I'm pretty sure that any of us would be hard pressed to find someone who does like the rule. I have tried to leave my feeling for the rule, out of my opinion on it. That's why I asked the officials I know, because when this topic started being discussed, the description of the block in the initial argument of the block being illegal, started changing from that particular poster. Even with his changing of his description of the block, I had a little doubt creep in. I would have eaten a big plate of crow in front of everyone had even one of the officials had told me that it was illegal.

Again, the only thing that really matters is that we keep the kid in our prayers. Tough way to end your high school football career.

I hate this rule it's just football to me.  If i was in the players shoes (well cleats) from VA High I would have probaly made the same block. The way they got it set up now that is a illegal block.  I don't like the rule I hate that the kid got hurt he has been hurt for 2 years it's a shame such a good player.  

11 hours ago, Bearcat Dad said:

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. I will just have to side with the officials I asked.

I do appreciate the discussion though, without any more bitterness. Discussing something we all have an obvious passion for is much better, sans bitterness.

If you think someone disagreeing with you is "bitter" then you might be too sensitive for this board. 

I don't like the rule, but I stated it earlier and will state it again, that block, which has been legal for 100 years, and was legal in 2016, is not legal in 2017. 

You are the one who said that the block was "in no way shape or form illegal" and that is just flat out wrong. I like those blocks and think they are part of football. Nevertheless, they are illegal this year. Hope you can toughen up a bit.

13 hours ago, Union's hammer said:

Better ? Is why do you still have your star player in a game that was already over.

That was the first thing that went through my mind. Mullins is unarguably the Warriors MVP. Why in the world would you have him in (at least on defense) at that point in the game? 

50 minutes ago, jonah58 said:

If you think someone disagreeing with you is "bitter" then you might be too sensitive for this board. 

I don't like the rule, but I stated it earlier and will state it again, that block, which has been legal for 100 years, and was legal in 2016, is not legal in 2017. 

You are the one who said that the block was "in no way shape or form illegal" and that is just flat out wrong. I like those blocks and think they are part of football. Nevertheless, they are illegal this year. Hope you can toughen up a bit.

You had 12 hours, and that's best that you can come up with? I still have yet to talk to a smart, Internet Tough Guy! If I could draw it out in crayon for you, I would, but since I can't, I'll do my best to explain "bitter" to you. 

I had a few different posters who disagreed with me. I didn't call any of them bitter. I called YOU bitter because of your particular response. We disagreed, that's fine! YOU had to take it a step further, and get personal. YOU were the only one who responded with more than just your opinion on the matter. YOU were the one who tried to say that YOU knew how I would feel if it were my son or one of our players. I call it as I see it, and if YOU would just take a couple of minutes and read the entire post, you would see that everything I just said is 100% true. YOU would also see why I STILL believe that was not an illegal hit. YOU or anyone else can disagree, that fine. It doesn't change my opinion in what the VHSL officials told me.

You have 2 choices;

We can continue discussing this or any other subject on this board in a civil manner, like adults, or.....

YOU can keep getting personal, like a brave, strong, Keyboard Warrior(pun intended) and I'll just end it now.

I have no intentions on continuing the latter. In the short time I've been here, I've seen GMan swing his Great Hammer of Justice. I'm not interested in being part of that. I just want to talk about local high school football with other adults.

Make the choice!

On 09/19/2017 at 8:31 PM, jonah58 said:

Not gonna sit here and argue about an absolute blind side block. If he saw it coming he wouldn't have been hit helmet to helmet in the ear hole. Again.... not saying I agree with the rule, just saying that block is illegal this year. Go back and watch all you want, you will never agree because of your bias. But if it had been your son or one of your players,  guarantee it was illegal.

Is this what upset you honey? Because I said you are bias? I have news for you, you are biased. And so am I,  that is why we root for our own teams. And it's not personal, you just take it that way. If you want to get technical, you are the one who made it personal with the name calling. I never addressed you by any other name. Do you really think I'm trying to be tough by disagreeing with you? That's quite testy. Wonder why you are taking this so personal?  Very strange.

So for the last time, that block, which was legal since time began, of which I think should still be legal, and which was legal in 2016, is ILLEGAL in 2017.

AND the head of the AOA agrees with me. If you want his contact information I will give it to you so you can go melt down on him for a while.

1 hour ago, JDHoss said:

That was the first thing that went through my mind. Mullins is unarguably the Warriors MVP. Why in the world would you have him in (at least on defense) at that point in the game? 

