Union vs Gate City

trumpet1988

Who are contenders for the state title this year in 1A and 2A?  Some big games this weekend for.power points the way it looks. 

1A Region C:

1. Narrows 17.5
  2. Galax 17
  3. Bland County 14.33333
  4. George Wythe 14.25
  5. Covington 14.25
  6. Auburn 12.25
  7. Bath County 9.75
  8. Parry McCluer 8.66667
  9. Rural Retreat 8
  10. Craig County 6.75
  11. Eastern Montgomery 6.75

2A Region C:

1. Glenvar 22.5
  2. Floyd County 22
  3. Dan River 19.75
  4. Gretna 19
  5. Appomattox 18.33333
  6. Fort Chiswell 17
  7. Giles 16.25
  8. Martinsville 15.33333
  9. Chatham 14.5
  10. Nelson County 13.75
  11. James River 13
  12. Buckingham County 10.75
  13. Radford 9

1A Region D:

1. Patrick Henry 17
  2. Honaker 15
  3. Hurley 14.75
  4. Castlewood 13.5
  5. Northwood 12.5
  6. Grundy 12.33333
  7. Thomas Walker 12.25
  8. Chilhowie 12
  9. Holston 11.5
  10. Twin Valley 8.75
  11. J. I. Burton 8.33333
  12. Eastside 8.33333
  13. Rye Cove 6.75
  14. Twin Springs 6.5

2A Region D:

1. Marion 21.5
  2. Union 20.5
  3. Virginia High 19.25
  4. Ridgeview 18.5
  5. Graham 17.33333
  6. Lee High 17.25
  7. Grayson County 15.5
  8. John Battle 15.5
  9. Wise Central 14
  10. Richlands 13.66667
  11. Lebanon 11.5
  12. Tazewell 11.25
  13. Gate City 10.75

6 minutes ago, HowTheWestWasWon2017 said:

I have not ever kept up with the far end of the state as much as I have this year since the Cats moved up to AA. I like to know who we may face if we make it to the playoffs. I do however have a question for any and all of the posters on this board. I have never in my life heard of a high school that had reserved seating in the way that is described here. It's not like it's Lambeau Field or anything where you pass down tickets to.yoir family members and you are there for life until.you die right?  

Are there many high schools out there who have reserved seating for football games?  

Maybe there are and I haven't known about it.  

I kind of think it is weird though. 

I have had season tickets a few times through the years at Gate City, there use to be a very large waiting list for them. I gave mine up the last time when my work schedule went crazy and have never tried to get them back. They have been involved in a couple of divorce cases I have been told, so they used to be a precious commodity. When I go I always sit on the north (visitor) side, It is way more fun over there than the home side. I think most schools offer the chance of buying season tickets, I know all the Tennessee schools do.

Union has 240 plastic chair back seats that are reserved. The rest are up for grabs with the exception of the band and student sections.

Not sure about Appalachia, but PV had a reserved section going back to at least the mid 80s.

I know that Richlands does as well. Not sure about anyone else.

Union's only apply to the 5 regular season home games.

59 minutes ago, SXSW said:

I have had season tickets a few times through the years at Gate City, there use to be a very large waiting list for them. I gave mine up the last time when my work schedule went crazy and have never tried to get them back. They have been involved in a couple of divorce cases I have been told, so they used to be a precious commodity. When I go I always sit on the north (visitor) side, It is way more fun over there than the home side. I think most schools offer the chance of buying season tickets, I know all the Tennessee schools do.

Whoa whoa whoa!!!! They have been involved in a COUPLE of divorce cases?  It's high school football  The tickets were probably worth what 30 or 40 dollars?  I see why people from GC are going nuts on this board. People expect Super Bowl     champions not conference winners. People from other places are going to read this and die laughing. I can see it now. We make it to a state playoff game in football or dare I say basketball and play Gate City       in a region or state game. One of.our students will hold up a sign that says, "My mom got divorced     from my dad in Gate City and all.she got were these crappy football tickets!" I'm not sure how the game   will go on Friday. If Gate City were to lose and someone from Union sees this and the band plays a wedding march if they win, that might be equivalent to Baker Mayfield planting the flag on the O at Ohio State. 

