Central' QB

mw0729

7 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

Please dont associate me with Mike Pereira.  I was trying to avoid this post to be honest as long as no one asked for me. 

As for the play, from the clip shown I do believe it was an illegal blindside block.  I would like a different angle just to be 100% sure but it does appear to meet the definition of the rule.  

Personally, I will admit that this has been one of the hardest rules I have had to adjust to.  I missed one in a benefit game this year that I knew I should have called in retrospect.  My crew had one in the game Friday night that was in a shared area that one of my crew members flagged and I didnt.  I thought there may have been open hands initiate the block.  He disagreed and we went with it.  I would rather flag something I know 100% than something I am only 50% sure I saw.  He felt 100% about it and that was good enough for me.  I will also say, a flag or not wouldnt have changed the outcome of the young man being hurt so there is no need for anything like that to be brought up by anyone.  That was a veteran crew who worked that game, which I had the pleasure of joining in a state semifinal game 2 seasons ago.  We aren't perfect, but I will say we have some great people who are putting the time in to get better and represent this area well on the field, and hopefully not be a noticeable part of the game.

That is how it's done ladies and gentlemen. The line about the outcome of the play should end the argument. Dalton would still be hurt and his career over. Flag or no flag. Time to look past the trees and enjoy the forest. Well said stripes. 

On 9/20/2017 at 9:04 PM, Bearcat Dad said:

You are correct.

I'm not taking sides. Please don't take this as such. Going from the video, and based on the lame rule change, it was illegal. I screen shot the play in question but was unable to attach it. VHS player never lead with hands. Lowered shoulder. But I'm fine with it. It's football. He could have really lowered the boom on Dalton. But he clearly blocked enough to spring the ball carrier. This rule is stupid and hurting the game. Next the kids will have to set screens like basketball. 

56 minutes ago, BearDawg said:

I'm not taking sides. Please don't take this as such. Going from the video, and based on the lame rule change, it was illegal. I screen shot the play in question but was unable to attach it. VHS player never lead with hands. Lowered shoulder. But I'm fine with it. It's football. He could have really lowered the boom on Dalton. But he clearly blocked enough to spring the ball carrier. This rule is stupid and hurting the game. Next the kids will have to set screens like basketball. 

I don't mind at all to have a civil discussion about this play. As I stated in one of my earlier posts, at first I was completely convinced it was legal, then I had some doubt creep in, then I contacted my referee buddies and asked for their opinions. All posters, with the exception of one, have made respectful contributions to this topic. I appreciate the pics!

I agree that the rule is terrible. Unless a kick goes into the end zone or out of bounds, this rule will be broken almost every kickoff. That doesn't include the times it will happen during offensive drives.

Exactly. I wonder how many arms/wrists/etc are going to get broke by players trying to adapt to hitting with their hands. I'm all for safety of players. Ran a youth program for a decade. I get it. My son broke his neck making a tackle last year. His head was up, but injuries happen. This is a bad rule. Prolly gonna cause more headache than when they put the horse collar rule in. 

29 minutes ago, Dick_Vitale said:

What a train wreck of a thread. In other news, Bearcat Dad has yet to say he is wrong. Stay tuned for next week's episode on "My source is better than your source" 

My opinion has not changed.

Great contribution to the post, though!

You had a chance to fix the trainwreck and failed!

Most posters I've talked to on this site are pretty cool. Word of advice, don't fall into that same trap of being another Keyboard Warrior, who gets his rocks off on talking **** behind their computer. 

The mods do a great job of running this site, but I don't envy them. Its gotta suck to have to deal with some types of people. I'm not saying you're one, but why call a thread a trainwreck, but not try to add to it to make it better? The only poster I've had an issue with so far, accused me of getting upset because he disagreed with me. There are a few who have disagreed with me. I'm not upset in the least. 

There's really nothing left to say on this topic that hasn't already been said on both sides. I've tried a number of times to say the we will just have to agree to disagree.

My opinion hasn't changed because it's just that, my opinion. It's not going to change, but I respect the opinion of the other side. It's also already been established that the important part of this scenario is that we keep Mullins in our thoughts and prayers.

You are giving me advice when I have been around since 2012 as a poster and much longer as a lurker. You have an entire 5 months in on the board. Welcome BTW

I will respect your opinion when there is validation but your argument is similar to 2+2=5. It is wrong. Video+Pic proof you are wrong and you still believe you are correct. That is nuts. 

But hey everyone can believe what they want. Keep on keepin on ole dad.

8 minutes ago, Dick_Vitale said:

You are giving me advice when I have been around since 2012 as a poster and much longer as a lurker. You have an entire 5 months in on the board. Welcome BTW

I will respect your opinion when there is validation but your argument is similar to 2+2=5. It is wrong. Video+Pic proof you are wrong and you still believe you are correct. That is nuts. 

But hey everyone can believe what they want. Keep on keepin on ole dad.

Congrats! 5 years on a message board is unheard of. Thanks for the welcome.

Maybe you should look up the definition to the word OPINION.