Hard call. I think that was around 6 minutes left and 24-14? Not necessarily out of the game at that point. I've seen larger leads disappear in shorter amount of time. Could go either way with that one.

10 minutes ago, jonah58 said:

Is this what upset you honey? Because I said you are bias? I have news for you, you are biased. And so am I,  that is why we root for our own teams. And it's not personal, you just take it that way. If you want to get technical, you are the one who made it personal with the name calling. I never addressed you by any other name. Do you really think I'm trying to be tough by disagreeing with you? That's quite testy. Wonder why you are taking this so personal?  Very strange.

So for the last time, that block, which was legal since time began, of which I think should still be legal, and which was legal in 2016, is ILLEGAL in 2017.

AND the head of the AOA agrees with me. If you want his contact information I will give it to you so you can go melt down on him for a while.

Ok. I tried. Some people just fail at comprehension and fail at life. YOU seem to fit that mold, tough guy. You can keep going if you want, I'm sure most of the posters on this site are getting a good laugh at your expense. I know I am, thank you!

Good luck to the Warriors (not the Keyboard kind, just the football kind). Hopefully they rally around Mullins and play hard for him the rest of the season

As far as me and you go KW, we're done. Have a good one!

2 minutes ago, Bearcat Dad said:

Ok. I tried. Some people just fail at comprehension and fail at life. YOU seem to fit that mold, tough guy. You can keep going if you want, I'm sure most of the posters on this site are getting a good laugh at you expense. I know I am, thank you!

Good luck to the Warriors (not the Keyboard kind, just the football kind). Hopefully they rally around Mullins and play hard for him the rest of the season

As far as me and you go KW, we're done. Have a good one!

This? I fail at life because I disagree with you? LOL

3 minutes ago, Falcon Mania said:

We get it, Neither of you two agree on the play.  But good lord fellas one of y'all just stop responding to the other before GMan has to intervene.  *Someone run to the concession stand for some popcorn.*  

I did, over an hour ago. 

4 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Where is our very own version of Mike Pereira, 1instripes, when we need him?  He'd be the one to give us the real low down.

Please dont associate me with Mike Pereira.  I was trying to avoid this post to be honest as long as no one asked for me. 

As for the play, from the clip shown I do believe it was an illegal blindside block.  I would like a different angle just to be 100% sure but it does appear to meet the definition of the rule.  

Personally, I will admit that this has been one of the hardest rules I have had to adjust to.  I missed one in a benefit game this year that I knew I should have called in retrospect.  My crew had one in the game Friday night that was in a shared area that one of my crew members flagged and I didnt.  I thought there may have been open hands initiate the block.  He disagreed and we went with it.  I would rather flag something I know 100% than something I am only 50% sure I saw.  He felt 100% about it and that was good enough for me.  I will also say, a flag or not wouldnt have changed the outcome of the young man being hurt so there is no need for anything like that to be brought up by anyone.  That was a veteran crew who worked that game, which I had the pleasure of joining in a state semifinal game 2 seasons ago.  We aren't perfect, but I will say we have some great people who are putting the time in to get better and represent this area well on the field, and hopefully not be a noticeable part of the game.

37 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

Please dont associate me with Mike Pereira.  I was trying to avoid this post to be honest as long as no one asked for me. 

As for the play, from the clip shown I do believe it was an illegal blindside block.  I would like a different angle just to be 100% sure but it does appear to meet the definition of the rule.  

Personally, I will admit that this has been one of the hardest rules I have had to adjust to.  I missed one in a benefit game this year that I knew I should have called in retrospect.  My crew had one in the game Friday night that was in a shared area that one of my crew members flagged and I didnt.  I thought there may have been open hands initiate the block.  He disagreed and we went with it.  I would rather flag something I know 100% than something I am only 50% sure I saw.  He felt 100% about it and that was good enough for me.  I will also say, a flag or not wouldnt have changed the outcome of the young man being hurt so there is no need for anything like that to be brought up by anyone.  That was a veteran crew who worked that game, which I had the pleasure of joining in a state semifinal game 2 seasons ago.  We aren't perfect, but I will say we have some great people who are putting the time in to get better and represent this area well on the field, and hopefully not be a noticeable part of the game.

You're so civil and respectful stripes, how the hell did we end up being friends? 

4 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

Being the respectful person I am, I am able to overlook peoples faults....like being the Bama fan you are.  

See that's the difference. I just pity you UT fans. Giving up a Hail Mary TD to lose a game against that anemic UF offense? You all deserve the pity lolol