Tazewell at Bluefield

GMan

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 1:43 PM, Bluefield researcher said:

Bluefield's third team is better than Tazewell.  That would be the only reason 63 gets put on the board.

No, Bluefield's third team is actually......not better than Tazewell's starters.  That would be in my opinion......be either hyperbole or.false.

On 9/18/2017 at 9:39 AM, UVAObserver said:

I'd have a lot more respect for Bluefield's fans if they just owned it.  "Yeah, Freddy really didn't need to score 86 on Wyoming East, or hang 70 in a state title game, or throw a last second TD pass on Graham to hang 76 on them and set an all-time scoring record against them."  The complete inability for Bluefield's fans to achknowledge this decades-long "tradition" is just bizarre.

To be fair, wasn't Freddy suspended for that game against Graham? 

34 minutes ago, THS6805 said:

Got remember guys, tazewell only has 24 players. They do route during game. You will only see one string for tazewell tomorrow night. Good luck to both teams tomorrow night. 

I sat with some former coworkers on the Graham side when we played them and heard the comments made that we still had our first string in.  I quickly jumped on that and said we only have a single string right now.

My hope is that the dogs can stay healthy and score a few times against the beavers. Rome wasn't built in a day.... Tazewell Football sure won't be either. If they can get out of this game healthy and then win 2 of the 3 games later in the season vs. Grundy, Hurley, and Lebanon... 3-7 is a fantastic year for a team with 3 seniors and roughly 20 kids total on the team. Better days are ahead for the Dogs.

Love how the Bristol paper shows Tazewell @ Bluefield WV

Last Matchup Graham 48 Tazewell 12 Sept 2016

Read on down and TJ Kits scored twice on them last year...

Somebody really should do just a bit of fact checking...

1 minute ago, stu_bean said:

Have to forgive Allen Gregory... it was just yesterday that he wrote about Justus of Richlands and Turner of Union being out for the season.  Unless it happens in Washington County, news only gets to him by carrier pigeons.

2 hours ago, stu_bean said:

Despite everyone in Bristol trotting out that Pulitzer like some 16-point trophy buck every time the BHC is criticized, it is only marginally better than the BDT.  And the BHC has historically been, shall we way, "aggressive" in ways that would make the BDT blush.

12 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Despite everyone in Bristol trotting out that Pulitzer like some 16-point trophy buck every time the BHC is criticized, it is only marginally better than the BDT.  And the BHC has historically been, shall we way, "aggressive" in ways that would make the BDT blush.

I won't disagree in that in the least.  How is it that we are so lucky to have the best paper (BDT) and tv station (WVVA) in the whole area?

23 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Not everyone. I'm a lifelong Bristol resident, and the BHC drives me nuts!

1 minute ago, Falcon Mania said:

This from i would guess in their whole distribution area

It really doesn't matter who writes for BHC, or for that matter, who the sports anchors on WCYB are. They cater to the Tennessee side. Always have, always will. My son plays both baseball and football at VHS, and I've seen so many comical errors made in write-ups in the paper or on news broadcasts, that most people I know in Bristol, read and tune in more for the laughs, than to get actual news, when it comes to local sports.

7 minutes ago, Bearcat Dad said:

It really doesn't matter who writes for BHC, or for that matter, who the sports anchors on WCYB are. They cater to the Tennessee side. Always have, always will. My son plays both baseball and football at VHS, and I've seen so many comical errors made in write-ups in the paper or on news broadcasts, that most people I know in Bristol, read and tune in more for the laughs, than to get actual news, when it comes to local sports.

I've always been a huge advocate of Tim Hayes' work.  Tim knows his stuff and does his research.  The History with Hayes article each Friday in the paper is probably the most looked forward to bit of reading I have each week.

Sacco was excellent when he was here as well.  I don't know much about Nate, except he's a hockey fan like myself, so that makes him cool in my book.

Hayes isn't bad. I didn't mean to come across as saying that every article by every writer stinks. I just meant that there aren't very many times where the coverage of local sports either....

A) does not have factual errors, in regards to Onceadog's post above, or

B) doesn't show favoritism to the Tn. side. I understand that there are more readers/viewers on the Tn. side, but both the paper and the news station are located in Va. 

I can see how my post may come across as me dogging everyone to do with both media outlets. Maybe I should have said "For the most part". Some are better than others. They have all had their share of mistakes. 

If I had to pick the most reliable in my lifetime, it would be Sacco for me, as well.

1 hour ago, Bearcat Dad said:

Hayes isn't bad. I didn't mean to come across as saying that every article by every writer stinks. I just meant that there aren't very many times where the coverage of local sports either....

A) does not have factual errors, in regards to Onceadog's post above, or

B) doesn't show favoritism to the Tn. side. I understand that there are more readers/viewers on the Tn. side, but both the paper and the news station are located in Va. 

I can see how my post may come across as me dogging everyone to do with both media outlets. Maybe I should have said "For the most part". Some are better than others. They have all had their share of mistakes. 

If I had to pick the most reliable in my lifetime, it would be Sacco for me, as well.

Could be worse.  Could be like WVVA and have more coverage from teams that are an hour away instead of the teams in their own back yard...

I understand some errors as it's easy to have a misunderstanding but the prediction completely had a mashup of facts.  They seemed to know about Truck and Mookie but to confuse Graham as the Beavers, when they are normally predicting Graham on a weekly basis is a bit of a stretch for me.

