Union vs Gate City

trumpet1988

1 hour ago, SXSW said:

I didn't say it was true, I am just saying that is what I heard! I am not at all crazy. This has probably been the low point of Gate City fandoms social media lives! This post went from talking about the Union game to everybody from GC turning on each other like a cornered rattlesnakes. It has been an embarrassment at times to see the venom spewed at each other. We need to support the kids and hope things get better. 

Now hold on...

1. 'EVERYBODY' isn't 'turning on' each other. There was a disagreement about bench presses, and another about T vs. Wishbone formations. There is some debate as to whether Akers should get another year or go at the end of the season, but that's pretty civil. The poster arguing with me about bench presses argues with everyone about everything, it's pretty much her M.O. That's certainly not Everybody.

2. We don't need to Hope. We need to expose the insurmountable evidence that the current coach was a bad hire and needs to go asap. Colobro has expressed desire to be a HC again, perhaps offer him a 'Head Coach Emeritus' position, let him choose the HC in waiting, and give him 4 or 5 years to train his replacement with a presence in the program after he turns over the reigns. Let Akers coach special teams and tennis at Rye Cove. 

55 minutes ago, Grapeape said:

Now hold on...

1. 'EVERYBODY' isn't 'turning on' each other. There was a disagreement about bench presses, and another about T vs. Wishbone formations. There is some debate as to whether Akers should get another year or go at the end of the season, but that's pretty civil. The poster arguing with me about bench presses argues with everyone about everything, it's pretty much her M.O. That's certainly not Everybody.

2. We don't need to Hope. We need to expose the insurmountable evidence that the current coach was a bad hire and needs to go asap. Colobro has expressed desire to be a HC again, perhaps offer him a 'Head Coach Emeritus' position, let him choose the HC in waiting, and give him 4 or 5 years to train his replacement with a presence in the program after he turns over the reigns. Let Akers coach special teams and tennis at Rye Cove. 

I guess 14 games qualifies as "insurmountable evidence" these days.  I'll just warn you folks: you're 1-2 coaches ran off away from being Tazewell.

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

I guess 14 games qualifies as "insurmountable evidence" these days.  I'll just warn you folks: you're 1-2 coaches ran off away from being Tazewell.

Take this reply, for example: not a GC person, but some random person with no idea what's really going on trying to stick their finger in the pie. The simple answer is that the current situation is a talent issue without understanding the real issues. This is not GC infighting, this is an uninformed message board know it all trying to argue about something in which they know nothing about. Look with your own eyes, listen with your own ears, and be careful who you listen to. 

When the fans start quarreling amongst themselves on a forum, it's not a good sign. I'm simply making an observation. Nothing more. Nothing less. 

Gate City will be back. Just not right now. Give Akers time. If he is worth anything then GC will be back in due time.

2 hours ago, trumpet1988 said:

When the fans start quarreling amongst themselves on a forum, it's not a good sign. I'm simply making an observation. Nothing more. Nothing less. 

Gate City will be back. Just not right now. Give Akers time. If he is worth anything then GC will be back in due time.

Hard to give someone time who keeps driving players away. If the players don't like someone, then how is anyone else going to? He's showing his true colors right now. Won't take advice from assistants or players. He doesn't care about what the other coaches or players see on the field to make adjustments. It's Akers world and everyone is just living in it. He's extremely stubborn, set in his ways, and not willing to adapt. He's a captain of a ship and will stay with her as she sinks, while everyone else abandons ship. He's just not the guy for the program. And you'll ask, "who is?" I'm not sure what the answer is, I just know it's not him. He's proved enough (or hasn't) in 15 games to make that call. In a "rebuilding" year, you rally the troops, get everyone on the same page, get players to buy in to your system. None of that has happened, he's failed due to his own system. 

Just a question for the GC fans that want Akers gone.   If Colobro was hired a year ago how many wins would GC have right now are what would there record be at the end of the season.   Maybe if Akers had the talent GC did in 03, 10, maybe he was have a few State Titles too.  

It's not really about W's/L's. It's mainly about the attitude and state of the program. Losing seasons are no fun in any way. BUT you have to show promise for the future, you have to keep your team mentally focused, keep your team with a positive outlook. Even though you may be losing, but players are starting to buy in into what your selling, the state of the program is in a better place. Akers' attitude is rubbing off on the team, he questions himself a lot, so the players are questioning him as well. A good coach in these situations are able to hold things together for "tomorrow". We fall apart after someone scores or we turn it over, we just let the life get sucked out of us. You have to fight through adversity. Jimmys and Joes help, but like I said, some talent is natural born. But most people work very hard for the atheletic ability. I don't think we have the right people in place to get these kids to develop into strong, fast, and smart football players. Yes, people would be upset with an 0-4 start with any coach. But someone who has an established winning coaching career is going to get the benefit of the doubt, someone who hasn't proved hardly anything is hard to trust. 

