Union vs Gate City

trumpet1988

2 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

I mentioned in my first post on the topic that the T does give greater opportunities for misdirection and reads off-tackle.  However, this presumes that you have the personnel to execute efficiently around the edge, particularly from the FB and OT positions.  GC does not; in fact, Gate City is about as poorly suited to running the T as a team can be in their current format, with the lack of speed at the skill positions and along the edge.  That's really what I'm driving at here: his hatred for Akers and his blind fury about the situation in Gate City is so clouding his judgment that he can't see that his armchair coaching would result in disaster if implemented.

Unless you can effectively sell the FB Dive in a T formation (and with slow skill positions, GC really can't), then any advantage you gain on the inside is immediately eliminated, because the defense isn't kept honest with the FB Dive.  You lose that "extra man" advantage that the T supposedly helps with.  Whereas, with the Wishbone, the proximity to the line neutralizes the lack of speed from the FB position, and the FB remains a threat even when presented with the personnel limitations of the current Gate City team.

The T and Wishbone both attempt to create 3-on-2 and 1-on-0 opportunities along the edge, so I don't really find that argument in favor of the T that compelling.  As far as viability, there's a reason the Wishbone displaced the T in high school and college for over a half century.  

IMO, a team with little speed but a good sized line is better suited to the T than any other offense. All you have to do to be mildly successful is fire off and push as long as the FB runs hard and the QB takes care of the ball and carries out fakes. Everything after that is gravy and improvement.

4 hours ago, Grapeape said:

Foolishness. You think GC never went to 7on 7s before Akers? That's just comically inaccurate. As far as 2  players benching 225... 68, 45, 61, 54, 55, 40, 71, and 50 were all over 225 in prior to Akers getting hired. Probably more that I'm not aware of. 

Where are these stats listed? Seems pretty detailed for an avg fan to know. Did you coach last year?

Like someone stated, our FB play with Cregor or Calhoun is fine. Those 2 can gain yards when nothing is there with decent speed for both to be 230lbs+. We struggle with the other 2 backs. We do not have a true RB. Sallee not being a running threat also kills us. Defenses don't even account for Sallee running so they can double up a spy on Cregor or Calhoun. I don't like the FB up in the Bone cause sometimes he's in the hole too quickly (yup it's a thing). Sometimes you can get there before your linemen blocks develop. We just need to go back to a basic blocking scheme with a hat on hat. Run RIP and LIZ motion to kick out the OLB and just run off tackle with bellys, waggles, and whams like these kids grew up running. We need to get downhill. We need to quit all this stupid spinning Sallee all the way around, faking handoffs, and just run it at somebody with 2 backs lead blocking. Miss your block and ride some pine. Get back to the days when football was simple. Akers is only outsmarting his self. 

And Wasp, Colobro might not have a win. But I bet these kids wouldn't be leaning on the fence shooting the crap with mommy, daddy, or Susie Q. And I bet after a loss their butts would be in the locker room quickly. There's more too being a successful program than just the football part. The discipline part leads to successful football. Haircuts, shaving, matching socks, no visors, no pink cleats, no skull caps of headbands, locker inspections, players responsible for cleaning the fieldhouse, taking helmets/game cleats home to be cleaned on Wed. it starts with the little things. 

"Take care of the little things and the big things will take care of themselves" - Nick Colobro. 

4 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

Like someone stated, our FB play with Cregor or Calhoun is fine. Those 2 can gain yards when nothing is there with decent speed for both to be 230lbs+. We struggle with the other 2 backs. We do not have a true RB. Sallee not being a running threat also kills us. Defenses don't even account for Sallee running so they can double up a spy on Cregor or Calhoun. I don't like the FB up in the Bone cause sometimes he's in the hole too quickly (yup it's a thing). Sometimes you can get there before your linemen blocks develop. We just need to go back to a basic blocking scheme with a hat on hat. Run RIP and LIZ motion to kick out the OLB and just run off tackle with bellys, waggles, and whams like these kids grew up running. We need to get downhill. We need to quit all this stupid spinning Sallee all the way around, faking handoffs, and just run it at somebody with 2 backs lead blocking. Miss your block and ride some pine. Get back to the days when football was simple. Akers is only outsmarting his self. 