BTW Here is the copy and paste of it:

Tazewell at Bluefield, W.Va., 7:30 p.m.

Last meeting: Graham 48, Tazewell 12 (Sept. 2, 2016, in Tazewell, Va.)

Bluefield leads this series by a 12-5 margin and should record another easy victory Thursday. … After enduring a rare losing record last season, the Beavers (4-0) are No. 1 in the West Virginia Class AA ratings. The stars for 32-year Bluefield head coach Fred Simon are senior halfback Mookie Collier and 218-pound senior fullback Jason “Truck” Edwards. Last season, Collier was a first-team all-state pick in football and basketball and a state champion in track and field. … Tazewell freshman Jamir Blevins has passed for 496 yards and eight touchdowns the past two weeks, but the Bulldogs are allowing 43 points per game. … Tazewell scored on a pair of passes from T.J. Kitts to speedy Mason Mullins last season in this game. Mullins will make another big play Thursday, but Bluefield will roll over the undermanned Bulldogs behind the “Truck.”

That's true with the paper, but I feel your pain when it comes to news coverage. WCYB is in Bristol Va, yet they have a love affair with all things Tennessee. Schools like Happy Valley and Cloudland get more coverage than the Bearcats, unless it comes to baseball. Then they ride the coattails of a school who has won, on average, one state championship every 3.5 years, over the last 26 years. When they do cover us, it's usually negative

For instance, our news station has Thursday Prep Picks. Most of the time, we're not even featured. That's been the case for years and years. 3 Fridays ago, we were actually featured against John Battle. All 3 "experts" picked Battle. That's fine, but they were wrong. Move to the following week, we were featured again, against Tn High. They all picked Tn. High. I don't blame them because Tn. High has won nearly 3/4 of the games in that rivalry. This time they picked correctly. Last Friday, against Wise, we were actually featured for the third week in a row. I couldn't believe it, until they opened their mouths. The female "expert" started by saying they have received some backlash from VHS supporters for not picking them yet on the season. So she at least admits that she may have underestimated VHS and she picks the Cats. The next "expert" echoes the backlash statement and says he tired of hearing it, so he picks the Cats so he doesn't have to hear about it for a week. Our main sports anchor and 3rd "expert" says he doesn't care about the backlash and picks Wise. He was wrong. They move on to the next game, while laughing and joking about VHS. It's been this way with the news for decades.

27 minutes ago, Bearcat Dad said:

That's true with the paper, but I feel your pain when it comes to news coverage. WCYB is in Bristol Va, yet they have a love affair with all things Tennessee. Schools like Happy Valley and Cloudland get more coverage than the Bearcats, unless it comes to baseball. Then they ride the coattails of a school who has won, on average, one state championship every 3.5 years, over the last 26 years. When they do cover us, it's usually negative

For instance, our news station has Thursday Prep Picks. Most of the time, we're not even featured. That's been the case for years and years. 3 Fridays ago, we were actually featured against John Battle. All 3 "experts" picked Battle. That's fine, but they were wrong. Move to the following week, we were featured again, against Tn High. They all picked Tn. High. I don't blame them because Tn. High has won nearly 3/4 of the games in that rivalry. This time they picked correctly. Last Friday, against Wise, we were actually featured for the third week in a row. I couldn't believe it, until they opened their mouths. The female "expert" started by saying they have received some backlash from VHS supporters for not picking them yet on the season. So she at least admits that she may have underestimated VHS and she picks the Cats. The next "expert" echoes the backlash statement and says he tired of hearing it, so he picks the Cats so he doesn't have to hear about it for a week. Our main sports anchor and 3rd "expert" says he doesn't care about the backlash and picks Wise. He was wrong. They move on to the next game, while laughing and joking about VHS. It's been this way with the news for decades.

Lmao... I watched that and thought it was cute.  They never seem to pick Ridgeview either, but neither does the BHC.  It's all good.  We like being the dog.  :)

1 hour ago, stu_bean said:

Could be worse.  Could be like WVVA and have more coverage from teams that are an hour away instead of the teams in their own back yard...

I understand some errors as it's easy to have a misunderstanding but the prediction completely had a mashup of facts.  They seemed to know about Truck and Mookie but to confuse Graham as the Beavers, when they are normally predicting Graham on a weekly basis is a bit of a stretch for me.

Bluefield leads this series by a 12-5 margin and should record another easy victory Thursday. … After enduring a rare losing record last season, the Beavers (4-0) are No. 1 in the West Virginia Class AA ratings. The stars for 32-year Bluefield head coach Fred Simon are senior halfback Mookie Collier and 218-pound senior fullback Jason “Truck” Edwards. Last season, Collier was a first-team all-state pick in football and basketball and a state champion in track and field. … Tazewell freshman Jamir Blevins has passed for 496 yards and eight touchdowns the past two weeks, but the Bulldogs are allowing 43 points per game. … Tazewell scored on a pair of passes from T.J. Kitts to speedy Mason Mullins last season in this game. Mullins will make another big play Thursday, but Bluefield will roll over the undermanned Bulldogs behind the “Truck.”

Come on dude, everyone is dying to hear every angle on that Man v. Lincoln County matchup next Friday night!  Can't get enough of that Central WV football!

1 hour ago, stu_bean said:

Outside of saying Graham at the top, what else is wrong with this? It looks perfectly fine to me??