Union vs Gate City

trumpet1988

I have no dog in this race, but Gate City has always been one big family. That seems to be over, maybe a new offense would help but I fear your season is lost. Lee high is a perfect example of what "not to do", they hired a champion coach out of NJ ,2years later he was gone , promoted the middle school guy  up and he was the man for two years ,then they ran him off . Now the new coach is benefiting from that groundwork by the other coaches, he looks like a super man , Akers may be a mistake, I don't see him lasting due to the community's objections . See you Friday

2 hours ago, goose111874 said:

I shouldn't have used bad but we've not exactly went against a good defense yet either. 

Well Richlands has a good defense I believe but that was with Turner. Haven't had to face a tough defense yet with the current attack I agree.

Obviously you haven't spent much time around Gary Chad or Jeremy. These coaches loved each one of these kids  and were well respected by the players because they knew that.  I also just flat out don't believe your comment about Gary saying anything about Hunter getting hurt to another player. If that was the case  then Gary would still be screaming because Hunter got the shit beat out of him.  I've watched Gary coach for years with my son playing for him and just to be honest he is just a flat out good Coach  and the kids love him.  I'm sorry yours didn't. 

Seems to me that y'all really don't want to vet a coach as much as you want the applicant who was rejected to have the job. That plays into the already ongoing narrative of Houseright supporters vs. the folks who wanted a HC from outside the system. Folks from both camps seem overly biased to me.

I can't believe people want Jeremy coaching defense (did you ever watch that mess?) and/or Reed coming back as head coach. Apparently I'm in the minority. They might've loved the kids, but that doesn't make them a great coach. Heck, I love people, but my hind end doesn't need to be on a sideline every Friday night. With the way it appears the little league has dropped off, maybe that's a good place to start.

5 hours ago, sup_rbeast said:

Seems to me that y'all really don't want to vet a coach as much as you want the applicant who was rejected to have the job. That plays into the already ongoing narrative of Houseright supporters vs. the folks who wanted a HC from outside the system. Folks from both camps seem overly biased to me.

Sad to say a lot of Blue Devils live in the past. They think if they bring back the same names they'll have the same results. They need to look at the field during the games  and see the lack of talent. If they run off this guy it's goin to be hard to talk a  new sensible person to come in there. Yes, new person. I think most fans are tired of the weird incest coaching some of you guys want.

Lots of drama on here I would say. To get back to the thread after reading this, I will go ahead and make my prediction for the game and I haven't seen any team play down there this year. 

Prediction:

Union       63

Gate City. 14

With this much dysfunction and division going on, I find it hard to believe that a team would be able to survive a "United" Union. I also find it hard to believe that it being such a rivalry as has been stated on here that Union will let up on the gas. This may be a hard game to watch.

Prediction Revision:

Union.      70

Gate City.  10

Halftime

Union.       56

Gate City. 0

When people start jumping ship this ship crashes and sinks. Just my opinion GC fans No coach or team can survive the division I am reading on here. You can only imagine what is being said at home by the parents. 

Good luck to both teams!

8 minutes ago, Fbman said:

Sad to say a lot of Blue Devils live in the past. They think if they bring back the same names they'll have the same results. They need to look at the field during the games  and see the lack of talent. If they run off this guy it's goin to be hard to talk a  new sensible person to come in there. Yes, new person. I think most fans are tired of the weird incest coaching some of you guys want.

Weird incest coaching?  

Oh no!  Is Akers last name really Targaryen and the GC head coaching position the Iron Throne?  

Watch out for a lady on a flying dragon. She may be your aunt. Don't end up sleeping with her. 

It's Game of Thrones people!  Now we have a thread going!  

It's the House Akers vs House ?    Who is the one destined to take the throne?  

Now this thread is great to read! 

15 hours ago, TTownTigers said:

I think Akers needs 3 years. Colobro is the man, but remember, Colobro also didn't coach offense at Abingdon. Abingdon turned it around and better on both sides of the ball, but keep in mind, the offense picked it up as much as the defense....

I don't know what he did, but assuming this is right.....

Tazewell has announced its new head football coach.  Nick Colobro was voted in 5-0 by the Tazewell Board of Education to become the new front man of the Bulldogs.  Colobro coached at Tazewell during the 80s and won two state titles as the head coach at Gate City.  He was the offensive coordinator at Abingdon in 2016

Just now, Union_Fan said:

I don't know what he did, but assuming this is right.....

Tazewell has announced its new head football coach.  Nick Colobro was voted in 5-0 by the Tazewell Board of Education to become the new front man of the Bulldogs.  Colobro coached at Tazewell during the 80s and won two state titles as the head coach at Gate City.  He was the offensive coordinator at Abingdon in 2016

If you're taking that from the BDT, always assume inaccuracy before accuracy.

1 minute ago, UVAObserver said:

If you're taking that from the BDT, always assume inaccuracy before accuracy.

I hear ya! But that particular quote was from WVVA.....I know, I know... HOWEVER, also found this one from Tricitiessports.com....

(9-4-2014)This Friday's Gate City at Abingdon football game has added significance because of the teams, coaches and their collective history.

