Union vs Gate City

trumpet1988

52 minutes ago, Jason said:

I do too! 

Some sandwich man said who a few of the posters were, got blocked, made a new user, posted again, got blocked again. I'm sure there are tons of screen shots around. Also said they're making GC look like fools on the message board. Basically all info everyone already knew. 

11 minutes ago, Fbman said:

Some sandwich man said who a few of the posters were, got blocked, made a new user, posted again, got blocked again. I'm sure there are tons of screen shots around. Also said they're making GC look like fools on the message board. Basically all info everyone already knew. 

There seems to be one fanbase per year that exposes itself for being knuckleheads.  Hurley was the program last year.  Gate City is on the verge of asking Hurley to hold its beer.

12 minutes ago, Fbman said:

I guess its someone that knows them. 

16 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

There seems to be one fanbase per year that exposes itself for being knuckleheads.  Hurley was the program last year.  Gate City is on the verge of asking Hurley to hold its beer.

Man on man, lol, GC fans have done absolutely nothing to you. I disagree with your comment, especially because you classify all GC fans as knuckleheads.  That's inaccurate and a bit immature.  Perhaps, Hurley can hold GC's beer when it beats your team by about 70 points or wins 2 times the amount of state titles.  I sense resentment, especially in a thread that simply doesn't pertain to you, and not one Gate City fan has lashed out at you or attacked you. 

18 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

Man on man, lol, GC fans have done absolutely nothing to you. I disagree with your comment, especially because you classify all GC fans as knuckleheads.  That's inaccurate and a bit immature.  Perhaps, Hurley can hold GC's beer when it beats your team by about 70 points or wins 2 times the amount of state titles.  I sense resentment, especially in a thread that simply doesn't pertain to you, and not one Gate City fan has lashed out at you or attacked you. 

As I tried to tell the few rational Hurley fans on this board last year, 60% of you are making 100% of you look like entitled yet clueless nitwits.  And the same thing is happening with Gate City fans this year.  60% of the Gate City contingency (many of whom are the very same ones that kamikaze'd the LPD and Mountain District Boards) are making the whole lot of you look almost mentally unstable.  More rational Gate City fans, like yourself, should really take it upon yourselves to police the knuckleheads among you.  That's my beef: too many of your compatriots are polluting this place like Ferngully.

I think doxxing like whatshisface did was egregious and has no place in any online community.  But he did have (only) one salient point: this infighting is making everyone who bleeds blue in Scott County look awful.  Will Akers succeed there?  Probably not, especially since Gate City is doing a great Tazewell impression.  But the kids that are out there are busting their asses, and deserve more unity that what Generation X is giving them.

As for Gate City's tradition and titles?  Congrats, I guess?  I don't have one iota of envy.  My school has won 3, and is the only school in SWVA to have won THE state title that existed prior to 1970.  Plenty of tradition in these parts, hombre.  We'll make the playoffs again, for something like the 25th time in 27 years.

As for the tenor of my posts, I am an acquired taste.  I'm like Parmesan: I go great with crusty bread and stout beer.  Take it or leave it.  GMan is more like a boot full of ice cold Arrogant Bastard beer.  We all have our different flavors and kicks.

I was already under the impression everyone knew who I was anyways. I've been known as LHL at all GC ball games for several years now. It's not like I'm hiding behind LHL.  My identity being "exposed" will not make me "think twice" about what I say. (If that is what that person was going for.) I speak my mind and the truth. I apologize to anyone who gets butt hurt over it. Sorry...this losing thing is new to me.  

1 minute ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

I was already under the impression everyone knew who I was anyways. I've been known as LHL at all GC ball games. My identity being shared won't make me "think twice" about what I say. I speak my mind and the truth. Sorry to anyone who gets butt hurt  over my comments. Sorry...this losing thing is new to me. 

I probably wouldn't know you either way anyway lol. 

1 minute ago, UVAObserver said:

As I tried to tell the few rational Hurley fans on this board last year, 60% of you are making 100% of you look like entitled yet clueless nitwits.  And the same thing is happening with Gate City fans this year.  60% of the Gate City contingency (many of whom are the very same ones that kamikaze'd the LPD and Mountain District Boards) are making the whole lot of you look almost mentally unstable.  More rational Gate City fans, like yourself, should really take it upon yourselves to police the knuckleheads among you.  That's my beef: too many of your compatriots are polluting this place like Ferngully.

I think doxxing like whatshisface did was egregious and has no place in any online community.  But he did have (only) one salient point: this infighting is making everyone who bleeds blue in Scott County look awful.  Will Akers succeed there?  Probably not, especially since Gate City is doing a great Tazewell impression.  But the kids that are out there are busting their asses, and deserve more unity that what Generation X is giving them.

As for Gate City's tradition and titles?  Congrats, I guess?  I don't have one iota of envy.  My school has won 3, and is the only school in SWVA to have won THE state title that existed prior to 1970.  Plenty of tradition in these parts, hombre.  We'll make the playoffs again, for something like the 25th time in 27 years.