Like I've said before, I will side with the guys who get paid and are trained to make this call, not someone on a message board who I don't know.

I will continue to try to be respectful to posters who have something to add. 

Have a good day!

Just now, Bearcat Dad said:

Congrats! 5 years on a message board is unheard of. Thanks for the welcome.

Maybe you should look up the definition to the word OPINION.

Like I've said before, I will side with the guys who get paid and are trained to make this call, not someone on a message board who I don't know.

I will continue to try to be respectful to posters who have something to add. 

Have a good day!

Someone trained and paid to "make this call" did comment in this thread saying the block was illegal.

Your move bearcat Dad

Just now, Dick_Vitale said:

Someone trained and paid to "make this call" did comment in this thread saying the block was illegal.

Your move bearcat Dad

He also said he would like to have another angle and that he doesn't like to make calls unless he's 100% sure.

Checkmate

19 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

Please dont associate me with Mike Pereira.  I was trying to avoid this post to be honest as long as no one asked for me. 

As for the play, from the clip shown I do believe it was an illegal blindside block.  I would like a different angle just to be 100% sure but it does appear to meet the definition of the rule.  

Personally, I will admit that this has been one of the hardest rules I have had to adjust to.  I missed one in a benefit game this year that I knew I should have called in retrospect.  My crew had one in the game Friday night that was in a shared area that one of my crew members flagged and I didnt.  I thought there may have been open hands initiate the block.  He disagreed and we went with it.  I would rather flag something I know 100% than something I am only 50% sure I saw.  He felt 100% about it and that was good enough for me.  I will also say, a flag or not wouldnt have changed the outcome of the young man being hurt so there is no need for anything like that to be brought up by anyone.  That was a veteran crew who worked that game, which I had the pleasure of joining in a state semifinal game 2 seasons ago.  We aren't perfect, but I will say we have some great people who are putting the time in to get better and represent this area well on the field, and hopefully not be a noticeable part of the game.

@Bearcat Dad Idk... maybe I am reading this in a different way but the second line "it does appear to meet the definition of the rule" is a red errr yellow flag to me. Then the "I would like a different angle JUST TO BE 100% SURE" meaning he believes it is illegal. 

Let me know if you need me to break that down further for you. 

What made the block legal though in your opinion?

6 minutes ago, Dick_Vitale said:

@Bearcat Dad Idk... maybe I am reading this in a different way but the second line "it does appear to meet the definition of the rule" is a red errr yellow flag to me. Then the "I would like a different angle JUST TO BE 100% SURE" meaning he believes it is illegal. 

Let me know if you need me to break that down further for you. 

What made the block legal though in your opinion?

Do you seriously not see your self-contradiction? 

I will go ahead and give you a break down first. I will try to use the same crayon I used earlier....

There is either 100% sure or not. Black and white. I have a strong faith in Christ, but it's not 100% percent definite he exists. I believe he does and that he died for my sins. We all find out when we die. It's the same principal as our resident official. He believes it's illegal but he's not 100% sure, which makes it his opinion. I'm not saying that his or your opinion is wrong. I just have a different belief.

I'm not disputing the "leading with the hands" part of the rule. It's the part of whether or not Dalton saw our player or not. ONLY Dalton knows the answer to that for sure. Not you, not me, not ANYONE on this site. I BELIEVE he saw our player at the very last second, because he took a shot and was able to keep from going down. Just my belief. Nobody has to agree with it.

8 minutes ago, Bearcat Dad said:

Do you seriously not see your self-contradiction? 

I will go ahead and give you a break down first. I will try to use the same crayon I used earlier....

There is either 100% sure or not. Black and white. I have a strong faith in Christ, but it's not 100% percent definite he exists. I believe he does and that he died for my sins. We all find out when we die. It's the same principal as our resident official. He believes it's illegal but he's not 100% sure, which makes it his opinion. I'm not saying that his or your opinion is wrong. I just have a different belief.

I'm not disputing the "leading with the hands" part of the rule. It's the part of whether or not Dalton saw our player or not. ONLY Dalton knows the answer to that for sure. Not you, not me, not ANYONE on this site. I BELIEVE he saw our player at the very last second, because he took a shot and was able to keep from going down. Just my belief. Nobody has to agree with it.

Yeah I talked to Dalton that night......he didn't see it coming, at all. And I talked to him yesterday. He didn't change his mind then either.

Well, jonah58... as we all know BearcatDad is a black and white kind of guy. Even though Dalton says he did not see him we still cannot believe him. So BearcatDad sticks to his guns saying no hard no foul in the block. 

Fun banter though BearcatDad. I tip the hat to you sticking to your opinion even when proven 99% incorrect. 

12 minutes ago, Dick_Vitale said:

Well, jonah58... as we all know BearcatDad is a black and white kind of guy. Even though Dalton says he did not see him we still cannot believe him. So BearcatDad sticks to his guns saying no hard no foul in the block. 

Fun banter though BearcatDad. I tip the hat to you sticking to your opinion even when proven 99% incorrect. 

He's mad at me because I said he was biased. I guess I was sooooooo wrong on that too......