Former Gate City head coach Nick Colobro is offensive coordinator at Abingdon and former Gate City assistant coach and alumnus Darren Reed is the head coach of the Falcons.

I have pointed this out before..........we just do not have the talent we have had in years past. Do not believe that can be argued.

We (To clarify: Meaning the people who will at some point decide Akers' fate) need to decide if Akers is, or is capable of, getting the most out of the talent on the team....... decide if he is capable of recruiting the kids in the hall to come out and play football......and decide how his locker room presence (not sure what else to call it) effects the team. I also agree that you should give a high school coach at least 3 years to see what he can do. Maybe even give him 5 years.

We have all heard stories about what might be going on in the locker room. I was told that Akers has boasted about another school fairly close to us being his "dream job". Not sure if that is true, but if so, does not do a lot for morale. No idea how many, if any, of the stories are true.

Dude had all winter, spring, and summer to develop a QB / offense. When 7 on 7 drills exposed our weakness in that area he quit going to them and decreased his player's opportunities for development as opposed to increasing exposure and improving. I guess he just said 'Screw it, we'll run the ball every down'. You see how that has worked. He didn't send any kids to camps to supplement his coaching deficits. The weight program is a joke. He personally attacks players to the point where he is near universally detested on the team. He has failed to recruit from the hallways because word is out as to how he treats his kids. The fundamentals (avoiding FUMBLES) are severely lacking. There is zero discipline, as one can see by many behaviors LHL outlined. He is driving players away, not bringing players in. 

I can't think of one positive thing to say about the guy. Giving him another year will set the program back five and totally waste a talented group of upper classmen in 18. 

19 hours ago, mw0729 said:

Completely agree LHL about missing to heal your starters.   But I was not referring to that situation at all. They have one that has missed one day about every week since he transferred in.  Missed two days last week  and at least one the week before not due to injury.  

He didn't start last week. Was suspended for the 1st qtr. He played 2 downs then supposedly got hurt. 

There used to be a day when a teams internal problems were just that, internal problems. That was before social media and the anonymity of a message board, I don't think the Gate City fan base attacking and eating each other is going to solve any problems. There are just a few facts that need to be addressed. 1. A change needed to happen 2. Jeremy had his chance at coaching because he was basically the head coach the last two seasons his father was there. 3. Darren Reed is not the answer 4. Is Akers the answer I don't know, but the was third choice for the job! and 5. Gate City doesn't have a lot of talent right now and no matter who the coach is they would be struggling. ( Fry, Robbins, Tom Turner, Cummings, Whoever.) the Blue Devil fans are just going to have to wear this for a few seasons until the talent returns and if it never does, well we had a helluva run.

Akers is struck on the wishbone. No clue why, it's a cluster you know what. The T actually made sense, the T put you in positions to out number the defense. In the T, if everyone just "got a piece" on their block (including backs) the back with the ball was already 4 yards deep into the 2nd level. The wishbone is a lot of spinning, pulling, and leaving defense players unblocked for a "zone like" read. I'm sorry, but you never leave a defensive lineman unblocked unless it's the read option out of the gun. The wishbone is the slowest developing formation I've ever seen. We are not even running it somewhat well either. We have players bumping into each other in the backfield, RBs are hitting Sallee as he is trying to hand the ball off to someone else. Backside defensive players are making tackles cause they are unblocked when a lineman pulls. I can sit in the stands and call Akers plays. So you know for a fact a defensive coord sees that too. But I could also sit in the stands and tell you what we were gonna do out of the T, but it's something we had perfected. The T is something players had ran for 8-9 years and we're comfortable with. I bet if you asked half those kids now they have never heard of the wishbone until Akers showed up. I am a firm believer you adapt your offense to you talent, we don't have the speed or power to run the bone. 

Another note, everyone points fingers at the talent level. I fully disagree with that. GC has always been known to take whoever and make them something. GC had always took overachievers, hard working, blue collar, hardnosed, stubborn kids, and took on true talented football teams and prevailed. As the saying goes, hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. Give Colobro this team in the mid 2000's and I bet they would be a whole lot better than what they are now. Good coaches/programs make good players, not inherit them. I grew up with kids who in Little League and Middle school lacked something. Once Colobro got ahold of them something changed. Colobro invested in his players, he built them, he gave them the confidence that they could do anything. Now we rely on good players just sliding into positions instead of helping players become good. Until we get a coach that players respect, fear, and love all at the same time it's gonna be rough sledding. I feared Colobro, while respecting him, Colobro would make me mad, but I loved him. Hardest thing to do as a coach is earn respect of your players. Akers shot that right off the bat by trying to change the tradition at GC. He said no jerseys on game day and that kids had to wear dress shirts and ties. It's been a downhill slide for Akers since. He's had the players and players families against him since last August. He finally went slack on that "rule" and let them wear jerseys on gameday. He started this season with dress shirts and ties again. Players got livid, he went back on his word on that rule in week 2. A coach keeps changing rules on the fly will never be respected. The guy cannot make his mind up (unless it's about his offense). 