As for the tenor of my posts, I am an acquired taste.  I'm like Parmesan: I go great with crusty bread and stout beer.  Take it or leave it.  GMan is more like a boot full of ice cold Arrogant Bastard beer.  We all have our different flavors and kicks.

I agree with you on the Parmesan.  Don't know about the whole state title thing.  I'm hoping to Gosh GC isn't doing the Tazewell thing.  I have heard that mentioned before and it scares the heck of out me and I'm serious.   I hope it doesn't pan out that way.  Either way, I am going to be there and support the kids and big blue.  You know what is scary?  The scary part not just for me, but I think deep down for most GC fans is worrying about a talent issue. We want so badly to believe it's the system or the coach or this variable or that variable, but deep down, we know that if the problem truly is a talent thing, then it's a much harder problem and long term problem requiring fixing.  Well, at least that's my worries.  Either way, good luck to your G-Men the rest of the way who will not need it.  I watched them down here and it's pretty obvious, they are much better than us.  I will be rooting for Graham come playoff time assuming they come out of SWVA.  I think the G-Men are better than Richlands and Giles and Union this year.

4 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

I agree with you on the Parmesan.  Don't know about the whole state title thing.  I'm hoping to Gosh GC isn't doing the Tazewell thing.  I have heard that mentioned before and it scares the heck of out me and I'm serious.   I hope it doesn't pan out that way.  Either way, I am going to be there and support the kids and big blue.  You know what is scary?  The scary part not just for me, but I think deep down for most GC fans is worrying about a talent issue. We want so badly to believe it's the system or the coach or this variable or that variable, but deep down, we know that if the problem truly is a talent thing, then it's a much harder problem and long term problem requiring fixing.  Well, at least that's my worries.  Either way, good luck to your G-Men the rest of the way who will not need it.  I watched them down here and it's pretty obvious, they are much better than us.  I will be rooting for Graham come playoff time assuming they come out of SWVA.  I think the G-Men are better than Richlands and Giles and Union this year.

Of course it's talent. I don't condone blasting kids on here, I don't think it's right. But in your mind think of the best players on GC... then think of the best players on some of the teams they play. I guarantee GC boys work harder than any other team they just lack the athleticism. 

The level of dysfunction is unprecedented, but it sure as hell is not the fault of disgruntled fans posting on a messages board. I agree that the talent level on the 2017 GC squad isn't championship caliber but it is certainty not 1-9 or 0-10 caliber, either. We have been dominated by 3 teams who are all having down years. We are likely about to be dominated by a good team with a patchwork offense. We will be the underdog against Ridgeview, Battle, and Lee. Should Central find an adequate replacement at QB we will be an underdog against them, too. People that care about the program are speaking out in an attempt to expose the obvious problem. Throw all the shade you want, but if the program that you love was being derailed by a cabal of idiots, you would speak up too. 

On 9/17/2017 at 2:56 PM, goose111874 said:

Gonna have to find a QB before we get the passing game going.  I think I'm the only Union fan who has noticed how bad the offense looks right now.  I keep hoping we go to Qualls but he seems to be the third choice.

Same thing I said in another thread. Mitchell will not make it through the rest of the season if they stay in the wildcat. Qualls is actually a very good QB has a really good. Could be they are working it in for later in the season but if they don't it will be one and done come playoff time.

11 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Beautiful, man, just beautiful!!!  Truer words have never been spoken...

9 hours ago, Grapeape said:

We have been dominated by 3 teams who are all having down years. We are likely about to be dominated by a good team with a patchwork offense. 

That right there isnt exactly fair to the kids on GCs team nor the ones they have faced so far.  Richlands and Abingdon are not as explosive as last year but they have done pretty well for themselves this year so far.  South has been better than expected.  Daniel Boone is a solid club.  Yes Union lost their starting QB but that doesnt mean they became terrible because of it.  Different dynamics, YES, but still quality opponents.

1 hour ago, 1inStripes said:

That right there isnt exactly fair to the kids on GCs team nor the ones they have faced so far.  Richlands and Abingdon are not as explosive as last year but they have done pretty well for themselves this year so far.  South has been better than expected.  Daniel Boone is a solid club.  Yes Union lost their starting QB but that doesnt mean they became terrible because of it.  Different dynamics, YES, but still quality opponents.

Couldn't have said it better myself.  If you had asked me about this year in the spring I would have said it was a rebuilding year.  But it's more of a reloading year.  The Falcons do things different than the past few years but they are getting results.  Richlands, like AHS aren't as explosive, this is true, but they will gel and get rolling.  As for Union and losing their QB, don't worry they aren't going to implode.  They will still be a quality opponent.

I have been to Legion Field several times and I can't remember a time when the home stands weren't packed, Until this year and we all wondered why GC fans were sitting on the visitors side when there were numerous seats on the home side.  That spoke volumes.