1 hour ago, UniON_FoOtBaLL said:

Just a question for the GC fans that want Akers gone.   If Colobro was hired a year ago how many wins would GC have right now are what would there record be at the end of the season.   Maybe if Akers had the talent GC did in 03, 10, maybe he was have a few State Titles too.  

This is a hypothetical answer to a hypothetical question, but: Coach Colobro would have developed an offense tailored to the skill set of his kids. He never fielded an offense this inept in his career. He would have a defensive coordinator and assistant coaches that he trusted to do their jobs. He would not attack kids personally. He would not be contacting kids the week before the first game promising starting positions with total disregard to the guys that have been showing up all off season \ summer. Fundamentals would be sound. Discipline would be present. I guarantee, under Colobro, this group competes with Richlands and Abingdon, maybe beats South. I have zero doubt that Colobro would have this team in the playoffs.

14 hours ago, Grapeape said:

Now hold on...

Learn to tell the truth and maybe people will not argue with you.

16 hours ago, Grapeape said:

Now hold on...

Five years of Colobro would bring fundamental back to Gate City.I would for sure offer him a chance to do just that.

Throughout this thread, I've kept wondering a few things...just gonna put 'em out there.

1-Out of the first 4 games, who exactly should GC have beaten?  Looking down the schedule, I don't see a team in those four who GC is better than. 

2-Out of the games left, how many of those should GC be the clear favorite in?  Out of the 6 games left, I only see one team who GC is clearly better than...and that is due in large part to injury.

3-The biggest question is this...with the level of talent currently at GC, I think GC's record is where it would be even if the coach was Nick Saban. 

It's clear to me that GC is just in a sour run when it comes to athletes.  In order to be successful, you have to have athletes and you have to have talent to coach up.  Without that, it doesn't matter who your coach is.  Just my 2 cents.

The talent is at GC. They just choose not to play football because it's in shambles. I could name about 10 kids who used to play that have transferred out or decided to just play other sports due to the State of the program. You're starting 5 on the basketball court used to play football. Those 5 kids alone would make a difference. They probably made they right move not playing health and future wise. Our football program is not appetizing to these kids anymore, what reward is there to play? Not the kind that's seen on the basketball court at GC now. We have went stale. 

GC SHOULD have competed closely in every game this season. I have yet to see a team that makes me go "WOW". I personally think the 4 teams we have played are weak. But SWVA/NETN as a whole is weak this year. GC took themselves out of the Richlands/Abingdon game with turnovers. GC competed with South and possibly could have won if the convert on 4th and 1. GC didn't even show up last Friday at Boone due to on the field and off the field issues between players/coaches and fans/coaches. There's more going on than the lack of X's and O's and the Jimmys and the Joes. 

24 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

The talent is at GC. They just choose not to play football because it's in shambles. I could name about 10 kids who used to play that have transferred out or decided to just play other sports due to the State of the program. You're starting 5 on the basketball court used to play football. Those 5 kids alone would make a difference. They probably made they right move not playing health and future wise. Our football program is not appetizing to these kids anymore, what reward is there to play? Not the kind that's seen on the basketball court at GC now. We have went stale. 

GC SHOULD have competed closely in every game this season. I have yet to see a team that makes me go "WOW". I personally think the 4 teams we have played are weak. But SWVA/NETN as a whole is weak this year. GC took themselves out of the Richlands/Abingdon game with turnovers. GC competed with South and possibly could have won if the convert on 4th and 1. GC didn't even show up last Friday at Boone due to on the field and off the field issues between players/coaches and fans/coaches. There's more going on than the lack of X's and O's and the Jimmys and the Joes. 

At most schools you have a few B-Ball players who don't play football because of the scheduling conflicts between open gym and football practice.  From what I gather, McClung didn't play last year partially because of the injury he suffered the year before.  He is a leader on the B-Ball team, and other kids have followed suit.  All schools in this day and age have kids walking the hallways who would be good players, but they don't want to play.  It's not just at GC.  I think GC needs to start balancing out the football schedule.  Waiting until week 5 or 6 to get a win will fuel sour feelings every single year.  If they are going to keep the schedule, at least don't frontload it...spread it out. If you guys remember, last year at this time GC was in basically the same boat as now.  The sky didn't fall then, and it won't this year, either.

This thread turned into a discussion about the status and future of Gate City football with some agreements and some disagreements. The discussion has been largely civil in nature.It's largely been non-GC folks in this thread acting as talking heads in some posts or attempting to stoke the flames or make something worse than what it is.

