Union vs Gate City

trumpet1988

My prediction: Guys like #54 & #40 call a team meeting. Toys are left at home. Anyone not in the game stands at attention cheering for their teammates. The game is reduced to one on one match ups. Blocking becomes violent. Tackling becomes predatory. The young men of 2017 grow up, remember who they are, and what they stand for. 

And where they come from.

GC 23 Union 21

Devils Remember.

2 minutes ago, Grapeape said:

My prediction: Guys like #54 & #40 call a team meeting. Toys are left at home. Anyone not in the game stands at attention cheering for their teammates. The game is reduced to one on one match ups. Blocking becomes violent. Tackling becomes predatory. The young men of 2017 grow up, remember who they are, and what they stand for. 

GC 23 Union 21

Devils Remember.

I appreciate your optimism, but I don't see GC being successful in many one on one matchups against Union. Not sure the talent is there now. 

32 minutes ago, Grapeape said:

GC 23 Union 21

Devils Remember.

No disrespect, but Union is THE team in SWVA this year. And GC has a lot of issues to work out. This is not the week that it works out.

GC upset Union? NEVER! We can't even get plays ran in and snapped in :25. Akers flirts with the playclock literally every play. We can't line up right, and etc, etc, etc! 

James Mitchell scores more points than GC accumulates in total yards.

Gonna take years for someone to rebuild this program after we are done letting Akers ruin it. 

Bears 55-0

It sucks...and yes I'm sour! 

5 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

James Mitchell scores more points than GC accumulates in total yards. Gonna take years for someone to rebuild this program after we are done letting Akers ruin it. 

Bears 49-0

It sucks...

This bum's ONLY qualification was that his last name wasn't Houseright. Pitiful. 

Simple fix...Get rid of Roberts bring back Reed...Get some GC tradition back.   Ferguson and Smith going to have earn their money and make some big boy decisions.   Oh yeah,   it be a lot better when Quillen not on school board too.   "Rat and Bubba" the root of it all.

10 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

GC upset Union? NEVER! We can't even get plays ran in and snapped in :25. Akers flirts with the playclock literally every play. We can't line up right, and etc, etc, etc! 

James Mitchell scores more points than GC accumulates in total yards.

Gonna take years for someone to rebuild this program after we are done letting Akers ruin it. 

Bears 55-0

It sucks...and yes I'm sour! 

I was stunned when they hired him. He struggled at Rural Retreat and I know Gate City has more talent than Rural Retreat yearly but if he didn't win at Rural Retreat with the powderpuffs on that schedule he's definitely not gonna win at Gate City with the teams they play.

Reed was contacted to gauge interest in the job after Houseright retired. He gave a firm no. The only way he would consider it is if Roberts was gone, and then it would still be a long shot. It's pathetic that he (Roberts) has a job in a school. Totally incompetent teacher and fired by both head coaches that he worked for as a coach. He has open contempt for students at his school. The fact that such an imbecile has a say so in any type of administration or decision making would be comical were it not so detrimental to the students. 

Good lord. I knew things at GC were tough, but I had no idea it was getting this bad. 

Anyways, about the game I think Union will win by a good amount. However, GC has given us so many dog fights in the past it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they did it again. 

Union - 48

GC- 13

Akers may not be a great coach, but GC isn't exactly bursting with talent, either. Gotta have the Jimmys and Joes before you worry about the X's and O's. Without either one, teams struggle. Also, frontloading the schedule looks good when you have the talent to compete...not so much when you don't.

12 hours ago, Grapeape said:

Reed was contacted to gauge interest in the job after Houseright retired. He gave a firm no. The only way he would consider it is if Roberts was gone, and then it would still be a long shot. It's pathetic that he (Roberts) has a job in a school. Totally incompetent teacher and fired by both head coaches that he worked for as a coach. He has open contempt for students at his school. The fact that such an imbecile has a say so in any type of administration or decision making would be comical were it not so detrimental to the students. 

Your inside information is wrong again but what is new. Gotta have the players is what it is all about.

12 hours ago, sup_rbeast said:

Akers may not be a great coach, but GC isn't exactly bursting with talent, either. Gotta have the Jimmys and Joes before you worry about the X's and O's. Without either one, teams struggle. Also, frontloading the schedule looks good when you have the talent to compete...not so much when you don't.

A good coach can only take a team so far without talent. Talented teams can only go so far without a good coach. If Akers is made of anything, GC will get better with time. They did seem to improve as last season progressed. This season they seem to be getting progressively worse, according to many of the GC faithful. 

"gotta have the players is what it's all about". 

LMAO

A freakin little league coach can get more out of these players than Akers/staff is right now.  Maybe because you practice in full pads on Thursday or you let a starter miss two practices each week and he still starts.  Cuss your players and allow kids to cuss you back until you get your feelings hurt so you kick one off.  This season is over for these poor kids who have busted their butts.  Sad situation. Thank you Roberts school board and "committee".   What a joke 

36 minutes ago, mw0729 said:

"gotta have the players is what it's all about". 

LMAO

A freakin little league coach can get more out of these players than Akers/staff is right now.  Maybe because you practice in full pads on Thursday or you let a starter miss two practices each week and he still starts.  Cuss your players and allow kids to cuss you back until you get your feelings hurt so you kick one off.  This season is over for these poor kids who have busted their butts.  Sad situation. Thank you Roberts school board and "committee".   What a joke 

If you know so much about it maybe you should have applied for the job. I have personally asked kids on the team if Akers cusses them and they said no!