1 hour ago, Grapeape said:

I'm curious about the state of GC's LL, middle school, and JV teams. How have they performed? How many kids are coming out? Does the 'LL program receive any input from the high school staff?

Numbers in LL are low. Three of the teams did not have enough to field the JV and Varsity teams for LL. Some of the kids played two games a night so there would be enough. Travel ball we have 3 teams. 8U, 10U, and 12U. In that order there are 12, 14, and 12 kids for each team. One of the 14 on the 10U team transferred over from the Lynn View team yesterday. If you want a look at the travel teams they will be at Gate City Saturday playing Johnson City. Start time should be around 10 or 11 am. 

Each side of Legion Field holds 2500. I think they were approved to let another 2500 in to stand, not sure if that is still the case. GC has definitely had crowds around that 7500 mark, but not recently. I believe they offer up 2000 season passes with reserved seating and they go FAST, with legacy buyers getting first dibs to renew each year. If I'm not mistaken, 500 seats on the scoreboard end are reserved for the band / student section. 

Visiting fans generally stick to the parking lot end of the south grandstands to the tunnel. From the tunnel to the field house you will generally find GC fans that can't / don't buy season tickets. I don't believe they are any more vocal than the home side fans, but due to the setup they happen to be right on top of the visiting team. I've seen many interesting interactions between GC fans and opposing coaches / players. It's generally in good fun; I've never seen a fight between fans.

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

Numbers in LL are low. Three of the teams did not have enough to field the JV and Varsity teams for LL. Some of the kids played two games a night so there would be enough. Travel ball we have 3 teams. 8U, 10U, and 12U. In that order there are 12, 14, and 12 kids for each team. One of the 14 on the 10U team transferred over from the Lynn View team yesterday. If you want a look at the travel teams they will be at Gate City Saturday playing Johnson City. Start time should be around 10 or 11 am. 

When did GC start fielding travel teams? Are they the same kids that play for the Rams / Packers / Colts / Skins? How are the middle school teams doing? 

1 hour ago, HowTheWestWasWon2017 said:

I have not ever kept up with the far end of the state as much as I have this year since the Cats moved up to AA. I like to know who we may face if we make it to the playoffs. I do however have a question for any and all of the posters on this board. I have never in my life heard of a high school that had reserved seating in the way that is described here. It's not like it's Lambeau Field or anything where you pass down tickets to.yoir family members and you are there for life until.you die right?  

Are there many high schools out there who have reserved seating for football games?  

Maybe there are and I haven't known about it.  

I kind of think it is weird though. 

A lot of the bigger schools in SWVA have reserved seating. It's typically right in the center. GC is a little different in the fact an entire side is reserved. At Richlands, the bleachers are painted two different colors, White and Blue. White seats are reserved and can be purchased from the high school for I believe $40. That ticket guarantees you a seat for all regular season games, AND when the playoffs come, you get to keep your assigned seat, but you still have to pay to get in. But that seat is yours. My grandparents have had their reserved seats since 1981. Haven't moved since then. Blue seats are general admission. 

1 hour ago, Great City said:

Hmmmm..................guess I assumed all high school teams have reserved seating for season ticket holders. BTW, there are no reserved seats come playoff time.

Uh..........actually..........there are a lot of GC season ticket holders who keep the same seats for many, many years.

39 minutes ago, Grapeape said:

When did GC start fielding travel teams? Are they the same kids that play for the Rams / Packers / Colts / Skins? How are the middle school teams doing? 

Not sure about the middle school teams. Started travel ball last year. They have played Morristown and Lynn View so far this year and lost to both. The 12U team held good against both before tiring out in the 4th. 