With the amount of input from the GC fans in this thread, it would be difficult to have a more civil discussion on a message board in my opinion. This again shows that GC is class. Comparing GC to Hurley and Tazewell is comical. "We ain't the same." We've actually won forever and ever until just a few years ago. GC will be back. There's no denying that, and for all GC fans who have posted in this thread, I thank you for your thoughts and honest opinions and the discussions which were heated at times, but overall, the discourse was pretty solid and done with class.  Regarding one poster's comments about "removing coaches" sheds little light on the issue.  Removing is an afterthought of the root. The root is.......the hiring decisions.  This is where Tazewell has struggled over the years.  It's not who they have removed.  It's who they have hired, yet that is a much more difficult discussion and problem with large sets of variables.  Additionally, a hiring is more private and hidden more behind the public eye compared to a firing or removal.  My point is, careful who you hire.  Additionally, when Colobro was hired back at Tazewell (finally a good decision on their part in many years) there were already concerns about the offense he ran and questions within days about the subject.<-----strictly hearsay and opinion, but what I was told by two folks that live in Tazewell.  Immediately, Colobro came to his senses and realized, this isn't the old Tazewell he was accustomed to.  Regardless of these matters, Gate City could hire, fire or remove 5 coaches in the next 5 years and GC and Tazewell are still......not the same.  Rings get a little old, but you can polish them up.  State Title Banners can be reprinted.  In summary, state titles, regional titles, district titles, and the rest don't go away.  That's the difference and the two are not the same, whether a non-GC fan "wants" those two to be the same or not.  Wishing something, and something being a certain way aren't the same.

So, for the rest of the fans not from GC who have tried to make mountains from anthills, you have lost. Chalk that up in your history as yet, another loss to the Big Blue. I want to be clear that I am talking only about some fans who have attempted to make this thread seem more negative than it is. I am certainly not implying that all or even most non GC fans did that in this thread. There were only a few, but that few had a loud voice.  GC fans, I thank you for the discussion and thoughts and whether we agree or disagree, we all want GC to win again, and that internal desire and fandom is what has made GC so great for a long time.  That internal desire and fandom is what separates us from the rest.  It's exactly why a team like GC can never truly "stay down."  It's just not possible.   Its a blimp in the radar screen in a short moment in time.  I will not be here in 2050, but by 2050, the Gate will have added more state titles to the collection than the overwhelming majority of the rest of the teams/schools in SWVA from now until 2050.  Why?  History is a good teacher, but tradition and a desire to win is an even greater teacher and predictor, those things haven't changed at GC, no matter how down we seem to be or what the record is, or what the situation looks like at this moment in time, the underlying things that have made us "different" from the rest haven't changed.  They are still in GC (and somewhat across the border in TN of course, lol).

Go Big Blue 

Problems been brewing at GC for awhile now.  GC faithful should have known when the entire coaching staff with the exception of Akers left after last year there was a big problem.  Lack of talent is one thing but when kids start completely walking away from the program, you've got to wonder why?  Coach Turner will not run the score up.

"The talent is at GC. They just choose not to play football because it's in shambles. I could name about 10 kids who used to play that have transferred out or decided to just play other sports due to the State of the program. You're starting 5 on the basketball court used to play football. Those 5 kids alone would make a difference. They probably made they right move not playing health and future wise. Our football program is not appetizing to these kids anymore, what reward is there to play? Not the kind that's seen on the basketball court at GC now. We have went stale."

As a life long resident of SWVA this statement is interesting. I have no knowledge of the current coach but do recognize past coaches names. My question about this statement is those 5-10 kids that atre not playing that could help is when did they quit?  quit the day they met Akers? If so he was never given a chance. If they had already decided no to play that is on the old staff. GC may just have hit a rut like many schools do although they are 2A the school is not that big. Talant coens and goes. It does seem to be a mess and the fine folks that do deeply care about the program need to continue to support the young men that are sacrificing for the team. I wish the Devils the best.

The problem is not akers....he could not help it he stepped into disfunction.  However, he is not helping himself.  The problem is with the overall administration of not only the school, but the county as well.    Scott County may very well go 1-29.  The one being TS beating the Cove.  Time for a change in a lot more than just the football coach at GC...it would be a good start though

Tigers, I'm not quoting that behemoth of a post, because the amount of text we mobile phone users have to scroll through is ridiculous at 25 posts/page as it is, but I'm referring to yours, for the record:

(1) You've been completely blind to the childish, entitled antics of your compatriots this whole thread long.  It is not at all unlike the written vomit Hurley fans posted last year.  It is very much like the crap that your fans did to shutter the LPD and MD boards.  And if you run Akers off, you're not getting Colobro back.  Nice fantasy, but no.  You're going to be stuck with a retread or some young buck who hasn't proven anything.  And with your youth league system nearing tatters already, you're right in line to endure a Tazewell-like streak of losing.  Frankly, given how absurd many GC fans have been here, I think some time in the barrel might not be a terrible thing for y'all.