And Wasp, Colobro might not have a win. But I bet these kids wouldn't be leaning on the fence shooting the crap with mommy, daddy, or Susie Q. And I bet after a loss their butts would be in the locker room quickly. There's more too being a successful program than just the football part. The discipline part leads to successful football. Haircuts, shaving, matching socks, no visors, no pink cleats, no skull caps of headbands, locker inspections, players responsible for cleaning the fieldhouse, taking helmets/game cleats home to be cleaned on Wed. it starts with the little things. 

"Take care of the little things and the big things will take care of themselves" - Nick Colobro. 

I agree about the discipline 100%. I'm old school but would like to see more double teams and combo blocks but jmo 

Me too.

I just think we can put these kids in better positions to win and be successful. Sallee really needs to stay in the pocket and throw quick short passes. Akers only wants to throw the homerun pass on 3rd down. He keeps making up formations each week, but it's nothing that helps these kids. Once they go to crap he quickly ditches it back to his safe place in the bone. 

This thing is in the crapper and Akers has a steep uphill fight if he wants to compete after this Friday is over. RV, JSB, Lee, and WC are not the same teams they were last season. They have grown up and gotten a year smarter, stronger, and faster. Throw Marion in there and it's no easier. The last 5 are just as hard as the 1st 5 IMO. 0-10 for Akers and there will be a lot of unhappy people. I never heard so much complaining about a coach in all my life than I did Friday. (Not counting UT fans with Butch Jones, that easily takes the cake)

9 hours ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

Me too.

I just think we can put these kids in better positions to win and be successful. Sallee really needs to stay in the pocket and throw quick short passes. Akers only wants to throw the homerun pass on 3rd down. He keeps making up formations each week, but it's nothing that helps these kids. Once they go to crap he quickly ditches it back to his safe place in the bone. 

This thing is in the crapper and Akers has a steep uphill fight if he wants to compete after this Friday is over. RV, JSB, Lee, and WC are not the same teams they were last season. They have grown up and gotten a year smarter, stronger, and faster. Throw Marion in there and it's no easier. The last 5 are just as hard as the 1st 5 IMO. 0-10 for Akers and there will be a lot of unhappy people. I never heard so much complaining about a coach in all my life than I did Friday. (Not counting UT fans with Butch Jones, that easily takes the cake)

Being a lifelong fan of both, it's necessary unfortunately.

1 hour ago, pbjellyman said:

too funny,kinda like being caught with someones wife and then you claim your their best friend.everyone should know who i am, looking forward to seeing my GATE CITY FRIENDS friday night, scoreboard end visitors side, big ugly bald cop..

13 hours ago, Odin said:

I'm wondering when RC, TS, and GC will consolidate to form Scott County High School?

Not for quite a while IMO.  The infrastructure of the county doesnt support it.  I believe the first step would be shutting down TS as their numbers keep falling.  This would move kids from Nicklesville/Snowflake to GC and Fort Blackmore/Dungannon to Rye Cove.  GC and RC are two very old school buildings, but the county has done a good job of maintaining them.  You really cant just merge RC/TS to make a bigger school.  

If Scott was to ever build a single consolidated school it would have to be placed near the 72/71 intersection or near the quarry pond off 23.  Moccasin Gap funnels so many kids through from Hiltons/Weber City/Yuma it becomes a challenge on how you would ever split the county into two new schools with similar enrollments.  

Both the offensive and defensive lines for Union have played very well this year; and I look for them to have an advantage again this week when the Bears host the Devils.

I think the linemen are the biggest that UHS has had to put on the field - the O-line is certainly impressive in stature.  Based on the announced starting line ups as compared to my roster "cheat sheet" from last week's game against Ridgeview, the front five's weights in pounds were 315, 270, 265, 265, 290.  I think those big fellows may help explain why Union is rushing for 400+ a game!

The loss of Turner at QB is a serious blow to the Bears gridiron squad, but I think they are still a formidable opponent.  I've been a fan of SWVA high school football too long to count out Gate City but I think Union wins this game by a couple touchdowns.

3 hours ago, Grapeape said:

Wrong. I do not presently, nor have I ever coached anything. I'll post my opinions within the rules of the forum, same as anyone else. If you don't love it, don't read it. 

? Still Wrong, fella. Bye. 

8 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Wow... this guy is persistent isn't he??  Might need a sledgehammer for this guy... 

Yup....and now that post is gone...again....and he's on his way to being banned....again. That may be a record. Twice in the same day?