Has anyone thought about this?The kids playing on the team for GATE CITY now started football in the feeder programs(peanut,8th grade ,jv ball)under HOUSRIGHT AND COMPANY.PHIL ROBBINS gave an interview once about the success at POWELL VALLEY,he stated that one reason that he took the job was , they had just won state in 1982,and they had talent coming back but the most important thing was they had a great peanut league .I don't know anything about the feeder programs there but i know that  TRAVIS TURNER spends time with our small kids watching them and insuring that they run the same plays in peanut as they do for UNION, and that the proper techniques are used even at 8 years old.

2 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

Still good programs compared to everyone else this year. But very down compared to the past few years. Anyone who has watched those teams you mentioned, know they are not the powerhouses they have been. Though they are above mediocre, a person can't sit there and actually believe those schools are deep playoff contenders. GC had the most winnable 4 games to start the season than they have had in a very long time. It just shows how far GC has dropped. I'm tired of hearing "after we get through these first 5 games we'll be ok". You never heard that crap until after 2012. I'm just tired of all the excuses. 

"I have been to Legion Field several times and I can't remember a time when the home stands weren't packed, Until this year and we all wondered why GC fans were sitting on the visitors side when there were numerous seats on the home side.  That spoke volumes."

To clarify.........the "home" side at GC is 99% reserved seats for season ticket holders.

GC fans have always sat on the "visitors" side. Generally on about half of the visitors side.

52 minutes ago, Falcon Mania said:

I have been to Legion Field several times and I can't remember a time when the home stands weren't packed, Until this year and we all wondered why GC fans were sitting on the visitors side when there were numerous seats on the home side.  That spoke volumes.

Non-reserved seating on GC homeside was pretty full for Abingdon. It was the reserved seating that fairly empty. Everyone who sits on the away side has always sat there, why move to the home side cause there is room? I like my seat on the away side, that's why I stay over there. 

1 hour ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

Still good programs compared to everyone else this year. But very down compared to the past few years. Anyone who has watched those teams you mentioned, know they are not the powerhouses they have been. Though they are above mediocre, a person can't sit there and actually believe those schools are deep playoff contenders. GC had the most winnable 4 games to start the season than they have had in a very long time. It just shows how far GC has dropped. I'm tired of hearing "after we get through these first 5 games we'll be ok". You never heard that crap until after 2012. I'm just tired of all the excuses. 

"Winnable games" with previous squads aren't necessarily winnable with a current squad. Just because the opponents may not be as good as usual doesn't mean a team should beat them...especially if the team isn't as good as usual either.

3 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

Has anyone thought about this?The kids playing on the team for GATE CITY now started football in the feeder programs(peanut,8th grade ,jv ball)under HOUSRIGHT AND COMPANY.PHIL ROBBINS gave an interview once about the success at POWELL VALLEY,he stated that one reason that he took the job was , they had just won state in 1982,and they had talent coming back but the most important thing was they had a great peanut league .I don't know anything about the feeder programs there but i know that  TRAVIS TURNER spends time with our small kids watching them and insuring that they run the same plays in peanut as they do for UNION, and that the proper techniques are used even at 8 years old.

I'm curious about the state of GC's LL, middle school, and JV teams. How have they performed? How many kids are coming out? Does the 'LL program receive any input from the high school staff?

3 hours ago, Great City said:

"I have been to Legion Field several times and I can't remember a time when the home stands weren't packed, Until this year and we all wondered why GC fans were sitting on the visitors side when there were numerous seats on the home side.  That spoke volumes."

To clarify.........the "home" side at GC is 99% reserved seats for season ticket holders.

GC fans have always sat on the "visitors" side. Generally on about half of the visitors side.

I have not ever kept up with the far end of the state as much as I have this year since the Cats moved up to AA. I like to know who we may face if we make it to the playoffs. I do however have a question for any and all of the posters on this board. I have never in my life heard of a high school that had reserved seating in the way that is described here. It's not like it's Lambeau Field or anything where you pass down tickets to.yoir family members and you are there for life until.you die right?  

Are there many high schools out there who have reserved seating for football games?  

Maybe there are and I haven't known about it.  

I kind of think it is weird though. 

6 minutes ago, HowTheWestWasWon2017 said:

I have not ever kept up with the far end of the state as much as I have this year since the Cats moved up to AA. I like to know who we may face if we make it to the playoffs. I do however have a question for any and all of the posters on this board. I have never in my life heard of a high school that had reserved seating in the way that is described here. It's not like it's Lambeau Field or anything where you pass down tickets to.yoir family members and you are there for life until.you die right?  

Are there many high schools out there who have reserved seating for football games?  

Maybe there are and I haven't known about it.  

I kind of think it is weird though. 

Hmmmm..................guess I assumed all high school teams have reserved seating for season ticket holders. BTW, there are no reserved seats come playoff time.

Uh..........actually..........there are a lot of GC season ticket holders who keep the same seats for many, many years.