(2) Nice "declaration of victory", as you reflect back on an 8+ page, 200+ post thread that's been one of the biggest crap shows on this board in a year or more.

(3) As we say in my profession, past conduct is not an indicator of future performance.  Richlands hasn't won a state title in 12 years despite some incredible teams.  Graham hasn't won one in 22.  Tazewell, who has a little history, hasn't won one in 31.  It's difficult even with a stellar team, but guaranteeing more?  That's a symptom of the disease of more that Gate City fans have shown to this board in abundance.  I think you are much closer to being the new Tazewell than you are of bringing back hardware.  

(4) Best of luck to Gate City tonight.  One, they will need it.  Two, for the kids who are ignoring the unwarranted and undeserved division in their community, they need it.

16 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Tigers, I'm not quoting that behemoth of a post, because the amount of text we mobile phone users have to scroll through is ridiculous at 25 posts/page as it is, but I'm referring to yours, for the record:

(1) You've been completely blind to the childish, entitled antics of your compatriots this whole thread long.  It is not at all unlike the written vomit Hurley fans posted last year.  It is very much like the crap that your fans did to shutter the LPD and MD boards.  And if you run Akers off, you're not getting Colobro back.  Nice fantasy, but no.  You're going to be stuck with a retread or some young buck who hasn't proven anything.  And with your youth league system nearing tatters already, you're right in line to endure a Tazewell-like streak of losing.  Frankly, given how absurd many GC fans have been here, I think some time in the barrel might not be a terrible thing for y'all.

(2) Nice "declaration of victory", as you reflect back on an 8+ page, 200+ post thread that's been one of the biggest crap shows on this board in a year or more.

(3) As we say in my profession, past conduct is not an indicator of future performance.  Richlands hasn't won a state title in 12 years despite some incredible teams.  Graham hasn't won one in 22.  Tazewell, who has a little history, hasn't won one in 31.  It's difficult even with a stellar team, but guaranteeing more?  That's a symptom of the disease of more that Gate City fans have shown to this board in abundance.  I think you are much closer to being the new Tazewell than you are of bringing back hardware.  

(4) Best of luck to Gate City tonight.  One, they will need it.  Two, for the kids who are ignoring the unwarranted and undeserved division in their community, they need it.

In response to your post.  I respect it, but disagree with most of it.

On point 1. I disagree, plain and simple.  This is SWVA Sports, not the LPD board or MD board, and the behavior has been very reasonable and the discussion civil.  What little Johnny and Jimmy do in grade 4 and room number 2 doesn't justify or make right or make wrong what little Tommy does in room 5.  Regarding Akers being "ran off," that in an of itself is already an invalid description, if in fact he doesn't last.  I love the label you have already placed on it.  GC can do BETTER than most other schools in the coaching hires; therefore, whether we get Colobro back or not is not the point.  The point is, our tradition and history allows us to do better, and the assumption of us getting an "unproven young buck who has proven nothing" is your opinion.  It's also a faulty one.  Do you really believe Gate City doesn't have any Tony Palmers (using a Graham analogy since you are a Graham fan and Graham has had a resurgence with the new Coach)?  Remember, Gate City has MORE Tony Palmers to pick from because we are Gate City, if you wish to use that analogy.  We will be fine with the coaching department.

On point 2.  A "declaration of victory."  LOL, GC is victory.  It doesn't need much declaring, but again, I disagree with you on the "crap show of 8 pages in the last year."  It's a message board.  This means.....people actually leave and post messages.  Again, not one new thread started from the current one and nobody from GC lashing out towards non-GC fans.  GC fans have not hurt one person, including you.  You could take any thread on any message board in the United States and say, "what a crap thread."  That's your opinion, but again, you seem to have been heavily involved, yet you are not a GC fan.  That again tells me, you have some animosity or some distaste for GC.  I don't have any idea why, again, nobody from GC has done anything to you, so why the distaste?  It just doesn't make much sense.

On point 3.  You need to change your profession if you think or say or write, "past conduct or behavior is not an indicator of future performance."  Fact is and statistically proven, past conduct or behavior is actually an incredibly valuable predictor of IMMEDIATE future performance.  Additionally, don't think in "all or none" or "black and white" terms as something can be slightly in the middle of a paradigm.  For example, past conduct or behavior doesn't absolutely and 100% of the time indicate future performance.  The other part of that equation is NOT true in that........past behavior or conduct NEVER effects future performance.  You see, the answer truly rests somewhere in the middle, but the thing for GC is.....it's history isn't in the middle.  It's at the top, so the launching point for the equation favors GC COMPARED to the overwhelming majority of other SWVA teams.

On point 4.  Gate City will certainly need some luck tonight, but as for "attention in the community" (as if there are riots in the streets or the buildings are decaying) as you hyperbolize the situation, we again disagree on that to.  GC is fine and will be just fine.