The man also called 4 offensive plays vs Abingdon that the players have never heard of before and some players just looked at the sideline with a shrug in confusion. How does that even happen? Akers takes a step backwards each week. He hasn't proved that he is the man for the job with 15 games under his belt. Without Gary Collier intervening last season and MAKING Akers go to the spread, we wouldn't have won the 5 games we won last season. No Gary Collier to talk Akers out of anything this season. He has all new assistants that are going to do what he says "OR ELSE!"(From what I've heard). Coaches like Selfe and Burke need to be let loose on this team. Akers needs to quit sticking his nose into Burke's defense and let Burke coach it. Akers is hollaring the complete opposite on Friday nights than what Burke is, confusing the hell out of our guys. Akers needs to worry about his offense that cant even gain a first down. I'm done with Akers, he hasn't won me over. He had my support, but his boneheaded calls week to week has lost my support. I don't think I can handle another post game speech to players that goes like, "we are getting there, like I said we want to win the last game. We played a tough team, it'll get easier for us later in the season." I'm sorry, that s@$& doesn't fly GC. We want to win them all!!!

7 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

Akers is struck on the wishbone. No clue why, it's a cluster you know what. The T actually made sense, the T put you in positions to out number the defense. In the T, if everyone just "got a piece" on their block (including backs) the back with the ball was already 4 yards deep into the 2nd level. The wishbone is a lot of spinning, pulling, and leaving defense players unblocked for a "zone like" read. I'm sorry, but you never leave a defensive lineman unblocked unless it's the read option out of the gun. The wishbone is the slowest developing formation I've ever seen. We are not even running it somewhat well either. We have players bumping into each other in the backfield, RBs are hitting Sallee as he is trying to hand the ball off to someone else. Backside defensive players are making tackles cause they are unblocked when a lineman pulls. I can sit in the stands and call Akers plays. So you know for a fact a defensive coord sees that too. But I could also sit in the stands and tell you what we were gonna do out of the T, but it's something we had perfected. The T is something players had ran for 8-9 years and we're comfortable with. I bet if you asked half those kids now they have never heard of the wishbone until Akers showed up. I am a firm believer you adapt your offense to you talent, we don't have the speed or power to run the bone. 

Another note, everyone points fingers at the talent level. I fully disagree with that. GC has always been known to take whoever and make them something. GC had always took overachievers, hard working, blue collar, hardnosed, stubborn kids, and took on true talented football teams and prevailed. As the saying goes, hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. Give Colobro this team in the mid 2000's and I bet they would be a whole lot better than what they are now. Good coaches/programs make good players, not inherit them. I grew up with kids who in Little League and Middle school lacked something. Once Colobro got ahold of them something changed. Colobro invested in his players, he built them, he gave them the confidence that they could do anything. Now we rely on good players just sliding into positions instead of helping players become good. Until we get a coach that players respect, fear, and love all at the same time it's gonna be rough sledding. I feared Colobro, while respecting him, Colobro would make me mad, but I loved him. Hardest thing to do as a coach is earn respect of your players. Akers shot that right off the bat by trying to change the tradition at GC. He said no jerseys on game day and that kids had to wear dress shirts and ties. It's been a downhill slide for Akers since. He's had the players and players families against him since last August. He finally went slack on that "rule" and let them wear jerseys on gameday. He started this season with dress shirts and ties again. Players got livid, he went back on his word on that rule in week 2. A coach keeps changing rules on the fly will never be respected. The guy cannot make his mind up (unless it's about his offense). 

The man also called 4 offensive plays vs Abingdon that the players have never heard of before and some players just looked at the sideline with a shrug in confusion. How does that even happen? Akers takes a step backwards each week. He hasn't proved that he is the man for the job with 15 games under his belt. Without Gary Collier intervening last season and MAKING Akers go to the spread, we wouldn't have won the 5 games we won last season. No Gary Collier to talk Akers out of anything this season. He has all new assistants that are going to do what he says "OR ELSE!"(From what I've heard). Coaches like Selfe and Burke need to be let loose on this team. Akers needs to quit sticking his nose into Burke's defense and let Burke coach it. Akers is hollaring the complete opposite on Friday nights than what Burke is, confusing the hell out of our guys. Akers needs to worry about his offense that cant even gain a first down. I'm done with Akers, he hasn't won me over. He had my support, but his boneheaded calls week to week has lost my support. I don't think I can handle another post game speech to players that goes like, "we are getting there, like I said we want to win the last game. We played a tough team, it'll get easier for us later in the season." I'm sorry, that s@$& doesn't fly GC. We want to win them all!!!

You do realize that the only difference in a wishbone and a T is that the FB is up in the wishbone as opposed to even in the T.  That's literally the only difference.  The end result is that you in essence have an extra blocker inside for the wishbone, while the T allows more misdirection.  Blocking schematics can be adjusted for zone/man reads with either of those systems, but the nature of wishbone favors man while the nature of T favors zone.

Given that Gate City has the speed of a tree cemented into concrete, you'd want the extra blocker as opposed to running doomed misdirection plays.

TL;DR: You have little, if any, idea what you're talking about.