45 minutes ago, Grapeape said:

And yes they are the same kids from the little league. You can also see them practice Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday at 6pm on Kane field. 

3 hours ago, HowTheWestWasWon2017 said:

Whoa whoa whoa!!!! They have been involved in a COUPLE of divorce cases?  It's high school football  The tickets were probably worth what 30 or 40 dollars?  I see why people from GC are going nuts on this board. People expect Super Bowl     champions not conference winners. People from other places are going to read this and die laughing. I can see it now. We make it to a state playoff game in football or dare I say basketball and play Gate City       in a region or state game. One of.our students will hold up a sign that says, "My mom got divorced     from my dad in Gate City and all.she got were these crappy football tickets!" I'm not sure how the game   will go on Friday. If Gate City were to lose and someone from Union sees this and the band plays a wedding march if they win, that might be equivalent to Baker Mayfield planting the flag on the O at Ohio State. 

HEY! Don't bring my Sooners into this. Haha. 

7 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

And the LL program has went to pieces with extremely low numbers. I hear the Middle School team is struggling as well. I heard Union whipped them along with the JV this week. It's getting better any time soon. 

I'm not sure about the 8th grade game but the jv game was around 45-0 Union.

5 hours ago, Grapeape said:

I think Akers started that last year. I think they would have more kids but Scotty has a basketball league going right now also.

5 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

A lot of the bigger schools in SWVA have reserved seating. It's typically right in the center. GC is a little different in the fact an entire side is reserved. At Richlands, the bleachers are painted two different colors, White and Blue. White seats are reserved and can be purchased from the high school for I believe $40. That ticket guarantees you a seat for all regular season games, AND when the playoffs come, you get to keep your assigned seat, but you still have to pay to get in. But that seat is yours. My grandparents have had their reserved seats since 1981. Haven't moved since then. Blue seats are general admission. 

Wow Ridgeview's are $100 but include a parking spot near the entrance gate to the field as well as the reserved seat.  

8 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Wow Ridgeview's are $100 but include a parking spot near the entrance gate to the field as well as the reserved seat.  

You can get a parking pass. And my grandparents do. I just don’t know how much that is. I’ve always parked on the little hill that leads into the stadium between the bus lot and the main parking lot. 

I talked to a long time Gaty City alum/fan former parent of player today. Sounded like to him things are so bad with Akers that any type of reconciliation is impossible. Akers had a good second year at Rural Retreat. Parent was telling me he didn't Akers could survive for a 3rd year.   

2 minutes ago, Single A west said:

I talked to a long time Gaty City alum/fan former parent of player today. Sounded like to him things are so bad with Akers that any type of reconciliation is impossible. Akers had a good second year at Rural Retreat. Parent was telling me he didn't Akers could survive for a 3rd year.   

Same here. I've talked to multiple current and former players, as well as parents. Akers' relationships and interactions with players are so toxic they are virtually irredeemable. It has little to do with Xs and Os. Strong possibility that this will be his last semester at GC. 

2 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

VHS has 2 options. $45 can get you a reserved seat and parking pass for all home, regular season football games. $100 gets you an All-Sports pass that includes the football package plus admission to all home games for all regular season sporting contests for the year, with the exception of when Oak Hill makes their annual trip to the Bearcat Den.

11 hours ago, Jason said:

Unions 7/8 beat GC 38-12 Monday and Unions JV won 41-0 over GC same day.

16 hours ago, HowTheWestWasWon2017 said:

I didn't say it was true, I am just saying that is what I heard! I am not at all crazy. This has probably been the low point of Gate City fandoms social media lives! This post went from talking about the Union game to everybody from GC turning on each other like a cornered rattlesnakes. It has been an embarrassment at times to see the venom spewed at each other. We need to support the kids and hope things get better. 

10 hours ago, wasp90 said:

I think Akers started that last year. I think they would have more kids but Scotty has a basketball league going right now also.

Last year was the first year. The 10U team only had one loss last year. A few of the kids on the travel team play in the basketball league too.